What's new

Universal Studios Japan | Super Nintendo World | New land | 2021

Projektion

Mega Poster

I'm only just starting to realise how busy SNW is going to be. Like, take the wizarding world openings, then double/triple it cause its Nintendo.

Flying Dino had 11-12 hour waits around opening day. I can see SNW getting up to that just to enter the land for the first 2 or 3 months after opening, and then again when Japan reopens to international travel.

cookie

Giga Poster
Technical rehearsals have begun.

omj1f5g1ha661.jpg

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I didn't realize how "game of skill" some of the wrist band activations are; rather than waving a wand to reveal a scene, they appear more interactive to "level up."

... Surely nothing can go wrong tech wise with that. ;)

Climb

Mega Poster
The meticulous level of detail on this Super Nintendo World looks absolutely ridiculous, but after seeing a video of the land, I have to say that whilst I admire how detailed they've gone, it does feel quite compact. It raises concerns with the 'bands' you can buy to use for the extra 'mini-games' and I wonder how they will manage crowds and footfall in the area. Not to mention, how efficient and workable these games will be. I foresee a lot of teething problems eek (no, I'm not mystic meg).

davidm

Strata Poster
Woah now, not so fast....

tmp.jpg

From the link (Google translated) said:
As of 14:00 on January 14, 2021

As a result of careful consideration of the current situation from various aspects when issuing the "State of Emergency" to Osaka Prefecture on January 13, the new area "Super Nintendo World" scheduled for February 4 The opening will be postponed after the state of emergency is lifted.
We sincerely apologize to all the guests and stakeholders who are looking forward to the opening. The opening date will be decided and announced after the "state of emergency" is lifted

EDIT : and its such big news its even made the BBC ;

Last edited:

Dar

Hyper Poster
Bit of a pov from Mario Kart:

I think it looks really interesting, I guess it depends on how fast it's moving and what the cars are doing. I love how
Mario transitions from the AR screen to the big screen, almost seamlessly, at the end of the race

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Anyone figured out what's happening in that clip? Looks like there's projections on the wall and floor but also some other trickery as the footage is filmed through the glasses? I'm so intrigued by this ride.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Yeah they seem to have matched it up well, eg with the mario on the glasses merging seamlessly to one on the final screen.

I think some of the use of AR seems unnecessary, eg those dots on the left that illuminate in the shape of bowser could have been a real set of lights.