What's new

Waffles & Weissbier Wanderlust - Day 2: Bruges

Hutch

Strata Poster
With Phantasialand being my top bucket list park for several years now, and Ride to Happiness being the top coaster on my bucket list, a coaster trip in this region was something I’ve been itching to do these past couple years. Originally we looked into a shorter trip that involved the Belgian parks and finishing off with Phantasialand, but adding on Europa Park was too tempting. And in turn that makes Holiday Park and Tripsdrill a no-brainer as well, so this trip extended into a two week journey, which is the longest theme park related trip I’ve ever done. We made sure to set aside some days for sightseeing in between, so thankfully the trip wasn’t all “go-go-go!” (although to be honest every day was still very busy).

Day 1 - Ghent

I flew out of Boston the day before Labor Day, giving myself a morning layover in Zurich before arriving in Brussels around midday. I actually did a family trip to Brussels 10 years ago as my first visit to Europe (throwback to this trip report here). Having done the city then and not leaving myself with a big impression (and hearing the general consensus of the city otherwise), Brussels was not considered for this trip, with priority focused on some of the smaller cities instead. I was very drawn to Ghent, with its medieval city center and Dutch-style canals, so we started out with a few days there.

GTrUTyn.jpg

I failed to get any decent sleep on the overnight plane, so I was pretty out of it when I arrived in Ghent. So naturally I hopped on the tram in the wrong direction. Fortunately it was pretty easy to correct that mistake, and before long I was in the city center.

e8wtlon.jpg

Yh1q28L.jpg

Turn around the corner of this church and this is what you see:

4rsNPKw.jpg

02yKrKH.jpg

fdelOMv.jpg

I met up with my friend at the hostel (which had an amazing location), dropped my bag, and had a wander around.

Ws2ttu2.jpg

2GmcPTp.jpg

xrSpXyv.jpg

jKYiYiK.jpg

VG1dEkv.jpg

uNvoZ9Y.jpg

jNW44gr.jpg

BywazyO.jpg

FgLBfHi.jpg

zdqAukw.jpg

oNCX7ou.jpg

Most of what there is to see in Ghent (mainly the three church towers) is pretty close together, but we did wander further out (somewhat) along a canal on the east side, before looping back in.

tXBLSzA.jpg

Nz0HHa9.jpg

OTANADw.jpg

MEA1B39.jpg

4emm3Nx.jpg

vDjIHNI.jpg

v6K035a.jpg

9Dfe3km.jpg

0Pv1tnl.jpg

lTdumSI.jpg

rz8cV84.jpg

nCHi5Ug.jpg

j8CrBz6.jpg

6lPUYHu.jpg

gUN4Zh8.jpg

WZkFTda.jpg

tO7vIxC.jpg

w9fFdNM.jpg

aOTiqNN.jpg

AZAjztc.jpg

Eventually making it back through the Vrijdagmarkt...

a39TeLC.jpg

2sDh9lt.jpg

ANyYqZv.jpg

ZOO9mq9.jpg

4Q7UZot.jpg

xIYgOMD.jpg

sRFjFak.jpg

…and the Gravensteen Castle (didn’t go inside).

8wc9mm9.jpg

Lt2Zts5.jpg

MdZ7VOF.jpg

dIgE3p8.jpg

9BQRxF3.jpg

qR02x4C.jpg

DBCQqT6.jpg

LIbcovu.jpg

And by then our room was ready, allowing us to settle in for a bit. The view from our hostel was the reason we stayed here (and still much cheaper than a basic hotel).

SCpBO8G.jpg

So that was all very lovely to walk around. That main corridor in particular with the three churches is just incredible. Again, we didn’t really go inside much. We’ll peek into some churches if they’re open (more to come later), but didn’t really bother with any upcharges or museums and whatnot. Those generally aren’t really my thing, plus the exteriors of the structures are much more interesting.

And while there were definitely some tourists and a couple of tour groups out and about, the city center did not feel overwhelming at all, especially compared to some of the other cities we'll see. It was pretty nice and, outside of the tour boats and some other groups, it really did feel like it was locals doing their thing.

Our walk earlier gave myself a second wind, so I was good to go out for dinner and grabbing some drinks at Dulle Griet, or what we called the “Shoe Bar.” You can get a half-yard of beer, but it requires a deposit of one of your shoes! They dump them in a bucket that’s hoisted up to the ceiling, and you don’t get it back until you finish your drink! Some hostel mates met up with us as well, so it was a great evening to kick off the trip.

KVWNhC4.jpg

DuKelgV.jpg

KVJ0FLr.jpg

WcNIxnv.jpg

NXa4kyV.jpg

Last edited:
You've pretty much summed up my feelings on Ghent as well. It's a gorgeous place that fortunately feels ignored by a lot of tourists, meaning that the locals are really friendly as well. It's a million miles away from that s**thole of a capital city.

Day 2 - Bruges

My friend had to work this day, leaving me on my own to do whatever I please. I left this day open in case I was too exhausted the previous day and wanted more time to explore Ghent, but it was pretty easy to see most of what there was in a couple hours. Instead, I decided to do a little day trip to Bruges, which originally wasn’t on the itinerary, but was one of those "if we had time" scenarios.

Weirdly enough the main station for Ghent is near the southern edge of town rather than being close to the center. From our hostel/city center, it’s either a 30 min walk, or about 20 min using the nearest metro station. I ended up just waking this time around as I wasn’t in any rush, hugging the canal southward.

N0axLRx.jpg

bHZcgjB.jpg

qdZwOgR.jpg

And the train to Bruges was very easy, only 25 min, with frequent departure options. Like Ghent, the station to Bruges isn't very central. I took a stroll in, using the church towers as general destination points, while wandering off and getting distracted by other things on the way.

dyDlYMe.jpg

K107Duh.jpg

PAekhFc.jpg

FP5YU8V.jpg

IoLBSPL.jpg

OEjcEGe.jpg

AHZksPS.jpg

L5EDpqU.jpg

BPTnISm.jpg

TajJPHu.jpg

SkevPBE.jpg

3la2DHH.jpg

z6gTpON.jpg

KXdoGcR.jpg

iMeYBwj.jpg

a6F2HiV.jpg

aINBCw9.jpg

2q4eP63.jpg

The old neighborhood between the station and city center seemed fairly quiet at first. There were definitely a few people out and about, clearly here for some sightseeing, but as I went further in I began to see more and more tour groups. At one point I turned a corner and wound up on a main street just filled with touristy shops and packed sidewalks. I'm pretty sure I saw more selfie sticks this day alone than the last 10 years combined.

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised by how touristy Bruges ended up being, but I just wasn’t expecting it at all. Especially compared to Ghent, which is a little closer to the larger Belgian cities, and whose city center is much more magnificent.

rqnBM6v.jpg

I kept wandering around some more, getting distracted by other things on the way to the main plaza.

l7FXUG8.jpg

TIzgHZu.jpg

I popped into this beer garden that was tied to some very touristy shops. Didn't stay for a drink, but they had a "Tintin Chapel" upstairs and a nice view of the canal nextdoor.

DrBVdYi.jpg

GDfO8Gq.jpg

XF72nOy.jpg

G9OwNv6.jpg

IhNzgAJ.jpg

UwRTRlY.jpg

I eventually made it to Grote Markt. Again, lots of horse carriages on standby and tourists working on their Instagram posts. Buildings were very nice though.

WlSKWr6.jpg

hqLgGKQ.jpg

tkhzA2Q.jpg

YXYrAX7.jpg

VNzfNtn.jpg

8ewOtsp.jpg

TprsWyI.jpg

Kl1CcOz.jpg

At €15, it’s a bit pricey to climb the Belfry, but it’s kind of the main thing to do in Bruges, so I went along with it anyway (and this was the only time on the trip I did something like this). Nice views at the top, with all the bells chiming/scaring people at seemingly random moments.

nAbQwkA.jpg

epwhU2v.jpg

S4L46Eo.jpg

City Hall plaza:

iXiu7AJ.jpg

b2OZNMy.jpg

And from there I slowly made my way back, popping into another church on the way while avoiding the rain.

dfd9xjh.jpg

7PpJwCR.jpg

sEU114D.jpg

duAWvnR.jpg

SufYo4q.jpg

LQ2caR6.jpg

GISpWsW.jpg

jkbdjRc.jpg

JDl1lEI.jpg

I’m really glad I got the chance to visit Bruges, especially since I didn’t really plan for it despite hearing good things. That said, I’m happy I did it as an easy day trip instead of staying there overnight. All the tourists were somewhat of a surprise, especially for a random Tuesday in September. I also didn’t get the sense that there was a ton to do or places to go out, outside of the basic sightseeing. With that said, we were really satisfied with our stay in Ghent.

Speaking of Ghent, that night a hostel mate and I met up at a blues bar, which was an absolute blast and one of the highlights of the trip. A saxophonist and pianist put on an incredibly fun show, and the bar was filled with locals with some pretty impressive swing dancing. I honestly would’ve been fine taking it easy that night as we had an early start the next day, but I’m glad I made the spontaneous choice to stay out a bit.

I've got coasters coming up next... we'll be starting out with a bang.