What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Snoo

The Legend
And we've got updates! Bold are new this year, as is tradition.

1. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2. Lightning Rod - Cedar Point
3. Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
4. Goliath - Six Flags Great America
5. Voyage - Holiday World
6. Superman: The Ride/Bizarro - Six Flags New England
7. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
8. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
9. Maverick - Cedar Point
10. Fury 325 - Carowinds

11. Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
12. Banshee - Kings Island
13. X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain
14. Twisted Cyclone - Six Flags Over Georgia
15. Tatsu - Six Flags Magic Mountain
16. The Joker - Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
17. Copperhead Strike - Carowinds
18. Mako - Sea World Orlando
19. Thunderbird - Holiday World
20. Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England

21. Skyrush - Hersheypark
22. Roar-o-saurus - Story Land
23. Leviathan - Canada's Wonderland
24. Mine Blower - Fun Spot America
25. Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point
26. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer
27. Phoenix - Knoebels
28. Goliath - Six Flags Over Georgia
29. Flight Deck - California's Great America
30. Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa Bay

Fury not better then Maverick? Get that outta here. WE HAVE THINGS TO TALK ABOUT TONIGHT SIR!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
After a month of deep reflection, the USA has made its mark:

1. Helix - Liseberg
2. Python in Bamboo Forest - Wanda Nanchang
3. Jungle Trailblazer - Fantawild Dreamland Zhengzhou
4. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain
5. Skyrush - Hersheypark
6. Flying Aces - Ferrari World
7. Eejanaika - Fuji-Q Highland
8. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
9. Fjord Flying Dragon - Happy Valley Tianjin
10. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure

11. Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
12. Lightning Rod - Dollywood

13. OCT Thrust SSC1000 - Happy Valley Wuhan
14. Taron - Phantasialand
15. DC Rivals Hypercoaster - Warner Bros. Movie World
16. Flying Dinosaur - Universal Studios Japan
17. Jungle Trailblazer - Oriental Heritage Wuhu
18. Wooden Coaster - Fireball - Happy Valley Shanghai
19. Twisted Cyclone - Six Flags Over Georgia
20. Railblazer - California's Great America

Snoo

The Legend
After a month of deep reflection, the USA has made its mark:

1. Helix - Liseberg
2. Python in Bamboo Forest - Wanda Nanchang
3. Jungle Trailblazer - Fantawild Dreamland Zhengzhou
4. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain
5. Skyrush - Hersheypark
6. Flying Aces - Ferrari World
7. Eejanaika - Fuji-Q Highland
8. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
9. Fjord Flying Dragon - Happy Valley Tianjin
10. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure

11. Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
12. Lightning Rod - Dollywood

13. OCT Thrust SSC1000 - Happy Valley Wuhan
14. Taron - Phantasialand
15. DC Rivals Hypercoaster - Warner Bros. Movie World
16. Flying Dinosaur - Universal Studios Japan
17. Jungle Trailblazer - Oriental Heritage Wuhu
18. Wooden Coaster - Fireball - Happy Valley Shanghai
19. Twisted Cyclone - Six Flags Over Georgia
20. Railblazer - California's Great America

Great to see El Toro holding up! :)

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I’ve got a few questions about your list, @HeartlineCoaster.
1) I know many claim El Toro to be the best wooden coaster in the world; how exactly does Fjord Flying Dragon challenge that?
2) I’ve heard polarizing things about Eejanaika, but you fortunately seem to be on the favoring side. What does Eejanaika do better than its Stateside brother?
3) The Jungle Trailblazers look like very solid rides; however, I am more than a bit surprised that the Zhengzou one beat out coasters such as Skyrush, Eejanaika, El Toro and all the RMC creations you’ve ridden. Could you perhaps elaborate on why the Jungle Trailblazers are so good, in your eyes?

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I’ve got a few questions about your list,
Gravity woodies are simply more my style than Intamins really (and even RMCs to an extent). It's pretty much my favourite ride type when it's done to its absolute best. There's always something going on with a good wooden rattle that alleviates any sensation of dead spots or 'waiting for things to happen' in a clinical fashion which, being the over-thinker I am, always causes things to suffer.
El Toro took what Intamin wood does best to the absolute limit, and I loved it, but they suffer from my old bugbear of see air time hill, expect air time moment.
I like an unpredictable layout the most and Gravity does these bits where it just chucks you again and again in whatever direction it feels like in stupidly quick succession and though it may not be the strongest forces it's so much more 'out of control'.
Fjord feels like it goes on at least twice as long as the bull and was a little more rough around the edges, in favour of my tastes. It brutalised you for having your hands up too much as well, which is something I like. Toro also has a weak spot in the speed hill which the ones above don't really have.

That Trailblazer specifically? I'd call it the most intense woodie I've done. It's a really strong memory in my hobby, sitting in the back row for the first time:
There were some old Chinese people in the middle of the train who didn't understand what the ride even was and had just wandered on (cos they're silly folks like that). The staff were chatting with them and basically recommending not to ride it cos it was 'that intense'. They got off after much faff, leaving me alone on the ride, looking out at the perfectly framed and rather intimidating first drop from the station.
A really timid staff girl comes up to me, bowing and blushing, and mimes that I specifically have to hold on to the restraint at all times. It's a common Chinese thing to enforce weird rules like this but I oblige, somewhat bemused, thinking in my head 'don't be silly, I know what I'm doing.'
There isn't really much to hold onto on a Timberliner, it's just sort of resting your hands on top of the restraint, but I maintained the charade up until the drop thinking I can put them up now.
The drop came up on me much faster than expected and tried to eject me both upwards and sideways in equal measure - in a way that I hadn't really experienced before (no Intamin wings to my name). There's not many rides in the world that instinctively force me to hold on (to whatever I could), but this was one of those moments.
The staff are all watching me from the station at this point, smiling and waving at me as it flies past them at full speed over what is essentially a 5ft hill. My mind says I want to wave back, but my body says no, I will die.
From there it's just the best paced and most vicious ride of its type that I've done. The anti-social high five bits as I call them are taken at ridiculous speed and feel rather dangerous, whipping you like you're gonna hit your head off the wood to the side of the track. There's the signature bouncing you around through the structure, completely out of control section that you can never anticipate and it hits the brakes hot (where Toro and Skyrush as mentioned both have a little breathing space before the end).

I just can't fault that ride (you know, like that 10/10 thread), whereas I can fault pretty much every ride below it. Skyrush? Weak in the morning, has 2 dud seats in every row, etc.

What does Eejanaika do better than its Stateside brother?
X2 just plain sucks in comparison to the other 2 sadly. It feels like it rotates you about 3 times during the ride (vs 14?) giving you time to breathe and see where you are in the layout, and that simply eliminates the sheer joy that comes with one of the only rides in existence on which you can't even tell what part of the ride you're at.
Eejanaika again is one of the most intense coasters on the planet. It throws you around, laughing, screaming and crying all at the same time, without a clue as to what's happening to your body and then makes you beg for more. X2? Judders around a slow corner over the station in the upright position while I'm shrugging with sunglasses on.
I might be rare in that I rode it last of the 3, but to someone who over-analyses, it was glaringly obvious that it was a much inferior ride (but it's the prototype, so fair play to it).

Bring on Voyage.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I love The Voyage for similar reasons to why you love Jungle Trailblazer. It’s so much more out of control due to the roughness, and the longer the ride goes on the more you are being jostled around and thrown out of your seat. The first bit of large, loping hills provide some decent floater airtime; then, as soon as you hit the spaghetti bowl turnaround in the woods The Voyage begins to try to knock you out. The mid-course brake run gives not nearly enough time to brace for the mental insanity that is The Voyage’s final act, the rampage down the hillside that the coaster climbed atop. The triple down is my favorite element on The Voyage, as while the first drop doesn’t do much the second picks up the pace and the third — well, it has airtime so strong and so abrupt that it caught me off guard on every single one of my nine laps aboard The Voyage. What follows the triple down is laterals that slam you to the side of your seat, raw ejector airtime that will try to fling you onto the neighboring farmland and all of this insanity is taken at a blistering pace.

That just about summarizes my thoughts on The Voyage. At night, with no trims and a lucky lap in the back row it’s a totally different and (somehow) even more breathtaking ride. To be honest, The Voyage makes me wish that Gravity Group would build some larger coasters again — if they do and I get to ride even one, I might have a new favorite coaster ;)

Niles

Giga Poster
I have been lucky enough to ride 257 coasters and I find it hard to rank them but here's a Top 15:

15: Nemesis: Still my favourite in the UK, forceful and the best themed on the list.
14: Ravine Flyer II: Great all round coaster with a great view.
13: Phoenix: Hehe yea those laps are brilliant.
12: Beast: Night ride with fireflies lighting the way, oh yea beautiful.
11: Thunder bird: Best wing coaster I've done and very re-rideable with some good forceful launch.
10: Storm runner: Great launch with a strange layout that really pulls you at some points.
9: Diamond back: Brilliant long layout with great floating airtime, and a brilliant splash down.
8: Phantoms revenge: Even though I have done higher drops this one feels the longest and its little pops really hit.

The top 7 are for me the only coasters that I would say are 10/10 and give me that oh S!%T feeling.

7: Maverick: Good things do come in small packages, while dwarfed by other coasters like millennium force this has great forces that make it stand out, unique layout with snappy elements and that inside launch.....dam took my breath away.

6: Ghostrider: The coaster that got me in to all this, I've always liked coasters but this made me want to find even more and find people that thought the same. I got to ride this just after the retracting. The ejector, forceful turns and long layout makes this a must do.

5: Voyage: It just keeps going and never loses speed, intense all the way round, holiday world has a great line-up but this is the star, while kind of rough it does not hamper the experience for me if anything it just makes it more fun.

4: Lightning Rod: while apparently not running as fast when I got on it, it still packs a punch, completely relentless from beginning to end. The quad down is amazing, the drop is powerful and the launch is a great rush.

3: Top Thrill Dragster: Hummm for me this is more than big Stealth that launch is not only forceful it just keeps going and going faster and faster, this has to been done in the front like all launch coasters, after the launch you get an amazing view and a massive twirling drop that made my stomach drop, but it give you no time to gather your thoughts. Short but very very sweet.

2: Skyrush: For me the best coaster for ejector airtime, defiantly to powerful for some but for me perfect, I got to do this 10 times over and over and loved every second, the cable lift flings you over and from there you will fly out of your seat. speaking of your seat the restraints, I gave myself room and pulled the bar up throughout the ride, maybe I've got thighs of steel but it did not effect my experience.

1: Steel vengeance: What to say that has not been said, perfect just perfect for me, I was lucky and got an ERT on this for 1 hour ( so I never queued ;) ) and I did not waste a second, my thighs did not thank me but I got 10+ goes on this. I'm so thankful I got a chance to ride this the way I did. Hopefully something will beat it but I'm not sure what could.

I have got many rides or ERT/ERS on all of these ( other than No3, No7 and No10 ( I see a pattern here) ) and it honestly really helps them move up my list I have done coasters like X2, Stormchaser, mystic timber and Olympia looping but I only got one ride or they were long ago and I don't seem to remember them as well, hopefully I can try them again.

Also Honourable mentions:

Nostalgia: Stealth: my closest big coaster, I've grown up with this being my best, I have some of the best memories on this and I love it, I also took my now GF on this on are third date and scared the sugar out of her :D
Odd: Flying Turns: great fun time, I love this strange thing
rough and fun: Ultimate: if your in the UK please ride this brilliant thing so mean but good fun
Themed: Big thunder mountain Paris: amazing ride just beautiful

Thanks for reading :p

Apologies for any spelling errors

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
rough and fun: Ultimate: if your in the UK please ride this brilliant thing so mean but good fun

I'm always sad that due to my height I can't take the batterings this gives my knees anymore as this is the coaster I have ridden the most in my life, still remember the first time on a school trip 19 years ago and not knowing there was a turn after the second drop. Love the trains on it as well

Did you ever get to mingo when Magnum and Bullet were there?

Niles

Giga Poster
I'm always sad that due to my height I can't take the batterings this gives my knees anymore as this is the coaster I have ridden the most in my life, still remember the first time on a school trip 19 years ago and not knowing there was a turn after the second drop. Love the trains on it as well

Did you ever get to mingo when Magnum and Bullet were there?

Dam that’s a shame it beats you up so much, could you wear knee pads ;)

I’m form the bottom of England and last year was my first time up to Lightwater and Mingo, so I never got to go on Magnum or Bullet unfortunately, it’s all right though I can just hop to Mexico and get them :oops:

Snoo

The Legend
@Niles That is an absolutely delicious top 10, top 5 especially.
@Snoo - Skyrush dawg.

Listen, we rode it, for ERT at night as well.. and my feelings remain on it. The restraints killed my legs. The ride is phenomenal, yes, but when I'm in physical pain, I can't enjoy it and can't rate it as high. I think of our group, I may have been one of the only in 2012 who were not huge fans. Shame too, as it does look good.

Btw, I have the same feelings regarding Maverick to some capacity as well. It's not about the ride but the restraints. I've been on more intense rides as well, hell you remember Steel Vengeance, but those leg bar Intamin restraints are just ass.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Listen, we rode it, for ERT at night as well.. and my feelings remain on it. The restraints killed my legs. The ride is phenomenal, yes, but when I'm in physical pain, I can't enjoy it and can't rate it as high. I think of our group, I may have been one of the only in 2012 who were not huge fans. Shame too, as it does look good.

Btw, I have the same feelings regarding Maverick to some capacity as well. It's not about the ride but the restraints. I've been on more intense rides as well, hell you remember Steel Vengeance, but those leg bar Intamin restraints are just ass.
giphy.gif

Snoo

The Legend
Added and moved significantly up two rides, Fury 325 (which was at 28) to number 8. I dunno what happened last time but she was BURNING deliciousness when we hopped on. Glad to have rerode such a fun ride. Definitely worthy of where it sits. Copperhead Strike is the new one and the fun, the airtime, the hangtime.. all brilliant. I'm one of the weirdos apparently calling it better then Maverick but when you break it down to which ride I liked more, CS wins. Maverick may be more intense but CS is more fun. In this case, fun wins.

1 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2 Lightning Rod - Dollywood
3 Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
4 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
5 Goliath - Six Flags Great America
6 Wildfire - Kolmarden
7 Voyage - Holiday World
8 Fury 325 - Carowinds
9 Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
10 Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom

11 Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee
12 Copperhead Strike - Carowinds
13 Maverick - Cedar Point
14 Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer
15 Phoenix - Knoebels
16 Cornball Express - Indiana Beach
17 Banshee - Kings Island
18 Afterburn - Carowinds
19 Boardwalk Bullet - Kemah Boardwalk
20 Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
21 Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point
22 Superman The Ride - Six Flags New England
23 Lightning Run - Kentucky Kingdom
24 X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain
25 Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland
26 Tatsu - Six Flags Magic Mountain
27 Mystic Timbers - Kings Island
28 Prowler - Worlds of Fun
29 Leviathan - Canada's Wonderland
30 Thunderbird - Holiday World

The one thing I will say is that my Top 10 has significantly changed since 2013 when I first created this topic. Only three coasters remain.. El Toro, Voyage, and Boulder Dash. I also just realized that those 7 other coasters have been built since then AND all of them are RMC short of Fury.

2013:
1 Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
2 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
3 Maverick - Cedar Point
4 Superman - Ride Of Steel / Bizarro - Six Flags New England
5 Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer
6 Voyage - Holiday World
7 X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain
8 Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point
9 Phoenix - Knoebels
10 Cornball Express - Indiana Beach

2019: