What's new

Tokyo Disneyland | Space Mountain (rebuild) | Unknown | 2027?

Projektion

Mega Poster

Tokyo Disneyland's "Space Mountain" Attraction and
and Surrounding Environment at Tokyo Disneyland

Oriental Land Co., Ltd. announces that it has decided to renovate Space Mountain and the surrounding environment in Tomorrowland at Tokyo Disneyland, which will open in 2027.

The decision to completely rebuild Space Mountain and its surrounding environment will result in the development of an iconic Tomorrowland plaza.

Space Mountain is a thrilling indoor roller coaster-type attraction that takes guests on a high-speed ride through outer space, and has been a favorite attraction of many guests since its grand opening at Tokyo Disneyland in 1983.

The new "Space Mountain" will continue the current roller coaster-type indoor attraction, but with new performance and special effects, guests will be able to enjoy an even more thrilling and exciting space trip than before.

The Tomorrowland plaza will be a place where space and earth are connected and a future where mankind and nature are in harmony will be expressed, where guests can relax and feel a hopeful future through the many monuments. At night, light and sound effects will take guests into a spectacular world.

Please look forward to the new "Space Mountain" and Tomorrowland plaza.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

1651050759604.png

The current Space Mountain will close in 2024, and the new one will open in 2027.

cookie

Giga Poster
I had plans for a Japan trip in 2025, so this closing a year earlier puts a bit of pressure to move that up, since it’d be a shame to miss out on Space Mt.

Looks like they’re taking a lot of cues from Shanghai’s Tron with the overall look, and I trust Disney/OLC to make it look excellent. Tokyo’s Tomorrowland looks pretty dated from the photos I’ve seen anyhow, so a refresh was overdue.

Last edited:

Changa

Mega Poster
The concept art looks AMAZING. Given how the disneyland retrack was, I wonder how much of the actual coaster will change? Or if it will just have operational & theming upgrades.

Projektion

Mega Poster
I guess I got the title wrong for this thread, it's less "completely rebuild Space mountain" and more "build a new space mountain". The current Space mountain will be completely torn down and a new one will be built behind where the current one stands.
The winding path thats coming out from the ride in the concept art is about where the current one stands.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Initial Thoughts: "I just woke up and WTF"

Current thoughts: "I.....don't believe it. How is this-"

Also... Judging by the wording ("The new "Space Mountain" inherits the current roller coaster-type indoor attraction, but with new performance and special effects, you can enjoy more thrilling and exciting space travel than ever before. increase."), could it be that they could be tearing down the old dome and building a new one around the existing coaster structure? Although "new performance" might put paid to that.

cookie

Giga Poster
I guess I got the title wrong for this thread, it's less "completely rebuild Space mountain" and more "build a new space mountain". The current Space mountain will be completely torn down and a new one will be built behind where the current one stands.
The winding path thats coming out from the ride in the concept art is about where the current one stands.
I figured there wasn’t going to be enough space for everything in that concept art if it remained at the same location. Tokyo’s Tomorrowland is already pretty cramped after the Fantasyland expansion essentially nuked the southern end of the area. I guess this means the bus terminal behind Space Mt. would have to be moved further back or be relocated entirely?

Last edited:

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Could this be an expansion on the GOTG coaster concept? From what I’ve heard about the space scenes and projection in that, it’s a big upgrade to the “space in a box” theme.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I agree that the concept art takes big cues from Shanghai's tomorrowland - which is only a good thing as I LOVE that aesthetic..

As for the ride experience I hope they take big inspiration from Space Fantasy at USJ - which even without all the effects on (I took my headset off on the VR overlay - was STILL much better that the space mountain at TDL - it's not hard to do really just absolutely FILL the space with fibre optics for a start..... and with GOTG cosmic rewind opeing soon - I expect the bench mark for inclosed space themed coasters and their effects to be taken a notch up.

having ridden all the Disney space mountains.... non have really given me a sense of zooming through space like Space fantasy did - and that was all down to the effects ,and the sense of depth they used.... this is what Disney need to get down..... but I trust Tokyo Disney with this 100% - and am excited to see what they produce!

also love that it's a non-IP investment!

ricky coasters

Roller Poster
This is why I LOVE the Oriental Land Company! They aint afraid to churn out non IP rides and take somethin to the next level! Even though Space Mountain looks like a cream pie Im still hyped to see if the layout changes, the effects change... we shall see!

cocoa

Mega Poster
this actually makes heaps of sense. That area is clearly the worst in the current park, IMO. it was barely better than hong kong, which is embarassing enough already XD. I guess its hard to make a good future theme that doesn't look **** in thirty years

(kind of reminds me of the architectural rule, that buildings that are ~50 years old always look terrible and everyone wants to tear them down and rebuild. But if you manage to outlast that pressure, all of a sudden it begins looking cool and retro and `part of the fabric of the city')

i do wish they would add a people mover though, I loved that ride as a kid

peep

CF Legend
Reading Disney forums it seems that one of the only expansion pads left at Tokyo Disneyland is behind Space Mountain so the new structure could also be a way to make it easier for guests to get to this future location.

Either way it's wild that they're just going to tear down one of the big E-tickets and build a newer version. (although for ages the plan was to do the same with Small World) I quite like the new design, certainly a lot of curves going on like in Shanghai's Tomorrowland. Curious to see if they will switch up the coaster type to be more in line with Guardians. Exciting stuff.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I had assumed the expansion pad behind tokyo's tomorrowland would inevitably house a 'Galaxy's edge' star wars land - as it's about the right size, and makes sense right next to tomorrow land. I guess they could squeeze in both!

Justin2000

Mega Poster
I had assumed the expansion pad behind tokyo's tomorrowland would inevitably house a 'Galaxy's edge' star wars land - as it's about the right size, and makes sense right next to tomorrow land. I guess they could squeeze in both!

Isn't Beauty and the Beast Similar to Rise?

cookie

Giga Poster
Isn't Beauty and the Beast Similar to Rise?
Other than being trackless dark rides, they couldn't be any more different. BatB has structurally more in common with the Fantasyland dark rides of old (essentially retelling the events of the film) and is intended for all ages, whereas Rise is a big modern thrill ride on the level of the likes of Spider-Man and Transformers over at Universal. Rise wouldn't be any more redundant at Tokyo than BatB is to Pooh's Hunny Hunt (which it's not).

Last edited:

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
They're already getting the jump on this, the parking lot behind Space Mountain is being torn up right now and scaffolding is up around the spire. You'd think that it would be a little early to start work since Space Mountain isn't set to close until 2024, but eh Disney is Disney;
space-mountain-transformation-tokyo-disneyland-construction-1-800x600.jpg
space-mountain-transformation-tokyo-disneyland-construction-2-800x600.jpg
space-mountain-transformation-tokyo-disneyland-construction-3-800x600.jpg
space-mountain-transformation-tokyo-disneyland-construction-4-800x600.jpg
Source