What's new

Valhalla at Blackpool Pleasure Beach to be refurbished for 2023

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I was going to say it's possible it's been trimmed to fit more nicely on that wall (it looks like they've cut a bit at the top, but I dunno). But in any case, it'd be weird to do that now.

Certainly wouldn't be surprising if they've delayed it, especially since plenty of parks have delayed 2021 investments. Would also be a shame of course.

Don't think we can jump to conclusions yet though.

Will

Strata Poster
As ever, I'll await a reliable source, but right now, I'd be surprised if there weren't further delays. This year has basically killed any optimism I ever had though...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So which are we leaning? Will the reimagining (or “stylising” if fab Amanda is involved) be better or worse, and wetter or dryer, than the current version? (And when I say current version, I’m talking about the one that closed and when all the effects were working.)

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
Wouldn't say no to them improving accessibility whilst they're at it. I rode once in 2010 and never bothered after that because I found the boarding a moving boat thing too difficult. I'm someone who often finds it hard to sep onto downward escalators due to balance issues so I really struggled with those boats barrelling through the station like they don't want to be there! I was somewhat relieved when we were evacuated mid ride and I didn't have to try and get out back in the station 😂

Coasterotter

Roller Poster
In June, the creative lead of the Valhalla "reimagining" was interviewed on BPB's Tic Tok (https://www.tiktok.com/@pleasure_beach?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1), and he said multiple things that were happening with Valhalla. He confirmed that the ride would have a new soundtrack, pointing to the Notable Stranger and also he said the fire was going to be back. In regards to how soaked you will be he said this "You will get wet, you may still get soaked". He also said there would be small layout changes that you might notice.

In August testing emerged of at least two boat cycling on the turntable and backwards drop portion courtesy of Theme Park Mad. (Source:
)

Whilst I was at Pleasure Beach around a week ago I noticed that they were storing Ice Blast's topper in the ride area and that they have extended the station building a bit. (Sorry for the terrible quality of the image, you might have to squint you're eyes a bit but the piece of metal just at the top of the wall is actually the topper for Ice Blast 😅)

Attachments

• IMG_3649.JPG
    IMG_3649.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 61

Sandman

Giga Poster
I'm braced for the backlash here, but I just can't see this being anything but a cheap looking refurbishment.

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to go in with such low expectations and be blown away, but I just can't envision it.

Maybe my skepticism comes from the fact that when Valhalla was originally designed, it was done so by industry leaders like Tecnifex & Attraction Services. Even the brilliant craftsmanship of the ride station which was done by the Russian carpenters. It all felt so intricate and pioneering.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no large companies like that involved in the refurb, are there?

Valhalla was my favourite BPB ride, so I do hope I'm well off the mark here!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm braced for the backlash here, but I just can't see this being anything but a cheap looking refurbishment.

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love to go in with such low expectations and be blown away, but I just can't envision it.

Maybe my skepticism comes from the fact that when Valhalla was originally designed, it was done so by industry leaders like Tecnifex & Attraction Services. Even the brilliant craftsmanship of the ride station which was done by the Russian carpenters. It all felt so intricate and pioneering.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no large companies like that involved in the refurb, are there?

Valhalla was my favourite BPB ride, so I do hope I'm well off the mark here!
It’s a brave move, to take a ride that has consistently won awards, and change it considerably…

Personally I’m hoping the refurbishment is just that, tarting up, fixing broken effects, solving the water in the boats issue… I loved the ride the way it was… It makes me nervous to think they may have made significant changes!!! If they have… God I hope they’re great changes!!!