What's new

Thunder Road to close July 26th

Hutch

Strata Poster
Normally I'd think of an RMC refurb, but they just got Fury and this is Cedar Fair, so I dunno. The "family-fun" attractions sounds like a bunch of flat rides. Maybe a new area dedicated to family flats?

Intricks

Strata Poster
Is the kiddie area located near there? If it is, I see an expansion similar to what has been going into all the other Parks so far.

So more Flyers!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
The park president said they'll be "making a splash for 2016", so I can only assume a waterpark expansion. Probably by the turnarounds.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Last time I rode this in 2011 it was really rough and not as enjoyable as Racer, so I'm not terribly upset that it's going, but anytime a cred is ripped out for something dumb like a waterpark expansion (particularly since they not only JUST got a waterpark expansion but because their waterpark is a nasty concrete parking lot full of wasted space) it's not exactly a welcome sight in my eyes.

They haven't, however, said anything about the ride being directly removed if I'm correct and that's what makes me suspicious. The language seems reminiscent of how Cedar Point was talking about Mantis before it became Rougarou. Could this maybe be the coaster they're using to give RMC a shot to see if they like their work enough to allow them to work on other coasters of theirs, such as Mean Streak, Ghostrider, or Wild Beast?

I'd always wanted them to RMC this using blue and gray rails and have both sides roll over each other, think a 360-degree high five element but one crosses over the other and they end up on opposite sides. Maybe even theme the trains like Civil War-era ironclad ships?

I feel like, unfortunately, this is to expand their crappy waterpark. The "make a splash in 2016" comment or whatever it was is almost impossible to ignore. But if that's what it is, my money is on a mat racer and maybe something else. Unless this is some kind of water ride the park wants to add or an installation of another Voyage to the Iron Reef (Matt Ouimett did say they might move storylines around if I'm correct), this almost has to be for the waterpark if this is at all related to 2016 plans.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I'm not a waterpark expert, but if it is a waterpark expansion, I'd say it's either going to be a capsule slide complex, or( if they don't have one) an ever so popular zero-g slide/funnel slide hybrid.

Jarrett

GuyWithAStick said:
I'm not a waterpark expert, but if it is a waterpark expansion, I'd say it's either going to be a capsule slide complex, or( if they don't have one) an ever so popular zero-g slide/funnel slide hybrid.

Capsule complex I could see (though they already have Pipeline Peak for those who want something deathly terrifying) but as for the hybrid complex, they already have Surfer's Swell and Dorsal Fin Drop. Cedar Point recently got a mat racer so that's where my thinking comes from.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Of course the year I finally go, it will be in August...will miss this cred by a month.
May not be a great coaster, no one seemed to feel it was, but it is a classic and the consensus seemed to be a water park expansion, not even RMC job or new coaster.

Sucks, but will give me more time for Fury 325!

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
Rode it for the last time today. It was the smoothness ride I ever had on any wooden coaster (which isn't saying much considering I've only been on seven, but it tracked beautifully). It's a shame Cedar Fair doesn't see fit in keeping this ride but I know whatever they are planning will be fantastic. Demolition starts August 4th.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
A sign outside of the entrance says the 2016 announcement will be on August 27th. And the graphics are of a birdseye view of a beach section...

insanecoastervids

Hyper Poster
I'm thinking that it will probably be one of those large kiddie water fortresses, because they don't have one of those yet, and they did say that the new expansion would be for family fun. So that is what I think they will build.

Jarrett

Carowinds just posted this on YouTube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=240EPnctsvM[/youtube]
That guy in the video is Mike Fehnel, the park's GM. I've met him and I can safely say he's just as enthusiastic and goofy about the park in real life as he is in the video. :p

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you won't find seagull noises or giant shipping hooks in Soak City. Carolina Harbor for sure on this one in my opinion. Now the question is, Water they doing? Personally I would expect to see a new slide complex or two (kracken racer?), upgrades to the lazy river, a new facade building like we got at KI, a new entrance to the park connected to the water park (makes sense if they're pulling the plug on Thunder Road with it being between the water park and parking lot), some repaints and rethemes focused on making the water park something thought out and not another cookie cutter Cedar Fair park, and maybe upgrades to shops and restaurants. I don't want to see them pull another Kings Island Soak City and add in a second wave pool but I wouldn't put it past them.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Well, the waterpark is still called Boomerang Bay(according to the website), so maybe they're changing the name to Soak City?

As for slides, I think a Capsule Slide complex ala Paradise Plunge at KD. Maybe something more like Riptide Bay at SFGAm, with 2 slides with a helix, and 2 that are straight down.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
^ The name is almost confirmed to be Carolina Harbor. 2016 looks like it's actually shaping up to be another big year for Carowinds, far bigger than what we've seen around the Cedar Fair chain recently. To go along with the Carolina Harbor theme, I'd like to see Carowinds have more seafood offerings in the water park instead of the typical amusement park fare. I'm a bit more excited to see the existing water park improved than receiving new slides.