What's new

Universal Studios Japan | Super Nintendo World | New land | 2021

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
img2.jpg

“SUPER NINTENDO WORLD™” is coming to Universal Studios Japan and will be the first such opening in the world*1, featuring globally renowned characters and game worlds from Nintendo. Super Nintendo World is targeted to open in time for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. While Universal Studios Japan will be the first location to open, Nintendo themed areas are also coming to Orlando and Hollywood as announced by Nintendo and Universal Parks & Resorts on November 29, 2016.
Super Nintendo World will be comprised of expansive and multilevel environments filled with unprecedented, state-of-the-art rides*2, interactive areas, shops and restaurants, all featuring Nintendo’s most popular characters and games. Development cost at Universal Studios Japan is currently expected to exceed 50 billion Yen ($432M). Super Nintendo World will be developed mainly using the park’s current parking area and part of an area designated for future expansion. Katsuhiro Miyamoto, Professor Emeritus of Kansai University estimates that Universal Studios Japan — after opening Super Nintendo World — will bring economic benefits following its opening of approximately 6.2 trillion Yen for the Kansai region, 11.7 trillion Yen for Japan as a whole, and will create approximately 1.1 million jobs in Japan within a decade after opening*3. Universal Studios Japan will introduce the wonder of the world-class, Japan-based entertainment brand of Nintendo not only to Japan but to the world.

img1.jpg

Super Nintendo World will feature characters and themes from the “Super Mario” series, which has continued over the years to win the hearts of devoted fans around the world. The attraction area will also feature a variety of other globally popular Nintendo characters. Nintendo characters and the worlds they inhabit will be re-created at the highest level of quality through the strong partnership between Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto, Creative Fellow at Nintendo, and Mark Woodbury, President of Universal Creative, renowned for creative and technical excellence. Super Nintendo World will allow guests to fully immerse themselves and all five senses in the worlds of Nintendo, and is expected to attract guests from Japan and the world over.

*1 Based on an internal survey of Nintendo brand characters and their worlds at other parks and themed areas around the world
*2 Based on company research of the theme parks in operation worldwide in November 2016
*3 Announced by Kansai University (December 12, 2016)

The new land will be built using an expansion pad and land from the current parking lot.

I hope it's not just Mario

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I really like this idea, but I'd be interested in hearing how the heck they plan to create 1.1 million jobs just by adding a new area to an existing park.

Lofty

CF Legend
I'll be honest - I couldn't give a flying **** about Nintendo, but, I know that Universal are gonna pull this off.

peep

CF Legend
I'll be honest - I couldn't give a flying :emoji_zipper_mouth: about Nintendo, but, I know that Universal are gonna pull this off.

This. Never really got into any of Nintendos platforms/IPs but if anyone could turn their IPs into a great theme park environment it's Universal.

Lofty

CF Legend
The thing is, I don't particularly have an interest in the IP's, but obviously know what they are.
The final idea shown is something called the Boom Coaster, showing off a mine-kart themed ride car that would look as if it was attached to a track system, but in reality the car is attached to a boom arm that goes down under the cart and attaches to an entirely hidden coaster style track system below the themeing. The concept would allow for the hidden track to lean, rise and fall, affecting how the car above appears to ride on the simulated themed ride surface. For example, it would allow for a coaster to appear to 'jump' a gap in the visual track, while staying connected to the hidden track system below. According to Screamscape sources the Boom Coaster concept is also a concept Universal is eyeballing for a future Nintendo themed ride concept that would involve a wild coaster ride through the world of Donkey Kong Country which often have mine cart coaster themed levels.

The Donkey Kong Mine Coaster sounds **** fab.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I grew up with Nintendo, my Dad got me a Gameboy when they first came out and I had nearly every Nintendo console going from ages 9 -20 so this is right up my street. I have no doubt Universal will do it justice.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Well this hasnt seen an update in a while....

Construction seems to be coming along nicely

Universal has revealed the area will use a smartphone app and wearable wrist bands allowing you to collect coins and compete with others

Which looks like it will include punching the ubiquitous question mark blocks

Oh and the Mario Kart ride now has a rumoured layout and scene selection.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Glad to hear some news and see progress as its target of the Olympics is coming up soon.

Hopefully plans to integrate the Switch are still considered as that's a tipping point for me getting one. Would still get the watch though.

UP87

Mega Poster
Glad to hear some news and see progress as its target of the Olympics is coming up soon.
You know that the 2020 Tokyo Olympics will take place in 2021? Maybe they knew it all along... starts a sinister conspiricy theory...