What's new

Universal Studios Japan | Super Nintendo World | New land | 2021

Dar

Hyper Poster
The shy guy corridor effect in mario kart looks super cool!
I wonder what the sensation of speed is like, the cars move kinda slow but the projections moves past you really fast

Last edited:

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
The level of detail in this land is just obscene, I love it! It will always be difficult to get a good POV of a ride that relies heavily on VR or AR, but even the physical sets are stunning. I love the shy guy corridor in the MK ride, it looks so incredibly cool. If Universal ever fancy building a theme park in the U.K, I'll happily chip in a couple of quid!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, that Mario thing. I hate it.

Without the AR, the sets and effects look really good, but since it's essentially just a shooting dark ride, you're going to miss most of it while you focus on the stupid game aspect. Obviously, by filming from "inside" the glasses, you're not seeing what the rider is seeing, but it all seems very cluttered and incredibly tedious.

Conversely, if you were to ride it without the glasses, you'd see the great sets, but also realise that you're moving very slowly on a very old-fashioned tracked dark ride system.

So disappointing.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah the corridor scene looks fab (without AR), but my god, the AR looks terrible? I'm aware it probably looks better when wearing them for yourself, but it's such a mess! Mario Kart is such a fast paced game, but this thing goes 2mph and it's obvious that's how fast it's going.

I dunno, I'm not sold just yet. But then again I've never been a Nintendo stan anyway.

dcxs

Roller Poster
Kind of hard (well impossible) to make a full impression, but I feel like "Harry potter-land" is more immersive and has more impressive attractions, a little bit disappointed. The Yoshi-ride didn't look like Disney/Universal standard at all. But the land itself was very cool I have to say, a Nintendo theme is a very good idea

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
I think the ride is as good as it could have been with this ride system. But this is completely the wrong ride system to represent a racing game. Something like a trackless dark ride where the ride vehicles raced each other would have been much better. As a huge Universal fan it pains me to say this but they have really dropped the ball on this one.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Can't judge the sense of speed without riding it. Rides like Spider Man feel fast moving and kinetic without the ride vehicle travelling quickly so this could ride well but could equally feel sluggish, who knows. It amuses me with how much authority people are talking about this ride having just watched the POV.

The sets are really beautiful. I was curious how the plasticky shiny look of Nintendo would translate to actual theming but they've nailed it. The Twisted Mansion bit in particular looks amazing. I hope the AR doesn't intrude on the sets too much but again we can't tell having watched something filmed with a camera through part of the lense.

The concern I do have is what's the point of the steering if there's four riders per car?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dar

Dar

Hyper Poster
The concern I do have is what's the point of the steering if there's four riders per car?
Maybe they're for aiming your shells? They do seem a little extraneous if not.

I'm intrigued by the shells and points, because it looks like the ride is interesting enough without them. With maus au choc at PHL, as an example, the points are the whole point (ha) and the sets are nice but not amazing, but with Mario kart they seem to have struck a balance between the two.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Maybe they're for aiming your shells? They do seem a little extraneous if not.

The shells are aimed by where you point your head with the visor and fired with a button on the wheel. It looks like the ride prompts where to steer with arrows at certain points but it looks like the speed and spinning is the same on every ride (based on the two POVs on YouTube). Very intrigued to hear a first hand report on how this rides but probably a while until any of us make it out to Osaka!

Reactions: Dar