What's new

Top 5 or 10 Wooden Coasters in the US

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
Woodies. There is some pretty good ones out their. Others, not really. What are the best? Top 10? Top 5? What are the best wooden coasters in the US?! Heres my personal Top 10:

1. Outlaw Run
2. El Toro
3. The Voyage
4. Boulder Dash
5. Hades 360
6. The Beast
7. Thunderhead
8. Prowler
9. Shivering Timbers
10. Ghost Rider

Agree or Disagree?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
There are many better roller coasters in the world that outrank Ghostrider. I'd swap it out for Ravine Flyer II.

And I am sure there are many who would fit Phoenix in somewhere.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Phoenix definitely needs to be in that list. Also it's hard to rank what you haven't been on so Hades 360 which isn't even done seems like a stretch...

Snowman

Roller Poster
I love Ghost Rider to death and think it's an awesome ride (quite honestly I was a bit freaked out when I first rode it due to its shutting down for 20 minutes after someone had a seizure while on the ride), but Phoenix. It's way too awesome to just not exist on a top 10 list. And I'd probably not say Shivering Timbers. Bumpiness exceeds fun on that one.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I agree, we've had this topic too many times!

So from now on, everyone has to explain each choice in detail!

Out of what I've ridden, in no particular order...

Ravine Flyer 2
Beast
El Toro
Voyage
Thunderhead

And, they are all exceptional for different reasons.

Id actually say Voyage is probably the weakest of these amazing rides, because... Now this sounds daft, but its too long. I did not find myself getting off and wanting to get back in board. It's relentless from start to finish with no breather and demands you pay attention to it, which is great, but also not. It's a novelty.

Beast succeeds because its an enigma, full of mixed ride experiences from near stalling to intense racing through foliage. There's a lot of Wtf moments where you feel genuinely lost, like you may never find the way back to the station. The slow lift hills, with their crackly dramatic audio, feel more creepy than dramatic and add to the sense of lostness. It transports you to another world. It gets bonus points for being at a fantastic park and being the best nighttime coaster in the world.

Ravine Flyer is like Voyage, but perfect. It's probably my favourite. Relentless, but not too long, and its in an interesting environment. It's just pure fun.

El Toro wins points for being at a great park, being so giganticly terrifying and managing to produce intensity despite being smooth and, in a way, calm - at least compared to the others mentioned. I like the distinction between the two halves that others criticise. It's a B&M of wood, incredibly perfect feeling, but perhaps a little dishonest and missing some genuine ridiculous fun.

Thunderhead is intense, ridiculously fun and wonderfully reridable. It has some truly great unexpected transitions which seemed to catch me off guard on every ride. It's at a great park, in a great setting, and I rode in winter - so theoretically, its even better in normal temps?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
I must say that from the LOOKS of things I think that Ravine Flyer II looks amazingly enjoyable. I should be riding 6 or 7 woodies this year including Outlaw Run, Prowler, Thunderhead, and Cannonball so I'll see for myself.

But from the looks of things Ravine Flyer II looks best, but looks don't say much.