What's new

Trip to Phantasialand

James F

Hyper Poster
After being delayed multiple times by different circumstances, I finally got the opportunity to visit Phantasialand.

As you will all know not only does the park include the world class coaster 'Taron', but it is also an extensively themed park that even rivals the likes of Disney and Universal Studios.

Having been to a few european parks such as Europa Park, Port Aventura, Liseberg and Hansa Park I wasn't sure where this park would fall into my ranking, but my impression from reading and viewing the park online that the park lacked quantity, but made up for it in quality, but enough of that let's get onto this trip report and review.

I spent two days at the park on the 16th & 17th of May.

7ce3d41a3d2a708c303eea577be47300.jpg

The first ride of the day was the interactive dark ride "Maus Dus Chocolate", if you haven't been to the park before, be warned of the stagged openings, the park open at 9, but most rides including Taron don't open until 10am, however "Maus Dus Chocolate" opens at 9:30.

I thought that the ride was a very well themed, fun experience, the use of screens while frequent, mixed in well with the live action sets.

5889816a6abde99c6256a97e660d26c4.jpg

cef0b3b9ad79a4e3ab350e504aedc63f.jpg

f14bbf43d9bb804f8b51427d7dd480fa.jpg

Then the time came to ride Taron. I expected the ride to be sluggish from what I've heard about morning rides and while it is true that the ride warms up during the day, that first ride was more intense than I braced myself for. I actually came off with a bit of a back ache, but I still enjoyed the ride, knowing I'd give it another chance later on I made my way around the park.

107f8bc3a22a52d025d4d3391fea5fe4.jpg

We decided to hit the dark rides in the China area, (Vekoma madhouse and Ghost Train) neither of which were that impressive, but we still had fun.

0f385656aa04bda088d233a7ad6b521d.jpg

Colorado Adventure was a great mine train, more thrilling than I was expecting, probably my second favourite Mine Train I've ridden after Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland Paris.
1f2c610f62a38f01a89fcaf4e160cc3f.jpg

4021795f533c1384d10fda660c08e08d.jpg

Black Mamba was better than I expected. After hearing the ride was forceless I was surprised by the force of those final helixs. The themeing and landscape also just make this ride that much better as you aren't sure which direction the layout will take you.

After doing the questionable "Hollywood Tour" and seeing that Temple of the Nighthawk was closed for the VR treatment we decided to watch a show. We saw "Jump" which was a BMX stunt show, which was mildly impressive. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take photos.
799eb3fc281c905447ee6cae94a2a0ee.jpg

c3322f00ba6377b668ac166bd0c60d39.jpg

I loved Chiapas, it might actually be my favorite ride here dispite the thrills of Taron. I'm a sucker for log flumes and this is truly a top 3 log flume for me. Don't miss out on it!

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of River Quest, but it was a great rapids ride, even if the operations and capacity was terrible.

6ad7196c14a3cb7fb2c0d77d97aca62b.jpg

Mystery Castle was a bit of a dissapointment, while like everything else here the themeing was good, but the ride just wasn't all that forcefull for a drop tower.

b5de84faa2f3e05befb7c4ca37bcc010.jpg

325fc1758499fcaf0049ae8d7fdafde2.jpg

9857c4030c7ed3ea1695df2d1c9adfb2.jpg

On the second day Winjas opened, se we headed there first. Fear is definitely the stronger side, but both are fantastic spinning coasters with cool surprises.

Again forgot to take a picture of Talcon, but I didn't enjoy it. It ripped my jeans and it crushed my man parts. I used to love topspins as well.

c95c5034fa4cf8762f3753b757253965.jpg

344ad8b2a350ccf7346698ca0bd348fa.jpg

2cd1b39362b70fa1de0643fd2a8843cc.jpg

After doing more re-rides we had left the park.

After re-riding Taron including front row and back row rides I certainly enjoyed it more. It is now my number 5 coaster, while I may not rank or rate it as highly as others do, I can see why the ride receives much praise.

d8f0fe9e1c05ffabe8cae76b4231abc1.jpg

bdd401bc1d20fedbb89d4c6bb24b187e.jpg

Overall Phantasialand is a great park which only looks to be getting better with the addition of F. L. Y, while I don't like staggered openings I can see why they do it as their entrance is tiny, something that they could do with updating. Definitely glad I made the trip and I can finally cross this park off my list.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

UP87

Mega Poster
while I don't like staggered openings I can see why they do it as their entrance is tiny, something that they could do with updating.
They actually have three entrances. It looks like you entered through the main entrance which is the entrance mostly used for public transportation and (I think) Hotel Matamba. There are two other small entrances: one in Mystery and one in China Town used for the car parks. The park being opening before the attractions is not that uncommon to me. I visited Hansa-Park this week and they do the same thing.

James F

Hyper Poster
They actually have three entrances. It looks like you entered through the main entrance which is the entrance mostly used for public transportation and (I think) Hotel Matamba. There are two other small entrances: one in Mystery and one in China Town used for the car parks. The park being opening before the attractions is not that uncommon to me. I visited Hansa-Park this week and they do the same thing.
Yeah I just thought they were hotel entrances. I've been to Hansa before and I don't think it bothered me as much because I got at Hansa Park for half past, instead of on the hour, oh well you live and learn I guess. Granted I still think the entrances could be bigger for crowd control, but I've obviously never been during peak times so I don't know how busy it gets.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Granted I still think the entrances could be bigger for crowd control,
The park thinks so too and would love to change the entrances situation however they cannot do anything about it for the time being. They do not own the car parks and the gateways for the China and Mystery entrances are literally the park boundary. The intention is that the park expansion they've been fighting for with local government and neighbours will solve this issue. But they've been trying for nearly 20 years now with no success yet sadly.