What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Cheers, out of interest what would you have shuffled? ;)
I'd have dropped El Toro out of the Top 10 (personally out of the Top 20) and squeezed The Voyage up. I'd have also gotten Fury 325 into the Top 5, maybe displacing Skyrush.

In my opinion, Dragster is also missing from that Top 20.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'd have dropped El Toro out of the Top 10 (personally out of the Top 20) and squeezed The Voyage up. I'd have also gotten Fury 325 into the Top 5, maybe displacing Skyrush.

In my opinion, Dragster is also missing from that Top 20.
Totally fair. My rides on Toro were magical however, no roughness, night rides galore so will be hanging around a while longer.
Fury should be higher, but not in the 5, Skyrush for me is top tier and it saddens me that it's already as low as 4 :(

Dragster was in there until the Dubai trip. Rossa is better imo.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Deff lucky to have added a decent # of creds last year including my top 10, which is basically becoming a contest of RMC's.

1. Steel Vengeance
2. Twisted Timbers
3. Lightning Rod
4. Wicked Cyclone
5. Storm Chaser
6. Skyrush
7. Fury 325
8. Twisted Colossus
9. Millennium Force
10. Voyage

4th on down has all been bumped two spots. Its getting harder and harder to even rank a top 20 (or 25) its like combing over similar pieces of gold to find any minute thing, I wont say this is a hard and fast ranking but overall, pretty solid for how I feel. I am sure the enthusiasts will be glad after years of being the MForce fanboy and it hovering annoyingly high for people it's finally moving on down lol Still love it but yeah.

Can't wait for 2022. Velocicoaster (which I didnt expect to be THIS good, even taking many peeps #1), Iron Gwazi, Pantheon, ArieForce One. I also need to ride some again like Wicked Cyclone (its last been 2016 I hear its lost a good bit of its mojo) and I305 as I got snubbed this year but yeah, it's getting very hard to actually rank these, a wonderful problem!

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
After 3 Days at USO (changes and new additions in bold)

1: Intimidator 305 (0)
2: Skyrush (0)
3: Velocicoaster (New) - Wow. I was expecting to love this, but it blew me away. The theming is spot on and the airtime is abundant. I’m going to have to go through all the moments on the ride in order because I almost can’t pick a favorite (I can and it’s the heartline roll). The buildup to the first launch is cinematic, with fog in the tunnel and the velociraptors in their cages to either side of you. The launch itself is nice, with two bursts of acceleration, the second one being pretty forceful. The first inversion has either floater or hangtime depending on where you sit, and the second inversion gives great air. After the first two inversions there’s some great pops of air, and the velociraptor statues seem to come out of nowhere. All throughout the first half, the rockwork and plants are incredibly detailed and perfectly placed. Then, the second launch. This launch is an experience unto itself, with the sound filling your ears, the lights and mist filling your eyes, and the acceleration filling your brain. I can see why people rave about Taron’s booster launch now, if it’s anything like this. The top hat somehow manages to give airtime in the in both front and back while simultaneously crawling over and giving incredible views. The stall is great for what it is, and provides an awesome entryway to the attraction. The wave turn does exactly what it needs to, providing the sideways airtime. The outerbank is one of the best moments on the ride if you’re sitting on the right side. Then you’re hit with the mini Stengel dive and the speed hill, and all of a sudden you’re faced with the heartline roll. This roll is so good that it’s hard to describe, with the closest I can get to it being “ejector hangtime”. After trying its hardest to throw you into the lake, you’re hit with one more airtime pop and then the brake run. Wow. There are only two negatives I can think of for this ride, both being incredibly minor. The first is the preshow that plays in the room right before the station. It’s the only time the ride breaks character from an otherwise perfect theme, because there’s no way Jurassic World would show that on their ride. Just give us something else with Mr. DNA, please. My second issue is one that doesn’t bother me, but might affect some other people. The ride has a small rattle, especially in the first half. It’s just something to be wary of if you’re sensitive to that kind of thing. Overall, this ride is a 10/10 and a masterclass in combining top tier thrill and immersive theme. Ride in row 1 or 12 on the right side.
4: Twisted Timbers (-1)
5: Phoenix (-1)
6: El Toro (-1)
7: Beast (-1)
8: Kumba (-1)
9: Mystic Timbers (-1)
10: Flying Aces (-1)

Last edited:

lydian

Roller Poster
Important to note, I don't have many coasters, and the ones I've ridden were ridden a long time ago, so I'm not super confident on the rankings, haha. Regardless, here's my top 10 25 (because I wanted to include at least one coaster from my country hahaha):

1. El Toro
2. X²
3. Tatsu
4. Manta
5. Montu
6. Hungarian Horntail
7. Chinese Fireball
8. Incredible Hulk
9. Kumba
10. Kraken

11. Nitro
12. Kingda Ka
13. Apocalypse: The Ride
14. SheiKra
15. Batman: The Ride [Six Flags Great Adventure]
16. Batman: The Ride [Six Flags Magic Mountain]
17. Riddler's Revenge
18. Bizarro
19. Scream!
20. Green Lantern
21. Superman: Ultimate Flight [Six Flags Great Adventure]
22. Katapul
23. Looping Star [Playcenter São Paulo]
24. Scorpion
25. Superman: Escape From Krypton

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I have spent a few months contemplating what to do with Ride to Happiness along with re-assessing the rest of my top 10. It's getting pretty hard to rank now so they're all pretty much equal but here goes.

1. Taron
2. Maverick
3. Voyage
4. Ravine Flyer II (in the dark)
5. Ride to Happiness
6. Beast (in the dark)
7. Skyrush
8. El Toro
9. TTD
10. Phantom's Revenge

Hyperion has been bumped in favour of Ride to Happiness. A couple of rides feature because of particularly good night rides I have had on them (Ravine Flyer II, Beast and Skyrush to an extent) and a couple feature due to specific elements that I really like such as Skyrush's first drop on the outside in the dark (I don't really rate the rest of the ride at all), Phantom's second drop down the hillside through Thunderbolt, Dragster's launch and Toro's first drop. All-round enjoyable rides include Taron, Maverick, RTH and Voyage.

Honourable mentions off the top of my head (in no particular order) for those that just missed the top 10 include:

Hyperion
Mystic Timbers
Lightning Racer
Storm Runner
Montu
Lisebergbanan
Joris
Kondaa
Shambhala
Milennium Force

Olympia Looping is my favourite coaster but it kind of sits in it's own league so I don't usually include it in my top 10.

Last edited:

Hutch

Strata Poster
Final update for 2021:

1. Steel Vengeance
2. Skyrush
3. Lightning Rod
4. Voyage
5. VelociCoaster
6. Ravine Flyer II
7. Twisted Timbers
8. Maverick
9. Storm Chaser
10. Nemesis

11. Phoenix
12. Mako
13. Phantom's Revenge
14. Wicked Cyclone
15. Nitro
16. Mystic Timbers
17. Millennium Force
18. Twisted Cyclone
19. Top Thrill Dragster
20. Goliath

21. Montu
22. Storm Runner
23. Fury 325
24. Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
25. Lightning Run
26. Diamondback
27. Superman: The Ride
28. Stealth
29. Manta
30. Apollo's Chariot

Got 8 rides on VelociCoaster this past weekend. I don't consider this the case for the coasters above it (except maybe Vengeance), but VelociCoaster is a perfect ride, and a big part of that is beyond the coaster itself. The theming, the area, the views, the queue, the interactions with the guests and pathways. The whole ride is just masterfully crafted. And of course the ride is incredible. There's not a single element that I dislike... even the little s-bends at the beginning are cool, thanks to the raptor near misses.

The pacing is so good too. The first half rides a lot better than it should, but that second half is awesome. Highlights for me are the second launch, top hat (huge airtime in the back row), and the ragdoll stall and final roll. I still can't believe Universal put in a coaster as good as this. Only reason it's not higher is because 1-4 are ultimately more insane.

But Hagrid's? While it's not the best when it comes to intensity, it was one of the most pure fun rides I've had in years. Got a total of two rides, and my first ride on the motorbike I had a huge smile from start to finish. I even knew about the surprise elements, but I'd never seen a POV so had no idea what the overall layout was like. I was a big fan of Dragon Challenge, so I wasn't expecting Hagrid's to be as good, but it was so much better. (And I genuinely considered putting it above Fury lol).

Kumba and Intimidator 305 drop out of the Top 30. Kumba was hanging on by a thread for a couple years now, but it's time has come. And 305 was barely in the Top 30 for four months. :p
Nothing new here, but some minor updates after this past weekend...

1. Steel Vengeance
2. Skyrush
3. Lightning Rod
4. Voyage
5. VelociCoaster
6. Ravine Flyer II
7. Twisted Timbers
8. Maverick
9. Storm Chaser
10. Nemesis

11. Phoenix
12. Mako
13. Phantom's Revenge
14. Wicked Cyclone
15. Nitro
16. Mystic Timbers
17. Millennium Force
18. Twisted Cyclone
19. Top Thrill Dragster
20. Goliath

21. Montu
22. Storm Runner
23. Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure
24. Fury 325
25. Lightning Run
26. Superman: The Ride
27. Manta
28. Diamondback
29. Stealth
30. Apollo's Chariot

Yes, I moved Hagrid above Fury. I knew it immediately after my night ride in the bike seat. It's the most pure fun coaster I've ever done, and no other ride makes me smile more. It deserves to be higher, but right now I'm just not comfortable putting it above Storm Runner or Montu (those rides are fantastic).

Also did a little rearranging in the bottom section. I love Manta, and moved it up a couple spots. It's definitely better than Diamondback... I have no drawbacks on Manta, whereas I have a couple issues with Diamondback.

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
After Riding Iron Gwazi, Ice Breaker, Hurricane, White Lightning, and Freedom Flyer this weekend, this is my updated top 10:
1. Skyrush
2. El Toro
3. Steel Vengeance
4. Iron Gwazi
5. Intimidator 305
6. Fury 325
7. Storm Runner
8. Orion
9. Mystic TImbers
10. X2

Dropped out of my top 10:
Twisted Colossus (11)
Millennium Force (14)

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
After Riding Iron Gwazi, Ice Breaker, Hurricane, White Lightning, and Freedom Flyer this weekend, this is my updated top 10:
1. Skyrush
2. El Toro
3. Steel Vengeance
4. Iron Gwazi
5. Intimidator 305
6. Fury 325
7. Storm Runner
8. Orion
9. Mystic TImbers
10. X2

Dropped out of my top 10:
Twisted Colossus (11)
Millennium Force (14)
What pushed Millennium Force out of your top 10? I only see one of the above mentioned new rides there, being Iron Gwazi of course.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
After some reconsiderations...

#1 Olympia Looping (+0 from last time I posted in here)
#2 Icon (+0)
#3 Saw - The Ride (+1)
#4 The Smiler (-1)
#5 OzIris (+3)
#6 Cannonball Express (+4)
#7 Stealth (+5)
#8 Oblivion (-2)
#9 Nemesis Inferno (-4)
#10 Revolution (-4)

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Some slight changes since the past year - also writing this up for before I get back to Florida in September where I imagine there'll be a few changes and likely a new top 1 & 2.

1. Mako
2. Shambhala
3. Red Force
4. The Incredible Hulk
5. Montu
6. Hollywood Rip-Ride Rockit
7. Revenge Of The Mummy
8. Furius Baco
9. Sheikra
10. Nemesis

Dan Nguyen

Roller Poster
Its been a while since I've posted my top 10 here. Its shifted quite a bit.

1. Skyrush
2. Intimidator 305
3. Phoenix
4. Fury 325
5. Twisted Timbers
6. El Toro
7. Lightning Rod
8. Phantom's Revenge
9. Superman: the Ride
10. Velocicoaster this ride initially sat lower, but after riding Pantheon, I realize this thing should be bumped up a little bit. Its a great all around package. Great theming, fun forces, decent length. If it was a little more intense, it would definitely rank a bit higher on the list. This was my 240th coaster
11. Pantheon: Another incredible blitz coaster. The world really needs more of these. It doesn't have the theming or the length of its sister in Florida but it makes up for that with a much more intense ride.
12. Iron Rattler: One of the best first drops on any roller coaster out there. Its really unfortunate that this ride is extremely short
13. Wonder Woman's Golden Lasso: Another coaster that's absolutely bonkers, but its a little short. Maybe its intentional because its so insane
14. Ravine Flyer 2: The bridge hop seriously makes this ride. Unfortunately the ride is a little inconsistent in the front and back rows.
15. Coney Island Cyclone
16. Storm Chaser
17. Lightning Run
18. Storm Runner
19. Wicked Cyclone
20. Gale Force: With Jersey Devil being closed for a chunk of the summer, I needed a ride to make up for that. This was it. Its a little pricey, but if you're near Great Adventure and you want something that's forceful, lets you ride twice, and is a helluva lot of fun, this ride is it. Its definitely my second favorite coaster in New Jersey.

And a couple of other favorites
Titan: I was unfortunate enough to miss a flight on this trip, but riding Titan in blinding fog absolutely made up for it. The ride is pretty underrated on its own, but not being able to see where you're going in broad daylight really adds an extra element to something this tall.
Texas Giant: You can tell this is an older RMC as the elements are unrefined and it loses speed rather quickly towards the end of the ride. Getting a rare zen ride on it is a real treat though.
Copperhead Strike was really fun. Definitely a needed coaster in a long lineup of mostly mediocre ones at Carowinds.
The coasters at both Nickelodeon Universe parks. I believe Sandy is the best coaster across both parks, but the Minnesota location has better coasters overall despite them being older and not as flashy.
Shockwave at Six Flags Over Texas really blew me away. Not as good as Mindbender, but I still stands out despite being 40+ years old.
Orion is nice and all, but Mystic Timbers and Diamondback are the real standout rides at Kings Island. Beast is fun too, but the park closed too early for the legendary night rides to happen.
Finally rode Green Lantern. I wish I had ridden Jersey Devil instead, but I was pleasantly surprised by how smooth this ride was. Normally people complain about it being rough but it wasn't bad at all.
Texas Stingray is really fun, even if its not as intense as Mystic Timbers or Thunderhead. Steel Eel is one of my favorite coasters in San Antonio. Once I ride Iron Gwazi and Ice Breaker next week, I'll have ridden 4 of the 5 2020 Sea World additions.
Sooperdooperlooper was finally open on my trip to Hersheypark this year. I'm glad I got 2-3 rides in. Its really fun even if its not as refined as the later Schwarzkopf coasters
Rode my 200th and 250th coaster. Roadrunner Express at Fiesta Texas and the SBF spinner at Morey's Piers. Great Nor'easter, Sea Serpent, and Great White may not be the greatest coaster selection, but for a beachfront park, all 3 are real standouts.
Rode Ohio's oldest coaster Sea Serpent and its sister Comet at Waldameer. Both are excellent coasters. Made up for Cedar Point being closed on my Ohio trip.

Got a few new parks planned in the coming months. Sea World San Diego, Family Kingdom and Iron Gwazi/Ice Breaker to look forward to. I seriously can't wait.

Projektion

Mega Poster
Since I'm done now with trips until after the summer work season (at least new cred trips), an update on my t25 after my first 2 trips of the year (Orlando and Plopsa/Efteling):

1WildfireKolmarden Zoo(==)
2Ride to HappinessPlopsaland De Panne(new)
3HakugeiNagashima Spa Land(-1)
4TaronPhantasialand(-1)
5ZadraEnergylandia(-1)
6FLYPhantasialand(-1)
7Flying DinosaurUniversal Studios Japan(-1)
8MakoSea World Orlando(new)
9UntamedWalibi Holland(-2)
10Furius BacoPortAventura Park(-2)
11ShambhalaPortAventura Park(-2)
12Balder Liseberg(-2)
13The Incredible HulkUniversal Studios Islands of Adventure(new)
14EejanaikaFuji-Q Highland(-3)
15Wodan Timbur CoasterEuropa Park(-3)
16HyperionEnergylandia(-3)
17Jurassic World VelocicoasterUniversal Studios Islands of Adventure(new)
18SheikraBusch Gardens Tampa(new)
19Lech CoasterLegendia Śląskie Wesołe Miasteczko(-5)
20DododonpaFuji-Q Highland(-5)
21TigrisBusch Gardens Tampa(new)
22ArashiNagashima Spa Land(-6)
23Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike AdventureUniversal Studios Islands of Adventure(new)
24HelixLiseberg(-7)
25GoliathWallibi Holland(-7)

Needless to say, my ranking has been thrown for a loop. The 2 big surprises on it for my are:

-Ride to Happiness: Given my previous experiences on Macks have been rather lackluster, its amazing to see one shoot so high on my ranking it. RTH is just that nuts, incredible ride.

-Velocicoaster: with the amount of hype and praise surrounding this ride, I was expecting this to place so much higher. It's a great ride, but aside for 2 moments (top hat drop in the back row, mosasaurus roll), it didn't really blow me away as a whole.

I generally try to keep the top 10% or so of ny creds ranked correctly, beyond that, it gets blurry. I still try to have an order of how I prefer a coaster, but everything pretty much comes with a asterisk saying "+- 5 places".

Dan Nguyen

Roller Poster
  1. Skyrush - Hersheypark
  2. Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion
  3. Phoenix - Knoebels
  4. Fury 325 - Carowinds
  5. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
  6. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
  7. Iron Gwazi - Busch Gardens Tampa - dethrones Velocicoaster for my favorite coaster in Florida. Wow it was incredible.
  8. Lightning Rod - Dollywood
  9. Phantom's Revenge - Kennywood
  10. Superman the Ride - Six Flags New England
  11. Velocicoaster - Islands of Adventure
  12. Pantheon - Busch Gardens Williamsburg
  13. Iron Rattler - Six Flags Fiesta Texas
  14. Wonder Woman's Golden Lasso - Six Flags Fiesta Texas
  15. Ravine Flyer 2 - Waldameer
  16. Coney Island Cyclone - Luna Park
  17. Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
  18. Lightning Run - Kentucky Kingdom
  19. Storm Runner - Hersheypark
  20. Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
Ice Breaker barely makes it into my top 50. It joins the ranks of other great Busch family coasters like Verbolten and Cheetah Hunt, Its probably my least favorite of the 2020 Sea World additions, but when you consider the competition is bigger and faster, it still deserves some recognition.

Florida has really stepped up its game in terms of world class roller coasters. Can't wait to ride Guardians later this year.

Snoo

The Legend
Updates after our Stumble at Carowinds!

Bold = New
Italics = Moved Up

1 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2 Jurassic World Velocicoaster - Islands of Adventure
3 Voyage - Holiday World
4 Fury 325 - Carowinds

5 Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
6 Goliath - Six Flags Great America
7 Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
8 Jersey Devil Coaster - Six Flags Great Adventure
9 Lightning Rod - Dollywood
10 SkyRush - Hersheypark

11 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
12 Pantheon - Busch Gardens Williamsburg
13 Wildfire - Kolmarden
14 Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
15 Afterburn - Carowinds
16 Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
17 Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee
18 Orion - Kings Island
19 Phantom's Revenge - Kennywood
20 Copperhead Strike - Carowinds
21 Maverick - Cedar Point
22 Boardwalk Bullet - Kemah Boardwalk
23 Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
24 Nitro - Six Flags Great Adventure
25 Mystic Timbers - Kings Island
26 Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point
27 Phoenix - Knoebels
28 Lightning Run - Kentucky Kingdom
29 X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain
30 Mako - SeaWorld Orlando

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Updates after our Stumble at Carowinds!

Bold = New
Italics = Moved Up

1 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2 Jurassic World Velocicoaster - Islands of Adventure
3 Voyage - Holiday World
4 Fury 325 - Carowinds
Love that Fury is still wowing old timers like you ;)

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Here's a couple of names that seem to keep cropping up.

1. Helix - Liseberg
2. Ride to Happiness - Plopsaland de Panne
3. Python in Bamboo Forest - Wanda Nanchang
4. Jungle Trailblazer - Fantawild Dreamland Zhengzhou
5. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain
6. Skyrush - Hersheypark
7. Taiga - Linnanmäki
8. Flying Aces - Ferrari World
9. Eejanaika - Fuji-Q Highland
10. Wood Coaster - Knight Valley

11. Hakugei - Nagashima Spa Land
12. Iron Gwazi - Busch Gardens Tampa