Which is more vital to a household?

• Toaster

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Microwave

Votes: 16 88.9%

• Total voters

mouse

Giga Poster
Its about time this forum had a topic of real depth and profundity.

What is more vital to a household, a toaster or a microwave?

I was discussing with some friends the versatility of a toaster, and the variety of foodstuffs that can be toasted using one. As you can imagine it was a very interesting discussion. As we were discussing the best topping for a crumpet (I was fighting the case for plain butter), one friend admitted that he in fact did not own a toaster. "So how do you make toast?" we asked, and he explained that he doesn't often eat toast, and when he does he toasts it under the grill. I guess you could toast most things under the grill, but surely its not the same? And its much less convenient.

After 10 minutes of confusion and despair over the thought of a toasterless household, the conversation turned to other kitchen appliances, which is when I then revealed that for a long time I didn't own a microwave (I have one now and its **** great though). My toasterless friend then gushed about the importance and convenience of a microwave, and attempted to ridicule me for not previously owning one. I think this was partly because he was feeling vulnerable due to not having a toaster, and wanted to regain some pride. Similar to a toaster, an oven can do many of the things a microwave can do, albeit less conveniently.

I still think a toaster is much more important to a happy, functional kitchen than a microwave. But what do you think? Do you own both, or one, or none? I understand this could be a controversial and emotional topic for discussion, but please refrain from personal insults.

6608936_orig.jpg

Microwave-2.jpg

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I dont want to take anything away from the toaster here but the microwave is the clear winner. So many useful cooking methods rolled into one. Defrosting meat, boiling water, poaching eggs, the list is endless.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
You can also heat up mars bars which I recommend and I use the microwave instead of the oven (my cook book hits stores May 30th!). You can do so much with the microwave whereas toasters are only for bread. Also when toast pops up out the toaster it always makes me jump (unless someone else is in the kitchen) - It's the only household appliance that frightens me so it's going to be a microwave for me!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
While the microwave has a more versatile selection of what/how you can cook, toaster gets a better outcome imo. Everything I microwave always comes out soggy and or moist.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You've never lived life on the edge until you've microwaved a toaster making toast.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

KingOfI305

Roller Poster
Pink Panther said:
You can also heat up mars bars which I recommend and I use the microwave instead of the oven (my cook book hits stores May 30th!). You can do so much with the microwave whereas toasters are only for bread. Also when toast pops up out the toaster it always makes me jump (unless someone else is in the kitchen) - It's the only household appliance that frightens me so it's going to be a microwave for me!

Wait you have a book coming out?! What's the name of the book? I'd like to purchase it. I love buying books from authors I know outside of their books!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Still can't get over the fact you were without a microwave for so long - I've used it three times today already! If I had known you were living in squalor, I would have sent you a delicately decorated Operation Christmas Child shoebox stuffed with glitter pens, toothbrushes and John Lewis gift cards. Glad you're in a better place.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I don't have either. When the occasional need for toasted goods arises, the grill does a decent enough job.

I've only ever used a microwave for reheating stuff or "cooking" crappy frozen meals, which I don't buy myself anyway but will occasionally grab when I'm at my parents' place.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Can do everything a toaster does with the grill in the oven.

Can't replace what a microwave does in the time it does it.

Easy answer.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I'd miss either of them if I was stuck without them, as I'm a big fan of toasting my sandwiches at home. That said, I'd rather give up the toaster and resort to using the grill occasionally rather than give up the versatile convenience of the microwave. The microwave is an essential means of quickly preparing a variety of food, whilst the toaster is a slight time and effort saver under very specific circumstances.

mouse

Giga Poster
Pink Panther said:
Still can't get over the fact you were without a microwave for so long - I've used it three times today already! If I had known you were living in squalor, I would have sent you a delicately decorated Operation Christmas Child shoebox stuffed with glitter pens, toothbrushes and John Lewis gift cards. Glad you're in a better place.
Indeed they were dark times. I often think about it, and wonder just how I survived. However it inevitably shaped who I am as a person, and I am now stronger because of it. I now must focus on fighting for microwave rights not just nationally, but globally. Microwaveless households must stop if we want a peaceful and happy future, and I plan to tour the world telling my story and campaigning for this worthy cause.

Saying that I would still give the microwave up to keep the toaster. I only use it for reheating stuff and heating up Uncle Ben's Rice Times (other rice based microwaveable lunch-pots are available (although none are as good)), and I feel the toaster has more of a specific role of, well, toasting stuff. I see the microwave as a more of a luxury, whereas a toaster is vital to every household...

Which is why I'm starting a campaign to increase the toaster per household rate in developing countries, so that no one is forced to live without a toaster. I'll do the toaster campaign before the microwave one I think, and then once they're done I'll start focusing on campaigning for those cool spiral cucumber slicers.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
You're a true born survivor, but i'm afraid Miss Microwave is the still kween of the kitchen. The toaster is a one trick pony and could not match the versatility of the microwave; its only saving grace it that it rhymes with 'coaster'. The microwave has transformed my life and with 'one shot' of inspiration from celebrity chef Sandra Lee I am releasing my first cook book '100 Meals, 1 Microwave' (which hits stores May 30th!).

I am touched you have decided to dedicate your life to raising the awareness of the terrifying toaster-shortage that's rampant among these less fortunate countries. Maybe with my next venture, '50 Meals, 1 Toaster' (which comes out in time for Christmas!), we could work together to combat this urgent epidemic - A signed free copy of my cookbook with every toaster! Philanthropy at its finest.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Microwaves

As a parent, we would never have survived the first 2 years of either of the kids lives without a microwave. We barely use the toaster anyway, and like everyone else, would use the grill if it broke. If the microwave broke we'd be at the shop 10 minutes later buying another one.

mouse

Giga Poster
Pink Panther said:
I am touched you have decided to dedicate your life to raising the awareness of the terrifying toaster-shortage that's rampant among these less fortunate countries. Maybe with my next venture, '50 Meals, 1 Toaster' (which comes out in time for Christmas!), we could work together to combat this urgent epidemic - A signed free copy of my cookbook with every toaster! Philanthropy at its finest.
I'm recording backing vocals for the charity single this weekend :)

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Microwave. Toasters are useful but are a one-trick pony in just making various types of toast whereas microwaves can do pretty much anything.

Microwaves for sure. A toaster is good for what, bread and bagels? I barely eat toast anyway, but I heat up my food all the time. So yep, definitely a microwave.

Such an interesting topic with such profound views :p

KingOfI305

Roller Poster
So I'm going to be the odd ball here, but why not a stove where you can actually prepare a proper meal with pots and pans and spices and other ingredients, etc.?

Soo I'd rather a full kitchen than just a microwave where I'm eating pre-packed meals that aren't anywhere near as delicious as freshly cooked meals.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Have to agree with Mouse here, I reckon I could go ages without a microwave, but a toaster?! No. It's a necessary component for all the crumpets, pitta bread, toast and scotch pancakes I eat on a daily basis :D

Only really use the microwave to microwave my cup of tea when I forget about it and it gets cold.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Both are useful, and I use both often, but I feel I can do anything I'd usually do with a toaster under the grill....so microwave for me!