What's new

VinWonders | Phú Quốc, Vietnam | Theme Park

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I think I've found it. The most egregious trim ever installed. I wasn't really a fan of this model to begin with, but now that that trim turns it into a ?ing DIVE COASTER, I really don't care about it now. Now I'm concerned about the Shockwave layout getting neutered by the trim on that drop.
Abyssus has slightly fewer brake fins on the top hat than this so hopefully, it won't be as big of an issue.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^To follow on from that post, the ride also has a SECOND trim half way through:-

Screenshot_20200424-083040.png

Quality is a bit **** but you can see pictures of it earlier in the thread.

No wonder the ride is running fairly slow-ish (compared to the likes of Lech).

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
It's testing footage and we're yet to see if Vekoma further fine-tune vehicle performance. Gotta admit it doesn't look as impressive as in the animation, but that's also because Lech set the standard so high.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Dont get all the hate for that trim on the top hat.

I mean it was designed to have that trim as a holding brake. The comment about how it turns it into more of a dive coaster is spot on. It was even advertised from the start as having a holding brake before the beyond vertical drop so not sure what people were expecting? Some sort of special brake that doesn't slow the train down?

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Was anyone actually expecting some sort of ejector hill? Vekoma have been super clear on all these coasters that they are drops and nothing more.

Matt N

CF Legend
If Vekoma intends for the brake to be a selling point of the ride, then I don't think it's a problem. I think Intamin are putting a similar sort of element onto Parc Asterix's 2022 launch coaster, correct me if I'm wrong. Besides, you don't tend to go over tall top hats like that with a huge amount of speed anyway, and you should still get some great ejector over it in the back!

Also, it might be worth remembering that Vekoma will have engineered this coaster with the trim in mind; without it, the ride would likely be too intense and subject its riders to too much g-force.

With regard to the ride looking slower than Lech Coaster, that might not necessarily be a bad thing, as some people find Lech too intense. The ride might appeal to a wider demographic.

Having watched the POV, I think the ride looks fantastic! The launch looks nice and punchy, it looks very smooth and comfortable and it looks to have some really fun elements, with some nice hangtime in there!

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Besides, you don't tend to go over tall top hats like that with a huge amount of speed anyway, and you should still get some great ejector over it in the back!
I wish more coasters would actually take advantage of how good a top hat can really be though. From my experience OCT Thrust is the only one that really sustained the airtime from the climb, over the crest of the top hat, and down the drop. I would LOVE to see some more with similar shaping.

Based on the shaping of the top hat on the Firestorm model however the trim seems to be necessary, albeit not to that extent. The exit of the top hat is so awkwardly tight that without a trim that air may be a tad aggressive.

nadroJ

CF Legend
That's the most joyful train of coaster riders I've ever heard, they all sound like they're having the best time XD

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Launch and tophat look great, rest of the ride looks underwhelming compared to what it could be, due to the excessive trims. Really hope the other one in China isn't this trimmed. Also **** that camera stabilising.

This may be the first Vekoma to not have any friction brakes on the brake run or in the station alongside the drive tyres.

Last edited:

Dar

Hyper Poster
That looks really cool, start to finish tbh. If you're of a mind to let one very necessary and deliberately designed trim ruin it for you, maybe save the plane fare to Vietnam.

Kinda getting Taron vibes from that video, in that it almost definitely rides better than it looks in the POV, and it already looks pretty good in the POV!

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Launch and tophat look great, rest of the ride looks underwhelming compared to what it could be, due to the excessive trims. Really hope the other one in China isn't this trimmed. Also **** that camera stabilising.

This may be the first Vekoma to not have any friction brakes on the brake run or in the station alongside the drive tyres.
I think you'd die if the trim wasn't there and anyway its supposed to be a stall trim