What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

fartsalad

Roller Poster
I have waited since TTD construction to finally visit cedar point and experience all the coasters.. it's 2022 and I'll never get the experience aaaa

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Forgive me if already shared, but one of the cleaner videos I've found to render what a swing-launch TTD could look like:

One thing in here that I hadn't really thought of is the length of hypothetical back-spike needed - in many ways, it could need a lot of footprint overlapping with poor Iron Dragon, which has continuously lost footprint through the years to other coasters.

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
Forgive me if already shared, but one of the cleaner videos I've found to render what a swing-launch TTD could look like:

One thing in here that I hadn't really thought of is the length of hypothetical back-spike needed - in many ways, it could need a lot of footprint overlapping with poor Iron Dragon, which has continuously lost footprint through the years to other coasters.

It's cool, but the bit where there's launch fins going up a twisted bit of track is impossible.

Indy

Hyper Poster
What's intriguing here is the fact that they removed the perimeter railing. That leads me to think that the station is either getting majorly overhauled/rethemed or ripped out completely.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
I'm still thinking this thing is demo'ed at this point. Rumors of Intamin not being involved, everything is getting cleared, I think they are just going to wait and remove the top hat in 2023 and use the land for something new.

Nick P

Mega Poster
I'm still thinking this thing is demo'ed at this point. Rumors of Intamin not being involved, everything is getting cleared, I think they are just going to wait and remove the top hat in 2023 and use the land for something new.
Surely they'd be less meticulous with the deconstruction thus far if they were demo'ing the whole thing? Track pieces are being loaded into shipping containers at the laydown yard off-site as well. Why take such good care of scrap metal?

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Surely they'd be less meticulous with the deconstruction thus far if they were demo'ing the whole thing? Track pieces are being loaded into shipping containers at the laydown yard off-site as well. Why take such good care of scrap metal?
This is what I'm stuck on. The park isn't loading all that brake, station, and launch track into Hapag-Lloyd shipping containers to scrap it. I see that track being sent back to Stakotra (the track manufacturer in Slovakia), being refurbished & retrofitted with LSMs. The clearing of the station platform could be explained by accommodation for new trains & air gates.

I'm just not sold on this ride entirely going away just yet, but I also don't have a guess of what "as you know it" means.

Matt N

CF Legend
I wonder; is it a possibility that the park might even be undecided on what exactly they want to do with TTD?

Any TTD Mk2 would surely have not been in the planning stages very long at all (I’m assuming that they didn’t jump into planning as soon as the accident happened, which would have left them less than a year for conceive a plan assuming they knew exactly what they were doing when they announced its closure), so I reckon the park could know that TTD can't return in its current form, but are unsure on exactly what form they want its replacement to take (hence the careful handling of the existing track).

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
No, that’s not really a possibility.

While they may not have been “planning” the new version since the accident, you can guarantee that they were having crisis meetings to decide what exactly to do, and from that the plan going forward would have been blue skyed.

They have a plan for the ride, and I’d imagine that the first part of setting the plan in motion was the closure announcement. If they did not have a fully fledged plan, they would not be paying money to remove the track yet. It’s a huge cost to remove track and not one the park would undertake on a whim.