What's new

Veil of Dark: Shooting + Spinning + Launch + Inversion!!

bergochdalbana

Mega Poster
Yes, you read it right, during the massive remodelling of Joypolis that were finished little over a month ago, they completely replaced their coaster and not only replaced the trains as most people have thought (and what's implied by the info on RCDB).
So they have created a first of it's kind, Veil of Dark is a spinning coaster with launch and inversion, and that's not everything it also have a shooting feature. It will fit right in inside the park.

The ride appears to be made by Gerstlauer judging by the restraints of the cars, but there is still little known about the ride itself, just a few images that have popped up on some web-pages, no POV videos unfortunately.

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

xlarge.jpg

Images from Kotaku.com.au
RCDB
Official web-page of the ride at tokyo-joypolis.com

STC

Mega Poster
Is this the first spinning coaster to have an inversion? [strike]What's the inversion?[/strike] :)

Edit: I'm an idiot, totally missed that, cheers Martyn. :)

peep

CF Legend
I'm not seeing how that has a shooting element to it but OMFG. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, adds yet another huge reason for me to actually get on and plan my trip to Japan next year...JOY!!!

An inversion in a spinning car is just a sick and twisted yet amazing idea.

scw55

Hyper Poster
The funny thing is, you were able to do inversions on the "steel spinning" coaster on RCT3 for a decade now. Though they were Vertical Loops and Corkscrews however, not an in-line twist/heart-line roll.
I'm actually shocked that this is the first :p been living 10 years in ignorance.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
OMG. Those half remind me of the horrible TOGO/Namco cars of pain and death from Zola 7...

Well, not exactly. It does remind me of that, though.

Oh, and Duane's fixed the DB already. He doesn't have the inversion, but he does list it as a new, different coaster.

bergochdalbana

Mega Poster
Here is a video from some Japanese TV show about the "new and improved" Tokyo Joypolis.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JV10UCO4X4[/youtube]

At around 4:08 there is a segment of the ride where you can see off-ride and pieces of POV in the customary Japanese craziness, but there are a few short bit's earlier as well. In there you can see a section of the pre-show "shooting" section before the launch, which almost looks like it isn't a magnetic launch but one with kicker wheels.

And the full name is "Veil of Dark: Shooting Coaster" so there must be some kind of shooting going on.

peep

CF Legend
Just...wow. This is exactly what the London Trocodero needs to do to become popular again.

It looks like it spins a lot too after the inversion.

kimahri

CF Legend
Joypolis is awesome! Look at the Initial D racing game with full sized hydraulic cars ontop of the rides.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Meh to be honest. Anything has to be an improvement on Spin Bullet, but it's still not looking quite as "amazing" as people seem to be thinking it is.

Does the "all new" Joypolis also come with "all new", non-retarded operations? Until that happens, it's still always going to be an absolutely frustrating, s**te experience for all those involved.

Joypolis "looks" awesome. The reality is that for some rides/games, you'll be in a queue, with less than 20 people in front of you, for anything up to an hour. Oh, and good luck if some JapaHO gets scared and hits the emergency stop button on Halfpipe Canyon, which seems to happen every 5 **** ing minutes.

Awful place.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
The HalfPipe Canyon was awesome.

Then, I got a full cycle, no e-stops and a daily high score and top ten since the opening a few months earlier.

And I almost fell on my ass I was so dizzy.

I'm sure the coaster is weak sauce, just like the old one was. There's no room for anything big or amazing, but at least they do interesting stuff with what they have.

+1 on the annoying/slow operations, though.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Halfpipe Canyon is great, and I've always got full goes on it. However, if you're queueing and someone hits the e-stop, they then run it with no people on it immediately after, so you're stuck waiting even longer. Last time I went, this happened three times. I've only ever been when it's quiet, with tiny queues, but you still wait an eternity for everything. Christ knows what it's like when it gets busy.