What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wow, a Gerstlauer in the Top 15 - Fury must be quite the ride!

Was that ranking based on a forwards or backwards ride?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Wow, a Gerstlauer in the Top 15 - Fury must be quite the ride!

Was that ranking based on a forwards or backwards ride?
I preferred backwards, but having the choice is part of the reason I rank it so highly, because it’s great in both directions. It’s buttery smooth, intense, has good moments of airtime, including BACKWARDS AIRTIME! Which is pretty strong too, and not something I’ve felt a lot of before, if at all.

But most of all, remember, I don’t have that many creds ???

DelPiero

Strata Poster
4 new entries into my top 15 after visiting Poland and Belgium to ride coasters for the first time.

1. Untamed
2. Hyperion
3. Taron
4. Zadra
5. Shambhala
6. Helix
7. Lech
8. Nemesis
9. Lost Gravity
10. Icon
11. Red Force
12. Balder
13. Fury
14. Troy
15. Goliath (WH)
I haven't seen your review of Hyperion(if you have done one) so I'll ask here.
As good as the ride is, and yes it's very good, likely a top 20 or 30 ride for me. I found the shuffle/roughness from the floater hill onwards to really detract from the experience. To the extent that I spent more time thinking about the roughness than the rest of the awesome layout.

Now this is likely a train issue as when I first visited I had a few amazing rides which could have wormed it into the top 10, but more than likely high in my top 20, but then they removed a train and all subsequent rides had this shuffle.

Clearly you had some amazing rides but what makes you think it's better than a few incredible ride experiences such as Taron, Helix and Zadra?

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
As good as the ride is, and yes it's very good, likely a top 20 or 30 ride for me. I found the shuffle/roughness from the floater hill onwards to really detract from the experience. To the extent that I spent more time thinking about the roughness than the rest of the awesome layout.

Now this is likely a train issue as when I first visited I had a few amazing rides which could have wormed it into the top 10, but more than likely high in my top 20, but then they removed a train and all subsequent rides had this shuffle.

Clearly you had some amazing rides but what makes you think it's better than a few incredible ride experiences such as Taron, Helix and Zadra?
I rode it on Monday for the first time and noticed the rattle on the low sections near the back but not on the front row. Front row was amazing! Wouldn't quite say it was better than Taron but preferred it to Zadra (despite Zadra almost rivalling SV for me) because I just prefer that style of ride to RMCs in general. Not done helix so can't comment on that. Both Hyperion and Zadra are amazing rides though.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

I haven’t written a review yet. But here’s the thing, I’ve been at Energylandia for 4 days now, (with good company I might add) and for the first 2 days, the weather was lovely, the park was busy, and I was really struggling to decide which of the 2 big rides in the park I preffered. Hyperion was fast, full of ejector, and buttery smooth, to the point of me actually questioning the sanity of those who I’d seen say it was a bit shakey.

At the end of the second day, I finally settled on Hyperion. That was the evening I posted here, and in the Zadra thread.

Now here’s the crazy thing, the next day the weather turned, it was colder and windier, the park was quieter, and they were not sending the one train in operation as quickly as the previous days. After my first ride on Hyperion, I came off and said straight away to @pvnks did that feel rough to you. Because it seemed a world apart from my previous 2 days full of rides on it.

I don’t know if it was the weather, which was my immediate suspicion, or just that we had been lucky to have a ‘good’ train on the first 2 days, and now they were only running the ‘bad’ train. I don’t know what it was to be honest, but to me it felt much more shakey. I repeatedly said to Pvnks, that it was so much rougher.

Long story short, now after a further 2 days riding, I’m really torn between which of the 2 I prefer. It’s such a close call between Hyperion and Zadra that even after 4 days, I can’t really call it. But one thing’s for sure, they sure are lucky to have both of these rides in their park over there, and to think this park is only going to get much more in the very near future is just mind blowing.

As for preffering both over Taron and Helix, that’s an easy choice. Helix somewhat dissapointed me, I mean it was great, excellent in fact, but I just did not enjoy it nearly as much asI enjoyed Taron. It seems to lack force sometimes, and there are too many things about it that, to be honest, just piss me off. The long queue line, the escalators, the slow launch, the seat belts on restraints, the reride policy (yes I know this is common, but I’m comparing it to Taron, on which I’ve been allowed to sit on the same train, for an hour at a time, several times.)

So Taron beats Helix for me, and Hyperion, well, Hyperion just does some of my favourite elements of Taron, to an absoloutely insane level, and I’d take that drop in the back row over a second launch on Taron any day.

Edited to add: I forgot to say, after 2 more days of riding Zadra, I’d now put that above Taron too, it really is incredible, ‘that turnaround’ and ‘that hill’ that really annoyed me the first few rides have been really delivering more how I expected them to the last 2 days too. So it’s just Zadra and Hyperion I’m torn with... I’m so useless, 4 days and I still can’t decide ?

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
This might be the most amazing set of nitpicky complaints I've seen. I would respect it if it were about any other ride.
So, it’s fine to take the same issues with any other ride, but not the almighty Helix? ?

They weren’t complaints, they were reasons I enjoyed the thing less than Taron. I’m sorry you don’t like my reasons, but that’s your problem really, not mine :)

But since you seem to need some justification here it is... The escalators are a vital part of accessing the ride, they constantly break down, and stay down for ages, fine for me, I can run up the stairs, my travelling companion couldn’t!

The seatbelt digs into you sometimes, and can be quite uncomfortable, plus they increase loading time, when they’re just not needed.

The reride policy is stupid, it’s stupid everywhere else that does this too. They were literally sending empty trains rather than letting people re ride. Take Merlin for example, AT, no rerides, TP you can reride... So what exactly is the reason for AT’s policy if other park’s in the same chain allow it... Stupid!

We enjoy rollercoasters because of how they make ‘US’ feel, if ‘nitpicky’ things like seatbelts, escalators, poor ops, roughness or whatever are detracting from the experience, that of course lowers the ride in our estimation.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I rode it on Monday for the first time and noticed the rattle on the low sections near the back but not on the front row. Front row was amazing! Wouldn't quite say it was better than Taron but preferred it to Zadra (despite Zadra almost rivalling SV for me) because I just prefer that style of ride to RMCs in general. Not done helix so can't comment on that. Both Hyperion and Zadra are amazing rides though.
Yeah I agree with this, although I did get the shuffle near the front(2nd row I think) but the back was much more pronounced.
I don't agree with your RMC onions but no point in trying to change your mind, if you don't like Steve then this will be the same ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's still fab, despite the Hyperion Shuffle(TM).

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Yeah I agree with this, although I did get the shuffle near the front(2nd row I think) but the back was much more pronounced.
I don't agree with your RMC onions but no point in trying to change your mind, if you don't like Steve then this will be the same ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's still fab, despite the Hyperion Shuffle(TM).
I don't not like Steve, enjoyed it more this year just wouldn't put it in my top 10. Always enjoy an RMC but they're just not my favourite type of cred. :D

Snoo

The Legend
End of Year! Bold is new and italicized is movement either up or down.

CC: 359

1 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2 Lightning Rod - Dollywood
3 Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
4 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
5 Goliath - Six Flags Great America
6 Voyage - Holiday World
7 Wildfire - Kolmarden
8 Fury 325 - Carowinds
9 Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
10 Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom

11 Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee
12 Copperhead Strike - Carowinds
13 Maverick - Cedar Point
14 Phoenix - Knoebels
15 Cornball Express - Indiana Beach
16 Banshee - Kings Island
17 Afterburn - Carowinds
18 Phantom's Revenge - Kennywood
19 Boardwalk Bullet - Kemah Boardwalk
20 Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
21 Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point
22 Lightning Run - Kentucky Kingdom
23 X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain
24 Steel Curtain - Kennywood
25 Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland
26 Tatsu - Six Flags Magic Mountain
27 Mystic Timbers - Kings Island
28 Millennium Force - Cedar Point
29 MaxxForce - Six Flags Great America
30 Leviathan - Canada's Wonderland

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
After 2 further days at Energylandia, and some time at home to think on it I’m revising my list. This is my final list of the year as no major new to me creds planned this year.

Given the noticeable rattle on Hyperion on my second and third day, and the fact that Zadra got better and better for me, my list is as follows.

1. Untamed
2. Zadra (up 2 places)
3. Hyperion (down 1)
4. Taron (down 1)

5. Shambhala
6. Helix
7. Lech
8. Nemesis
9. Lost Gravity
10. Icon
11. Red Force
12. Balder
13. Fury
14. Troy
15. Goliath (WH)

I think I went into Zadra expecting, or hoping, for non stop ejector, like Untamed. My preconceptions hindered my ability to fully appreciate what it does do extremely well. As others have said it is very well rounded, and whilst it does not give that none stop ejector, it is wicked fast and has a beautiful balance of elements and forces.

I was wrong.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Posted my new top 10 to my trip report but might as well put it here too.

1.Taron
2.Beast
3.Maverick
4.Skyrush
5. Millennium Force
6. Top Thrill Dragster
7. El Toro (sfgadv)

8. Karnan
9. Montu
10. Storm Runner

New entries from my 2018 USA Trip in bold.
I think I like intamin.
Finally updated my top 10 and added up to top 20. Getting to the point where it's hard to rank but here it is anyway.

1. Taron
2. Maverick
3. Skyrush
4. Hyperion
5. Beast (dark)
6. The Voyage
7. El Toro
8. Ravine Flyer II (dark)
9. Top Thrill Dragster
10. Phantom's Revenge

11. Storm Runner
12. Lightning Racer
13. Millennium Force
14. Shambhala
15. Mystic Timbers
16. Olympia Looping
17. Superman Madrid
18. Montu
19. Troy
20. Joris

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
The RMC legion continues to build. It really hurts me when stuff like T-Express is dropping off the bottom here.

1. Helix - Liseberg
2. Python in Bamboo Forest - Wanda Nanchang
3. Jungle Trailblazer - Fantawild Dreamland Zhengzhou
4. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain
5. Skyrush - Hersheypark
6. Taiga - Linnanmäki
7. Flying Aces - Ferrari World
8. Eejanaika - Fuji-Q Highland
9. Wood Coaster - Knight Valley
10. Hakugei - Nagashima Spa Land

11. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
12. Fjord Flying Dragon - Happy Valley Tianjin
13. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
14. Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
15. Lightning Rod - Dollywood
16. Untamed - Walibi Holland
17. OCT Thrust SSC1000 - Happy Valley Wuhan
18. Taron - Phantasialand
19. DC Rivals Hypercoaster - Warner Bros. Movie World
20. Flying Dinosaur - Universal Studios Japan
21. Jungle Trailblazer - Oriental Heritage Wuhu
22. Wooden Coaster - Fireball - Happy Valley Shanghai
23. Twisted Cyclone - Six Flags Over Georgia
24. Railblazer - California's Great America
25. Extreme Rusher - Happy Valley Beijing

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Haven't though about my top ten in ages so decided to rearrange it a bit!

1: Katun - Mirabilandia
2: Helix - Liseberg
3: Taron - Phantasialand
4: Dodonpa - Fui Q Highland
5: Wildfire - Kolmarden
6: Pyrenees - Parque Espana - Shima Spain Village
7: Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
8: Schwur des Karnan - Hansa Park
9: Space Mountain - WDW MK
10: Hyperion - Energylandia

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Haven't though about my top ten in ages so decided to rearrange it a bit!

1: Katun - Mirabilandia
2: Helix - Liseberg
3: Taron - Phantasialand
4: Dodonpa - Fui Q Highland
5: Wildfire - Kolmarden
6: Pyrenees - Parque Espana - Shima Spain Village
7: Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
8: Schwur des Karnan - Hansa Park
9: Space Mountain - WDW MK
10: Hyperion - Energylandia
Not many people have B&M Inverts in their Top 10s, but you've got three! Obvious what kind of thing you look for in a coaster then!