What's new

Tivoli Gardens | Fatamorgana | Huss Condor 2G

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Was just told that Tivoli is investing an impressive DKK 100 million (EUR 13.5 million) in a new ride for 2016.
Considering the price tag, I think we can assume that this will be the new long awaited coaster.

At this moment nothing more is known than that it will be located where the former "Dragen" flat ride was.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Tivoli Gardens Invests 100 Million For 2016

Well, surely those "4D tracked simulators" are expensive as heck too? If I recall correctly, Universal Studios spent a ludicrous sum on its Spiderman ride, and in a dense city an attraction like that would be far less likely to attract neighbour complaints. Can't remember what TusenFryd bought Thor's Hammer for, but it was a significant sum even in a location with most infrastructure already in place.

A coaster would be brilliant, though.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

^ Well, that is true, but Tivoli has been wanting a new coaster for some time now.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

nadroJ said:
Well that title was misleading...

Oh, only by some ten percent. All these other sums usually quoted here are off by a factor of 8 or 12, to me. This time, the actual sum to be invested (114 million) was only a little bit more than the sum quoted (100 million). The other week, there was a thread saying LWV were investing "350k", which upon inspection turned out to actualy be nearly 4.2 million. By citing a sum in a currency so closely valuated to the Norwegian Krone, this thread title was a lot less misleading than what is usually the case.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Re: Tivoli Gardens Invests DKK 100 Million For 2016

When I read something like Tivoli invests 100 million with no currency next to it forgive me for not automatically assuming DKK. It's more for a point of reference than anything, for instance 100 million dollars, pounds or euros is an extortionate amount of money, 100million DKK is what I would call a standard theme park investment for a substantial attraction.

So basically, I got excited when I shouldn't have XD

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

Pokemaniac said:
This time, the actual sum to be invested (114 million) was only a little bit more than the sum quoted (100 million).

What do you mean?
It is DKK 100 million.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

^Which is NOK 114 million...

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Or 1753900252.02 Japanese Yen!

Hope they are indeed building a coaster. Tivoli has always been a gorgeous park, and glad to see new investment.

STC

Mega Poster

nadroJ said:
When I read something like Tivoli invests 100 million with no currency next to it forgive me for not automatically assuming DKK. It's more for a point of reference than anything, for instance 100 million dollars, pounds or euros is an extortionate amount of money, 100million DKK is what I would call a standard theme park investment for a substantial attraction.

So basically, I got excited when I shouldn't have XD
Some weird cultural imperialism going on in this thread, presumably from Brits and Americans! If you see a topic title with a spend figure but without the currency specified, surely you'd automatically assume it's in the currency of the country that the park is in...?

Not really disappointing either - most people know that Scando currencies are roughly ten to the pound (as a rule of thumb).

Anyway, exciting news. I want to get to this park at some point, it looks really beautiful. They should be looking at Liseberg and considering what could be done with a Mack Launch. :)

ThomVD

Giga Poster

I was mislead by the title too and thought Tivoli had gone insane. Nothing to do with imperialism. Euros and dollars are international currencies that are usually used in international news articles. Just like English is an internationally used language. We all speak English on here despite being from different countries, don't we?

Nothing wrong with using DKK, but if it's not stated, then it's no surprise that people are going to misinterpret it.

STC

Mega Poster

ThomVD said:
Nothing wrong with using DKK, but if it's not stated, then it's no surprise that people are going to misinterpret it.

But the theme park is in Denmark. If you know that, why would you assume the figure is £/$?

TheCoasterCruiser is a Dane, posting about a Danish theme park on an international forum. There was no "international news article" - he was presumably quoting from a Danish news source. Why should he be criticised for posting the Danish price?

The title was only misleading if you're either Anglocentric or don't know anything about Scandinavian currencies. :roll:

ThomVD

Giga Poster

Trust me, I know a lot about Scandinavia and their currencies, it's just that it's very common that prices mentioned on an international forum are either € or $, and on CF £ is common because a big part of the members are from England. I think, even if it was euros, it is always a good thing to state which currency it is. It's no big deal and I'm not really 'criticizing' CoasterCruiser, I just said that I understand why people (including me) thought other things when reading the title.

STC

Mega Poster

Yeah sorry, that comment was aimed more at nadroJ ("Well that title was misleading...")

Just thought it was a bit sad that TCC had to apologetically say that he "didn't really mean to mislead [us]" for writing about a Danish park as a Dane using the Danish currency.

Anyway, sorry for derailing this a little bit! Moving on!

elephant58

Hyper Poster

^Yes, but considering the majority of CF members are most likely to be either British or American, most would assume it's the currency of their home country. And considering when most major investments are announced in Europe, they almost always announce the cost in Pound Sterling, US Dollar, or Euro. Only occasionally do we see different currencies such as this one and the Swedish one, when Helix was announced/

You're being unfair calling people 'Anglocentric' and accusing members of 'cultural imperialism', when they only assumed the currencies most familiar to them, which is a natural, human thing to do.

EDIT: Just discovered that 2 more posts were made during the making of mine. My point of recognising familiar currencies still stands, though.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

^

No where in all of scandinavia would a theme park announce the cost of their attraction in anything other than their national currency. When that is said, let's move on.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

I just want to say that I don't think anybody meant any negativity towards TCC, it was just funny because people were hoping for an insane investment when they clicked the topic. But yeah, let's get back on topic.

How much space does Tivoli actually have? Being in the center of the city and all.

nadroJ

CF Legend

STC said:
Yeah sorry, that comment was aimed more at nadroJ
I would try and justify myself but Thom VD has already explained it rather eloquently, it has nothing to do with 'cultural imperialism', or 'not knowing anything about Scandinavian currencies' (I've been to Scandinavia 5 times), so get off of your high horse.

Also, on topic, yay for Tivoli potentially getting something awesome for a relatively normal attraction fee as opposed to my original thought when reading the topic title and thinking oh my god Tivoli are going mad and investing in something epic.