What's new

Toasters

Do you get startled by the toast popping up?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rush

Giga Poster
Short story. Yesterday, as I was putting my cereal bowl in the dishwasher, my sister's bread had just finished toasting and it (unexpectedly) popped up, accompanied by the springing sound. This startled me causing me to drop my cereal bowl and break it.

Today, I had toast and I was even a bit anxious waiting for the toast to pop up. When it finally did, it made me jump again.

I don't know whether it's because of my fear of surprise (i.e bursting balloon) but some of my friends also get startled by it.

Anyway, does the mechanics of a toaster make you quiver with fear? Or am i just a scaredy cat? :p

Ollie

CF Legend
I have jumped a couple of times but I don't usually.
The worst time was when I leaned over it to see how toasted it was and it popped up in my face. :(

Nuh uh because I like my "toast" so that is it basically just bread with a tiny bit of a tan, as in, JUST starting to get some colour. So I usually never wait until it pops up because then it is actually brown, thus, I must pop it up myself :p .

Emmett

Giga Poster
When my toaster pops the toast it looks like its still toasting because its that battered and old. I usually pop the toast myself because I can't be bothered waiting.

Lain

Giga Poster
Our toaster is rubbish, and it usually has to be manually 'popped', so there's no unexpected frightening things to make me break cereal bowls.

Kebab

Giga Poster
The toast has once popped up and distraughtly pushed me into the kitchen work surfaces until I suffered seizures and resulting in permanent brain damage. I have been quite weary ever since..

But seriously, I've only jumped a few times in my lifetime because of it :)

BetaKitten

Mega Poster
My old toaster was evil and didn't pop up until your toast was more like charcoal so i always had to manually pop up my toast... if i remembered.... which was rarely.... so the smell of burning usually preceeded any popping up...

Anyways now my toaster works but it still doesn't make me jump...

Will

Strata Poster
Yes, the stupidest of things have this effect on me, as many CFers are fond of exploiting :p
Much worse than toasters however, for those who remember cassette machines - that EVIL sudden noise they made when the tape came to an end, and the play button popped back up. The number of times that RUINED a night's sleep in my younger years... Ugh.