What's new

Tom's NL2 Thread: Swing Launch and B&M Hyper 5/14

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Here is my current project I am supporting now, track work is 100% done, supports are 3% done.

Quick stats:
Intamin LSM
One Inversion
165 feet
4,833 feet
Beyond vertical drop

Teaser pictures:

Note, final break run is still getting tweaked and supports that look like the collide were already removed.

Last edited:

Jer

Strata Poster
hold on let me just get my magnifying glass out....

yeah brake run isnt straight.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I just put catwalks on it, its transport track with no acceleration, I hid the transport device, bit of fail on my part, oh well its already changed. I forgot to resize the images, net time I will.

Lofty

CF Legend
I liked the layout. I like how it also combines several great elements and when you think it's over it packs another punch.

On the down said, things to look out for: It was pretty rough, it pumped at every transition, this can be resolved by clicking ctrl+G (cmd+G for mac). There is also a lot of times in which the track hits one another, probably the best way to get the spacing correct is to tunnel test it. The segments you think are close to one another, make them into tunnels, then ride it and see if they hit one another, then just modify and change back to normal track.

Hope this has helped?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I basically agree with everything Lofty has summed up everything that I was going to say.

The other thing was more general and to try and use more segments. It allows you much greater control over the track shaping and smoothing.

Overall, I think you've got the gist of NL, just a case of refining it.

RCF

Strata Poster
And one other thing. On your brake runs, make sure they're completely flat and straight because the one before the lift AND the last brake run were all kinda wonky and had little bumps.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I got an 'Invalid or Deleted File' message.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
OK... this wasn't the best, but it certainly wasn't the worst I've seen. :p

There were pumps and jerks all over the track. Try using the auto-smoother (Ctrl+G) to eradicate some of these problems. The layout was OK, but it didn't feel like it had much flow or thought, just kinda 'where shall we go next' type of thing. Some of the elements were a bit odd too, the upwards launch thing, and the hangtime bit. Nothing wrong with them as such, they just didn't fit.

Supports were a little less than good I'm afraid. There were a few collisions (most noticeably on one of the inline twists) and some bits were a bit heavy on supports and others a bit light.

Hopefully I've covered everything a little bit, I can do a more detailed breakdown if you want, but this should give you the main pointers. I don't want to sound like I'm slagging you off too much, it's a good effort! Good luck in the comp too!

4/10

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Oh I failed miserably in that, ha ha. But yeah, I knew those problems were there, I just hit the deadline so I had to turn it in. The support work was done in about 15 minutes because thats how much time I had left.

Thanks for the comments, very helpful. The hangtime bit was supposed to be just something out of the ordinary, and the upwards launch was to give the ride an extra kick.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: tomahawKSU's dev thread

So I am finally going to release a new track. I haven't released one in nearly 2 years, so here it is, Torrent, an Intamin launch. It's short, sweet and to the point. It's my first time spending some actual time supporting and trying real hard to get it right. Hope it turned out decent. Note, colors and supports altered since screenshot.

http://www.mediafire.com/?t5127zpmtjybvi1

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Re: tomahawKSU's dev thread (new track released!)

Well, you released a ride, so that's a good start. You also have the right idea with lead ins and lead outs for your elements. Next time, use continuous roll for twisting nodes, as they will be a lot smoother and also try and keep your segments the same length. Also, the flanges were strange.

Good effort. You just need more practice. 5/10

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Antinos said:
Well, you released a ride, so that's a good start. You also have the right idea with lead ins and lead outs for your elements. Next time, use continuous roll for twisting nodes, as they will be a lot smoother and also try and keep your segments the same length. Also, the flanges were strange.
Yeah, pretty much this. It was fast, so the lead-ins/outs need to be long, but they felt a little too drawn out for my liking. I kinda liked the layout though, seems like something a park would 'cram' into a corner, so it was kinda cool.

Also, the colours changed... :p

I'd echo the 5/10. Nice idea, but with more practice it'd be great. Keep it up though!

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: tomahawKSU's dev thread (TWO new track released!)

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it. So I have 2 new tracks, one is more of a, **** it, did it in a day, didn't take it too seriously, idea seemed good, and the other one I put some effort into it with smoothing, and besides for a few spots, I think it turned out a lot better. I know it still needs some work, but it was fun.

First one (not serious) is "Tron Escape the Grid"

DewN7.png

http://www.mediafire.com/?9o816254lz64c4n

Second one (more serious) is Warhawk, a GCI.

uGLyp.png

http://www.mediafire.com/?66njjbvlma2j27g

Again, comments and criticism are greatly appreciated.

Montario

Roller Poster

I quite like the idea for the first coaster, considering you did it in one day. Haven't seen anyone use a Vekoma motorbike coaster during my time here. However, there were many jerks and some of your transitions looked odd. The idea needs elaborating. 5/10 (taking into account duration of development.) Your wooden coaster wouldn't so I unfortunately couldn't rate that.