East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Top 10(ish): 2015 Edition - page 27

Guys, I saw your Top 10s and it was a joke. Thus the :p

Darren B

Giga Poster

^Jerry, trying to work out top 10's are extremely stressful as you know. I need all the support I can get from you in this very difficult time :p

robbeal

Hyper Poster

robbeal said:
I'm hoping the weekend's trip to Germany might bring a new addition though, as i'll get to ride Black Mamba for the first time. I'm in need of some new additions!

Black Mamba goes in at No. 11. :(

ThomVD

Giga Poster

^ Black Mamba doesn't even beat Balder?? Boooo... :wink:

Ben

CF Legend

^Well, no, why would it?

There's someone in the World that puts Black Mamba above Balder? Ewwwww.

Mamba's a great Invert, but it doesn't touch Balder.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

Balder is so overrated. Short pops of relative weak airtime that you see coming from miles away, without any sort of out of control feeling and turns so slow that I got sideways hangtime. Ew, no thanks, give me a well paced beautifully themed B&M invert any day.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

ThomVD said:
Balder is so overrated. Short pops of relative weak airtime that you see coming from miles away, without any sort of out of control feeling and turns so slow that I got sideways hangtime. Ew, no thanks, give me a well paced beautifully themed B&M invert any day.
QFT! Balder is just so meh. Thom and I aren't the only people who feel that way about it.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster

I have my lists split into wood and steel on word but I don't really have a combined list so here is my top 10. Not sure I can go any higher than that don't know what would be after 10.

10. Thunderhead - Dollywood - I can't wait to reride it in August. I rode it twice in 2013 and I absolutely loved it. One of my first really big wooden coasters and it was truly amazing. From what I remember it was insane.

9. Verbolten - BGW - Verbolten is easily one of the best steel coasters I have been on. It proves you can be a small ride and still be amazing. Awesome theming, very smooth, great launches, and that vertical drop is great. Also my friend would kill me if it wasn't in my top 10 its his #1 overall. :p

8. Beast - Kings Island - The night rides alone put it in my top 10. I liked it during the day and still found it great but those night rides are truly one of a kind. One of my favorite coaster experiences.

7. Banshee - Kings Island - Banshee literally blew me away. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. Those restraints on a invert do it so many wonders. The layout was incredible, it was fast and smooth such a good ride. My first rides were at night which made it all the better. Fantastic coaster.

6. Voyage - Holiday World - Voyage dropped down from the number 2 spot after visiting CP and Knoebels but I still love it. Another amazing ride so relentless and it zips you around the track. The drop was fantastic. It was one of the main reasons in going out to Ohio last October and it was well worth the crazy amounts of driving. Instant top 10.

5. Phoenix - Knoebels - I always loved Phoenix but it moved up after reriding it. I totally forgot how it just has that one lap bar and it really does nothing. My friend Ethan easily put it at his favorite overall and his brother Ben said it was the best wooden coaster he had been on. Everybody knows Phoenix as being a airtime monster and it is still great. Airtime everywhere in the train everywhere around the track. I sat 3rd row and still had crazy airtime. Not as much as the back but I still got some. For its age and being relocated it still runs great and is one of the smoothest wooden coasters I have been on. Only one standing in its way for best wooden coaster is at #1.

4. Maverick - Cedar Point - Maverick has never been in my top coasters because those old restraints just killed it. This is one example of how restraints can make or break a ride. For what Maverick does those old restraints were murder. I looked forward to reriding it because of the new restraints and they absolutely saved the ride for me. They made it one of the best steel coasters I have been on. I always loved the layout and loved what it did but it needed better restraints. I didn't care if it was padding or lap bars or what anything to get rid of the old ones. They greatly enhanced the ride in my opinion and made it unbelievable.

3. Millennium Force - Cedar Point - After reriding my old number 1 I can say it is still as brilliant as the first time I rode it 2 years ago. So smooth and fast and such a great night ride(except for all those giant nats/mosquito things) Overall still a solid fun coaster and I can ride it all day which I can't really can't say about I305.

2. Wicked Cyclone - SFNE - One of the only bright spots about SFNE. I always dread going to that park and still do but Wicked Cyclone makes it all better. My first RMC and it did not disappoint. This thing is amazing. I am so happy to see a lot of love on here for it. Its full of airtime with some great turns and the inversions are amazing. My favorite one is the stall by far. The points right before the inversions totally throw you out of your seat. Just so great and my favorite steel coaster. Praise be to Schilke.

1. El Toro - Great Adventure - When I first rode El Toro as my 100th coaster it wasn't my favorite. It wasn't until I went back a month and a half later when it became number 1. I got to ride it twice in a row at night by myself as the park was closing and it was one of my favorite moments riding coasters. That drop into darkness flying around the track coming out of my seat it was just so amazing. One of the greatest times I have ever had as a enthusiast. So many amazing moments of airtime and speed. I have struggled with keeping it number one especially with Wicked Cyclone knocking at the door but I have held strong to Toro. Whenever I think about those night rides it makes me want to run to a park and hop on some coasters. What a ride. El Freakin Toro.

Griffon got knocked out of my top 10 and so did Boulder Dash. Boulder Dash was very bad when I rode it at the beginning of June. It wasn't just me my 3 friends were all mad at me for talking about how great it was and then riding it and being awful. I don't understand how a ride can be amazing one day and crap the next. We rode it multiple times throughout the day in different spots and still nothing. (bring on the hate)

^ I know what you mean about Boulder Dash. The first time I rode it back in 2012, my butt never lifted off the seat. This year it was miles better, but Darren said it wasn't as good as when he rode it in 2014. So, I guess it's all over the place. I like the love for Verbolten as well!

Snoo

The Legend

Agreed with both of you. When we rode it a month or so ago, it just reaffirmed it's status as my favorite coaster. I was hyper critical of it and still was fantastic. Weird so many people have been on it now and so many varying experiences.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Jordanovichy said:
So 6 days in Germany with 31 news creds has altered my top 25 a little, new for me this year in bold as always:

1. Shambhala - Port Aventura
2. Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa
3. White Lightning - Fun Spot USA
4. Manta - Sea World Orlando
5. Black Mamba - Phantasialand
6. Sheikra - Busch Gardens Tampa
7. Colossos - Heide Park
8. Kraken - Sea World Orlando
9. Krake - Heide Park
10. Air - Alton Towers
11. Nemesis - Alton Towers
12. Revenge of the Mummy - Universal Studios Florida
13. Furious Baco - Port Aventura
14. The Smiler - Alton Towers
15. Dragon Khan - Port Aventura
16. The Swarm - Thorpe Park
17. Dragon Challenge Hungarian Horntail - Islands of Adventure
18. Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa
19. Incredible Hulk - Islands of Adventure
20. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - Universal Studios Florida
21. The Big One - Blackpool Pleasure Beach
22. Expedition Everest - Animal Kingdom WDW
23. TestsTrecke - German Travelling
24. Winges Fear - Phantasialand

25. Space Mountain Omega - Magic Kingdom WDW

Small update after Spain and Belgium, coasters in bold are new for me this year.

1. Shambhala - Port Aventura
2. Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa
3. White Lightning - Fun Spot USA
4. Manta - Sea World Orlando
5. Black Mamba - Phantasialand
6. Sheikra - Busch Gardens Tampa
7. Superman - Parque Warner Madrid
8. Colossos - Heide Park
9. Kraken - Sea World Orlando
10. Krake - Heide Park
11. Air - Alton Towers
12. Nemesis - Alton Towers
13. Revenge of the Mummy - Universal Studios Florida
14. Furious Baco - Port Aventura
15. The Smiler - Alton Towers
16. Dragon Khan - Port Aventura
17. The Swarm - Thorpe Park
18. Dragon Challenge Hungarian Horntail - Islands of Adventure
19. Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa
20. Incredible Hulk - Islands of Adventure
21. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - Universal Studios Florida
22. The Big One - Blackpool Pleasure Beach
23. Expedition Everest - Animal Kingdom WDW
24. Anubis - Plopsaland de Panne
25. TestsTrecke - German Travelling

ThomVD

Giga Poster

1. Helix (Liseberg)
2. Black Mamba (Phantasialand)
3. Silver Star (Europa Park)
4. Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park)
5. Joris en de Draak (Efteling)
6. Blue Fire (Europa Park)
7. Goliath (Walibi Holland)
8. Karacho (Tripsdrill)
9. Baron 1898 (Efteling)
10. Anubis (Plopsaland de Panne)

Gerstlauer, you can be so amazing <3

A bit sad how I'm down to one woodie in my top 10, but then again, my #11 - 14 is all wood.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

^I'll be shocked if Junker doesn't make it into your top 5. I thought Karacho was great when I rode it, but Junker almost makes it seem like a let-down :p

ThomVD

Giga Poster

Three more weeks and we shall see! Can't wait. I guess it's a good thing that it might knock Anubis out of my top 10, because three Gerst launchers in my top 10 would be a bit over the top :p

I thought Anubis had a much better launch and top hat than Karacho, and the theming/atmosphere is nicer, but Karacho does everything else better. From the lap bars to the length. And that dive loop into the tunnel is one of my fave inversions <3

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster

The dive loop is perhaps a tiny bit better on Karacho, although that might be because it stands out more amongst a fairly average series of other elements. Junker is miles better at everything else though, especially the launch and top hat <3

robbeal

Hyper Poster

ThomVD said:

Mamba is beautifully themed, definitely give you that. I love the queue line too, no switchbacks, just a queue that meanders through the layout. Its nice to see some thought go into that. Its a great ride though, it just falls ever so slightly short for me.

...and Balder's great, can't beat some Intamin airtime!