What's new

Vidam Park bankrupt, to close...

TilenB

Strata Poster
rollermonkey are you sure about this?
Only article, that I've found about it is almost 3 years old, and there is nothing on screamscape. It would be a great loss, especially because of the Hullamvasut :(

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Glad I went a few weeks ago if this turns out to be true.

Not that this is any real way to tell, but when I was there, on a gorgeous day in August, it was completely dead, even though there were loads of people in the park surrounding it.

It's a dump, to be fair. The woodie is fab though. I'll do a trip report after it closes, just to rub it in.

Jake

Strata Poster
Yeah, the only real shame would be lose the woodie to be honest. It's the only permanent ride there and is the best brakeman one I've done. If it does close I could see the woodie staying SBNO for a while.

Everything else is very fairgroundy and could easily be taken down/sold on.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The ride ops, including the brakemen, were all super hot as well, so that would be another loss.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I drove past this earlier this year during Sziget and it was pretty busy. Sad to see it close as I'd hoped to make it next year when I'm back in Budapest. Isn't the woodie the oldest coaster in Europe?

TilenB

Strata Poster
roomraider said:
I drove past this earlier this year during Sziget and it was pretty busy. Sad to see it close as I'd hoped to make it next year when I'm back in Budapest. Isn't the woodie the oldest coaster in Europe?

The one in Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen is about 8 years older

EDIT: found the source, as far as I understand it, woodie and other historical rides will continue to operate as part of city's zoo. Is this park even worth visiting, or with other words, should I make a trip to Budapest as soon as next month, or is it the wooden coaster the only interesting thing in the park?

http://www.xpatloop.com/news/71506

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, the woodie is the only thing that's any good. The other coasters are just a big apple and spinning mouse. Budapest is fab though, so it's always worth a visit.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Yeah, its only a 4 and a half hours drive. I cannot believe I've never been to Hungary so far...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Not from Vidam Park.

It may have operated there in the past I guess, as it's just a traveling ride, but it definitely wasn't there over the summer.

Jake

Strata Poster
^ When I went in 2009 that Enterprise was in Budapest, but not Vidam Park.

It was operating very near the park as part of a small fair, but was defs not part of the park itself...

3084_94949164008_4579015_n.jpg

Well, it could be a different one, but these older/smaller ones are quite rare and I can't see there being loads of them hanging around in Hungary.

Peter

Hyper Poster
Wow. I was only there last Saturday (28th Sept) to get the credits so got lucky there! The place was a dump and very much a "get the credits and leave" park so its not surprising it was on its last legs. The worst part is that there was only one place selling food, of which the options were only a giant pretzel or a slice of pizza.

Surprisingly, when we went it was very busy with probably a good hour or more queue in get through the gates (we tactically skipped this...) and 20-30 min queues once you were inside! Perhaps we hit it on some sort of Hungarian holiday or are Saturdays always like this? Certainly it shouldn't be closing down if it pulled gate figures like that every day.

I hope the woodie survives. It will be sad to see a classic brakeman coaster get torn apart if they can't find an investor for it.

Darren B

Giga Poster
I was with Peter on the same day and I can honestly say it's the worst park I've even been too, It's actually Vile!

The whole park is dirty, the rides are plonked down like you would expect at a fairground, ALL the buildings were boarded up except the food place Peter mentioned, there are NO queue lines for any of the rides so it's just backing out into the pathways, it's just a complete Sh1thole!

The woodie is the only saving grace for the park, it's actually fab. I hope when they rip down the park the city keeps the woodie and makes it a pay per ride, it could really work as the park is situated right next to the city park and the Turkish baths. People will ride it if it's available at £2-3 a pop.

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ As far as I understand the woodie would become a part of Budapest ZOO.
I really hope that Budapest will now get a modern theme park somewhere in the outskirts of the city. There have been talks about that it is going to happen at some point in the future...