What's new

V(i)R(us) spreads to Fun Spot America Orlando

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like it's the same as this year's IAAPA one. I liked it, but wish there was more interactivity. Hopefully they'll give it an upgrade to what I experienced in November.

davidm

Strata Poster
The VR will fit the actual ride for once
Curious, what do you mean by that?
AFAIK all the VRs-so far are sync'd with the ride that they are stuck on, just not necessarily very successfully.

If they can get it so the 4 VR seats don't slow down operations on the non-VR seats then I don't have as much of a problem with that sort of thing than I do with the whole "its a new VR-ride" type marketing we've seen before.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I think he means that the VR experience uses the same character/theme as the ride, which is one of the reasons that I like this one more than others. Capacity has never been an issue at the park, so it taking a few minutes longer to make sure everyone in those few seats have their VR working properly is no biggie IMO.

czl3u1qxaaaihzz.jpg

davidm

Strata Poster
OK makes sense, but weren't the SixFlags Superman VR things VR-d to Superman?

Agree though ; not hating this as much as the other ones, albeit FF is not the longest of rides is it!

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Tried it out last month and being my first VR coaster, I loved it. Great choice of park and ride, and I love that its limited to just a few seats. Great move *thumbs up*

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Ok maybe this could work really well on this coaster and at this park. FunSpot isn't exactly a must visit park, so I can't imagine capacity being too terrible.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Went down the street today to go check out the VR on freedom flyer. It's currently being used on 6 seats. It looked like they had maybe 10 headsets and we're rotating through them. The loading process is still way overdrawn but more efficient than what I saw Six Flags doing this summer. The ride itself is still somewhat subpar. You ride in a tank and there are flying robots that you can shoot using the VR gear while you see the freedom flyer mascot flying around. If it was a walk-on I might try it again but I don't see myself waiting more than one train for a VR ride again. During parts of the ride it didn't even feel like I was riding a coaster anymore. It felt more like sitting in a seat and being slightly jiggled around.

And from my Twitter.....

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I still think the correct answer to all 3 categories is "NONE"...
Fair enough. I feel that there's a time and a place for it. I'd much rather that a quiet park installs it on a non event of a ride which literally goes over concrete paths on only a few rows than say, be total twats and stick it on a massive Intamin that's been voted one of the best steel coasters in the world.

Not that any park would be that stupid...