What's new

Unexpected Alton Towers visit

Brummyboy92

Roller Poster
Hi all, so I've just been surprised by my partner that we are going to Alton Towers tomorrow. :)

We are staying in the Stargazing pods on resort. My question is where should we park? We are leaving early so we get a full day in the park, so are we allowed to park in the hotel car parks and get the monorail, even though we can't check in until the afternoon?

Is the monorail regular as well?

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Monorail is every 5 mins but only operates around park opening and closing times, no mid day service. Should be fine to park anywhere, have accidentally parked in hotel carparks myself when just a day guest.

Will

Strata Poster
Seconded - I usually park in the hotel car parks as I have an irrational hatred of being told where to park and ending up miles from anywhere useful - won't be a problem at all.

Probably best leaving most of your junk in the car, having a day on park and checking in after ride-close, with car conveniently near accomodation :)

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Monorail is every 5 mins but only operates around park opening and closing times, no mid day service.
Too late for the OP but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. I've certainly arrived at the park just after lunch and used the monorail and my wife has done so at 3pm on a Scarefest day. It might not have as frequent a service but I'm sure it operates all day.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Too late for the OP but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. I've certainly arrived at the park just after lunch and used the monorail and my wife has done so at 3pm on a Scarefest day. It might not have as frequent a service but I'm sure it operates all day.

Think it's a recent thing with Merlin cutbacks, not sure myself though. It certainly used to go all day, remember watching it from various queuelines, especially Subterra.

Matt N

CF Legend
Think it's a recent thing with Merlin cutbacks, not sure myself though. It certainly used to go all day, remember watching it from various queuelines, especially Subterra.
The monorail was going midday when I went to Alton Towers in June; we actually left on it at just before 2pm!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The mono rail always has and still does run all day, not sure where that idea came from. We visit at least 20 times a year and leave at various times, sometimes as early as 1-2pm on those quiet mid week days in May / June. Does run at reduced capacity when quiet though, obviously. And I have seen it down / tech a few times too.

Hi all, so I've just been surprised by my partner that we are going to Alton Towers tomorrow. :)

We are staying in the Stargazing pods on resort. My question is where should we park? We are leaving early so we get a full day in the park, so are we allowed to park in the hotel car parks and get the monorail, even though we can't check in until the afternoon?

Is the monorail regular as well?
congratulations on being able to go to Alton Towers, meanwhile I have to endure the agony that is Disney world I hate Disney as a company. they are greedy so therefore I refuse to go anywhere 5 meters within the vicinity of a Disney owned property. anyways I hope you enjoy your trip