What's new

Tranan - S&S Free Fly for Skara Sommarland, Pictures!!

A

Anonymous

OMFG, I think I just creamed a bit.
Sweden will have a great year next season.

http://www.rcdb.com/id4312.htm

Skara Sommarland which is a pretty big park actually have a few days ago announced that they are going to build the first S&S Free FLy.
The coaster will be called Tranan (The Crane), and it will be over 65ft tall, 1640ft long, and have a top speed of near 25mph.

Here is the animation of the concept.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmcBseyNOdU[/youtube]

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I've always been curious on this concept since its introduction at the IAAPA, seemingly another "thrilling family" coaster which is becoming more and more of a trend.

The long-seated cars remind me of the cars for the Schwarzkopf suspended coaster.

Though the capacity is horrid for the coaster, I'm glad to see this concept will take off!

A

Anonymous

^ If they manage the 900 persons/hour as RCDB states then it will be miles better then for instance Dodonpa, Eejanaika and any other ride at Fuji-Q.
And Skara Sommarland isn't all that busy as other parks in Sweden might be, but then again it's over 14 years ago I last were at that park.

Compared to that animation, they have added a seat on each pod, so it will have about the same capacity as a good mouse or a Eurofighter so it won't be that bad.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
That's pretty excellent.
I always like seeing new style tried, although I'm still not sure I can see the justification for the expensive and quite possibly unreliable ride, especially since it's just a family thing. Still, I'm incredibly interested as to how this is going to turn out...

A

Anonymous

I guess that it can range from "OMG this is so awesome you must ride this" to "Booring" really, but the whole concept is pretty cool.

Most of the technology used on this ride is really simple, there isn't anything really complicated like there is on a 4D so I don't think that there shouldn't be any big problems for the ride itself.

This is one of the must ride coasters for next year, a good thing for me is that it's closer to home then Tusenfryd is so that we can easily go there.

2009 will be the best year for Amusementparks since 1987-88 when there was a big competition about the new big stuff between the 3 big parks in Sweden. Lisebergbanan, JetLine and Standup. Can't wait!!

Snoo

The Legend
Looks awesome tbh. Wish I could go ride it. My only problem would be the lats in some of those corners.. if that is indeed the design they choose.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm going to just echo what has already been said really. I'm happy to see one of these getting built since I've been curious about it for a while, but I can't see it breaking anyone's top ten.

Good to see though.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
What? No Swedish article full of interesting facts?

Anyway, I like to hear where this is going. TusenFryd, now get your lower end of your back in gear. And this is interesting:
2007: Two new coasters in Finland
2008: Four new coasters in Denmark
2009: Four new coasters in Sweden
2010: *crosses fingers*

A

Anonymous

^ No good article, just some small news bulletins and such but no pictures or stats then are found on RCDB.
You wish about Norway :) , well that would be great along with a new expansion of Liseberg with a new coaster, since they are getting behind as it looks at the moment.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I reckon it's looks great fun - I'll bet there's tons of willy-lift on that in-line :)

I'm very much into fun coasters though :)

Emmett

Giga Poster
Sweden is certainly doing well for next year.

I like the look of it, reminds me of a mini 4d coaster with the seat arrangement. And the track layout looks interesting enough. I would be just worried about how much tilt and swinging the seated areas would be sujected to.

Nice to see a small park, take a risk with an new concept.

Dave

CF Legend
I may take a holiday to Sweden next year now.

But seriously WOW I never thought this ride would actually be built in a park, but here we are :D

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah... whatever... I'm not bitter that Sweden announce all this cool rides the week I decide to holiday somewhere else.

Boo.

A

Anonymous

Pokemaniac, your request have been heard: Official Press release [Swedish]

tranancloseup2supersmall__2_11.jpg

tranansupersmall__2_1.jpg

Stats:
Minimum rider lenght: 110 cm
Track Length: 500 m
Height: 20 m
Speed: 40 km/h
G-force: 2,5 G
Capacity/train: 8 persons
Capacity/hour: ca 900 persons
Ride time: 90 seconds
Construction and design: S&S Power Inc. USA
Lift system: Lift, chain
Design/theming: Skara Sommarland
Investment: 35 million SEK (4.8m$)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
That article said:
– Tranan symboliserar startskottet för nya Skara Sommarland med häftigare upplevelser både i vått och torrt.
AKA Tranan symbolises the start of new Skara Sommarland, with more intense attractions, wet as well as dry.
This sounds exciting...

And those trains look... are they really going to be that big?

Other than that, it looks great. But maybe a tad short? Or is the track just ridiculously huge? Well, it lasts twice as long as Speed Monster anyway.

A

Anonymous

We can only hope that the other Swedish dude that is a member on this page (and also lives pretty close to the park) is able to take pictures of it, once they start construction.

SFMMMan

Mega Poster
*Waits to be moved to Ride Construction forum.*

[Mod Edit: Is it really necessary to post that? It'll be moved when it's moved.]

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
really? i think it looks alright. and the cars should look pretty elegant as they swoop and bank round the bends.