What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
OK, so I don't think I've ever posted my 'top whatever coasters' on here. I usually procrastinate in doing these lists because I find the choices painful and it's just beyond my meager mind to keep track of all those coasters.

But tomorrow I am going on a massive coaster trip to Europe for the first time, so I figure I should post my current list (all North American) before it gets all infected by another continent. So in true procrastinator's style, I've just sort of slapped this together the night before.

And I'd better explain up front that I only got two rides on Steel Vengeance, and neither was particularly comfortable as I felt stapled. (I'll get back to CP and give it a better chance soon enough.)

1. Fury 325
2. El Toro
3. Phoenix
4. Voyage
5. Lightning Rod
6. Ravine Flyer II
7. Skyrush
8. Renegade
9. American Thunder
10. Behemoth
11. Steel Vengeance
12. Wicked Cyclone
13. Medusa Steel Coaster
14. Phantom's Revenge
15. The Beast
16. Boardwalk Bullet
17. Intimidator 305
18. Twisted Colossus
19. Time Traveler
20. Leviathan/Ghost Rider/Cornball Express

Alex B

Mega Poster
i can respect opinions and I encourage you to disagree which is why I liked the post but I thought pheonix at knoebels was extremely overrated but I can see why you put it at number 3 have a good day

ThomVD

Giga Poster
1. Helix (Liseberg)
2. Untamed (Walibi Holland)
3. Taron (Phantasialand)
4. Wildfire (Kolmården)
5. Piraten (Djurs Sommerland)
6. Nemesis (Alton Towers)
7. Expedition GeForce (Holiday Park)
8. Shambhala (PortAventura)
9. Silver Star (Europa Park)
10. Black Mamba (Phantasialand)

I had the pleasure of riding Untamed today. I loved it after my first front row ride, but only when I rode it in the back I was truly blown away. From start to finish it's full on action at a relentless pace. Every element delivers and it throws you in every direction with full force.

If I had to nitpick, I'd say that the little speed hill after the (incredible) first drop is kind of underwhelming and didn't do a whole lot for me. After that though, it was a constant onslaught of blissful hangtime and ejector airtime. There is not a single moment in which you "wait" for the next element to come. No time to catch your breath until the final brake run. Especially the second half is just insane with countless amounts of ejector moments. The inversions were all great. The first one (or is it two?) gave a surreal and wonderful hangtime sensation, the second one is very floaty but flows so well with the rest of the ride, and the final roll is so low to the ground and throws you out of your seat completely.

Absolutely top notch coaster and it blew away my expectations. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun on a coaster! it gave me the biggest grin. While nothing beats the pure magic that is Helix at night for me, this is probably the best day-time coaster I've ever ridden. Consider me converted to the RMC religion. I have no other RMC to compare it to other than Wildfire (which is vastly different), so I have no idea if this is just your average RMC fare, but frankly it doesn't matter to me. I'm just happy to have such a fun coaster 1.5 hour away from home.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
It seems I haven’t updated my rankings on here for over a year which is surprising, so I’ll highlight any new additions since then, from trips to Poland, UAE and my recent US trip:

1. Intimidator 305-Kings Dominion
  2. The Voyage-Holiday World
  3. X2-Six Flags Magic Mountain
  4. Expedition GeForce-Holiday Park
  5. Steel Vengeance-Cedar Point
  6. Twisted Timbers-Kings Dominion
  7. Phoenix-Knoebels
  8. El Toro-Six Flags Great Adventure
  9. Schwur des Kärnan-Hansa Park
  10. Shambhala-PortAventura Park
  11. Hyperion-Energylandia
  12. Storm Chaser-Kentucky Kingdom
  13. Black Mamba-Phantasialand
  14. Wildfire-Kolmården
  15. Behemoth-Canada’s Wonderland
  16. Iron Rattler-Six Flags Fiesta Texas
  17. Katun-Mirabilandia
  18. Monster-Walygator Parc
  19. Maverick-Cedar Point
  20. Twisted Cyclone-Six Flags Over Georgia
  21. Helix-Liseberg
  22. Goliath-Six Flags Great America
  23. Goliath-Walibi Holland
  24. Wicked Cyclone-Six Flags New England
  25. Fury 325-Carowinds
  26. Leviathan-Canada’s Wonderland
  27. Goliath-Six Flags Over Georgia
  28. Outlaw Run-Silver Dollar City
  29. Flying Aces-Ferrari World Abu Dhabi
  30. Tatsu-Six Flags Magic Mountain
  31. Junker-PowerPark
  32. Lightning Run-Kentucky Kingdom
  33. Piraten-Djurs Sommerland
  34. Nemesis-Alton Towers
  35. Roar-O-Saurus-StoryLand
  36. Mako-SeaWorld Orlando
  37. Taron-Phantasialand
  38. Joker-Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
  39. Troy-Toverland
  40. Twisted Colossus-Six Flags Magic Mountain
  41. Lightning Rod-Dollywood
  42. Talon-Dorney Park
  43. Silver Star-Europa Park
  44. Lech Coaster-Legendia
  45. New Texas Giant-Six Flags Over Texas
  46. Diamondback-Kings Island
  47. Renegade-Valleyfair
  48. iSpeed-Mirabilandia
  49. Monster-Adventureland
  50. Ravine Flyer II-Waldameer
Also, an honourable mention to Formula Rossa which was in there until towards the end of my America trip.

Have to say something about The Voyage - Absolutely ****ing incredible. In many ways I feel like it’s the coaster I’ve been searching for my entire enthusiast life. The obscene length, the relentless pace, the exhausting amount of out-of-your-seat airtime, I just couldn’t believe the mammoth of a coaster that I was riding. Plus, the unhinged and unpredictable feeling of a traditional-style wooden coaster is the pivotal icing on the cake of this glorious beast. Ugh, how desperately I need a night ride next time, I just can’t imagine what it’d be like... Even with just day rides I found it crazier than any RMC. There, I said it! :p

I rank it as #2 but it’s really more of a joint #1 with I305. They’re just so different it’s hard to decide, but both impressed me on what feels like another level than anything else. Voyage is the ultimate wooden coaster and I can’t see how another one could possibly beat it for me. I305 is much more flawed but pushes boundaries with its intensity that have never been close to being matched by anything else I’ve done. So yeah, tough one. I guess I just feel more comfortable leaving I305 as #1 out of the 2 because I’ve had a second visit to verify my opinion of it.

Last edited:

Rupert

Mega Poster
I love reading these. Just reading CookieCoasters’ ranking above, there’s a beautiful description of The Voyage, EGF above Steel Vengeance which I could just about understand if SV was ridden on a bad day, but then Helix, a coaster I would class as near-perfection, all the way down at 21! I wouldn’t ever contest it as it’s all so subjective, it’s just fascinating to see how we all have such differing views about the same set of coasters. Long may this topic and site continue! ?

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Great list @CookieCoasters, but I'd be intrigued to know; how come Steel Vengeance didn't make your #1 spot, out of interest?
I mean, it’s a bloody fantastic coaster, but it’s not perfect. There’s ****loads of airtime but only a few moments where it’s more suistained. Don’t get me wrong, I love sudden ejector, but a few big straight hills with really long-lasting airtime would’ve been a nice addition. The first few times I rode it were very late at night / early hours of the morning, at which point it could’ve made a play for the top 3, but it never rode as well as that again, even during other night rides. Also, on some of the rides I felt a little too stapled by the lap-bar, so while the airtime was stronger than on The Voyage, I preferred how I was constantly flying out of my seat on the latter.

Overall, it’s a very impressive coaster and I do feel its popularity is justified, but quite simply, Voyage impressed me more. It felt like a much more special experience, whereas Steel Vengeance is the best RMC not because it is “special” necessarily, but because it combines all the best features of other RMCs with extra ride time added on, if that makes sense. Still, this is really just nitpicking at the highest level of coasters hah. It’s a more-than-worthy #1 for anyone to have, but it’s not gonna be everyone’s, nor should it be.

it’s just fascinating to see how we all have such differing views about the same set of coasters. Long may this topic and site continue! ?

Hear hear!

Last edited:

Alex B

Mega Poster
It seems I haven’t updated my rankings on here for over a year which is surprising, so I’ll highlight any new additions since then, from trips to Poland, UAE and my recent US trip:

1. Intimidator 305-Kings Dominion
  2. The Voyage-Holiday World
  3. X2-Six Flags Magic Mountain
  4. Expedition GeForce-Holiday Park
  5. Steel Vengeance-Cedar Point
  6. Twisted Timbers-Kings Dominion
  7. Phoenix-Knoebels
  8. El Toro-Six Flags Great Adventure
  9. Schwur des Kärnan-Hansa Park
  10. Shambhala-PortAventura Park
  11. Hyperion-Energylandia
  12. Storm Chaser-Kentucky Kingdom
  13. Black Mamba-Phantasialand
  14. Wildfire-Kolmården
  15. Behemoth-Canada’s Wonderland
  16. Iron Rattler-Six Flags Fiesta Texas
  17. Katun-Mirabilandia
  18. Monster-Walygator Parc
  19. Maverick-Cedar Point
  20. Twisted Cyclone-Six Flags Over Georgia
  21. Helix-Liseberg
  22. Goliath-Six Flags Great America
  23. Goliath-Walibi Holland
  24. Wicked Cyclone-Six Flags New England
  25. Fury 325-Carowinds
  26. Leviathan-Canada’s Wonderland
  27. Goliath-Six Flags Over Georgia
  28. Outlaw Run-Silver Dollar City
  29. Flying Aces-Ferrari World Abu Dhabi
  30. Tatsu-Six Flags Magic Mountain
  31. Junker-PowerPark
  32. Lightning Run-Kentucky Kingdom
  33. Piraten-Djurs Sommerland
  34. Nemesis-Alton Towers
  35. Roar-O-Saurus-StoryLand
  36. Mako-SeaWorld Orlando
  37. Taron-Phantasialand
  38. Joker-Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
  39. Troy-Toverland
  40. Twisted Colossus-Six Flags Magic Mountain
  41. Lightning Rod-Dollywood
  42. Talon-Dorney Park
  43. Silver Star-Europa Park
  44. Lech Coaster-Legendia
  45. New Texas Giant-Six Flags Over Texas
  46. Diamondback-Kings Island
  47. Renegade-Valleyfair
  48. iSpeed-Mirabilandia
  49. Monster-Adventureland
  50. Ravine flyer-waldemeer
I think this is an awesome list but I disagree that pheonix is even close to top 10 I thought it was EXTREMELY overrated and I prefer blue streak but I can see why u like it congrats on 1k

Sky

Mega Poster
I'm sure people may hate on my list for having some of these so high, but hey, it's my list and it makes me happy!

For reference, I'm at 159 right now and have the potential to get 24 new creds this month (including 2 new RMCs) so who knows what will change.

1. Millennium Force
2. Fury 325
3. Top Thrill Dragster
4. Intimidator 305
5. Steel Vengeance
6. X2
7. Beast
8. Twisted Timbers
9. Copperhead Strike
10. Banshee

Sky

Mega Poster
Hopefully it'll help up come to your senses, at the very least. ;)

I'm all for 'each to their own', but I'd love to know what let's MF sit above Fury.

Those two are so close for me it should almost be 1a and 1b, because I go back and forth in my head between them all the time. It's got the speed and low to the ground elements, there's the nostalgia of it being my #1 for half my life, and the T-bars over the clamshells. It's just pure fun. That's not to say that Fury isn't fun, because of course it is (and the rides we had during the CF-Live almost had it win out). But something about MF just always wins it for me whenever I try to rate the experiences side by side.

Legit they're so close for me that I can't even coherently explain why I rank one higher!

Snoo

The Legend
Those two are so close for me it should almost be 1a and 1b, because I go back and forth in my head between them all the time. It's got the speed and low to the ground elements, there's the nostalgia of it being my #1 for half my life, and the T-bars over the clamshells. It's just pure fun. That's not to say that Fury isn't fun, because of course it is (and the rides we had during the CF-Live almost had it win out). But something about MF just always wins it for me whenever I try to rate the experiences side by side.

Legit they're so close for me that I can't even coherently explain why I rank one higher!

giphy.gif

nadroJ

CF Legend
Post road-trip, the Top 10 now looks something like this:

1. Skyrush, Hersheypark
2. Taron, Phantasialand
3. Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point*
4. Formula Rossa, Ferrari World
5. The Voyage, Holiday World
6. Helix, Liseberg
7. Oz'Iris, Parc Asterix
8. Dodonpa, Fuji Q
9. Dinoconda, China Dinosaur Park
10. Maverick, Cedar Point*

.Ac.

Mega Poster
1. Untamed
2. Taron
3. Troy
4. Nemesis
5. Golaith ( Walibi )
6. Montu
7. Black Mamba
8. Hulk
9. Stealth
10. Baron 1898

Tbh stuff from like 5/6 down probably irreverent due to lack of coasters i done.

I want to get on stuff like EGF, Helix, Hyperion & Oz'Iris to name just a few just in Europe let alone the states or further afield.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The adventure continues with yet another solid addition! Taron is the s*** (obvs), and I was able to get about 15 rides on it because Taron ERT is even more the s***. Three consecutive front row rides without leaving my seat?!? Ummm, yas please. I must say though, it's so odd to see all these great coasters dropping down my rankings. I used to give so much weight to a top 10, and all these coasters that seem to "deserve" to be there simply aren't. Well, only one more park to go, Untamed here I come!

1. Steel Vengeance
  2. Lightning Rod
  3. Helix
  4. Taron
  5. Skyrush
  6. Outlaw Run
  7. X2
  8. Voyage
  9. El Toro
  10. Wildfire
  11. Superman SFNE
  12. Fury 325
  13. Boulder Dash
  14. Maverick
  15. Phoenix
  16. Space Mountain WDW
  17. Storm Chaser
  18. Kumba
  19. Twisted Cyclone
  20. Wicked Cyclone
  21. Shambhala
  22. Top Thrill Dragster
  23. Iron Rattler
  24. Millennium Force
  25. Kawasemi
To think we shared a train for so many ERT rides on Taron and didn’t even know. We were at PL that weds, Thurs and Fri. Think I had my Helix top on Thurs ;)

Geeky Pastimes

Mega Poster
1. Taiga-Linnanmäki
2. Wildfire-Kolmården
3. Incredible Hulk- Ioa
4. Dragon Challenge (both)- Ioa
5. Thunderbird- Powerpark

I wanted to share my top #5, since I don´t have many or so many well-known credits, but those that I do have I think are exceptional!
That's a really interesting list, makes me want to go ride Taiga for sure. We really didn't like Hulk but only went on it once and were in a bad mood that day anyway. Going back this summer for Hagrid so I need to give it another go. Any recommendations on seats? We were middle/back last time and found it pretty rough.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PetskuC

Mega Poster
That's a really interesting list, makes me want to go ride Taiga for sure. We really didn't like Hulk but only went on it once and were in a bad mood that day anyway. Going back this summer for Hagrid so I need to give it another go. Any recommendations on seats? We were middle/back last time and found it pretty rough.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I rode the old version, before the retracking somewhere in the middle. I thought that was okay, but I can imagine the back row being quite forceful.