What's new

Thriller ''schwarzkopf coaster'' will be scrapped

Oliver.D

Roller Poster
Some very sad news today:

Yesterday, the goverment of the Mexican State Aguascalientes (the former owner of Tsunami, (Thriller, Texas Tornado, Zonga) published in an official document that after 3 years of failed attempts to sell the coaster, all the pieces and trains will be scrapped.

Here is the document. It's in spanish in this link (Page 4):

http://eservicios2.aguascalientes.gob.mx/periodicooficial/web/viewer.html?file=..%2FArchivos%2F3740.pdf&fbclid=IwAR2GY_vozGTIGEKGsiFhMxJHh-FJvX_hTny-di939oVHMA2hp4-QWXosQrM#page=1

I’m sure the coaster would not meet today's standards but as a last attempt to maybe help save it, please spread the word so that it might live another day or so it can end up in a museum!

Attachments

• 72527793_2527358757509340_7873975110103728128_n.jpg
    72527793_2527358757509340_7873975110103728128_n.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

SimonProD

Mega Poster
Skyline Park (Bavaria) tried to "bring it home" a few years ago but cancelled that project as the coaster was way too run down plus nearly all documentation was missing - it got just too expensive for them even as it was roumored on German forums that they had already planned to get new trains and had contacted Maurer-Söhne to undo the changes that were made to the track back when it went to the USA.

So all thats left now are the great memories when I rode it here in Germany on the funfairs - all the times I greyed out in the compression between loops one and two ???

This was filmed in my hometown Hamburg in 1997 with pro 16mm equipment - forward to 09:30 for a POV:

Thriller - Hamburger DOM

adrenaline1996

Mega Poster
I spoke to a Spanish friend and whilst the document says the ride will be ‘disposed of’ and ‘disincorporated’, it doesn’t specifically say it will be scrapped, so there could be hope. ?

adrenaline1996

Mega Poster
What else would it mean? Even if it isn't worded that way, I think it's pretty clear on the fact that it's headed to the scrapyard...
I get your point, and it’s the most likely scenario, but it could just mean that the government is sending it elsewhere / disregarding their ownership.

Last edited:

adrenaline1996

Mega Poster
Just spoke to the person who runs the fan page for the Thriller / Tsunami coaster on Facebook. The coaster has not been scrapped yet, and it might not be its end:

No, no significaba eso. Fue únicamente desincorporada de los bienes públicos del Gobierno de Aguascalientes, pero no se ha vendido como chatarra. Para desincorporar la montaña rusa de los bienes públicos, tuvo que ser considerada como chatarra, sin embargo, no necesariamente es el destino final de la montaña rusa.

Google Translation:
No, it did not mean that. It was only disincorporated from the public assets of the Government of Aguascalientes, but it has not been sold as scrap metal. To disincorporate the roller coaster from public goods, it had to be considered as scrap metal, however it is not necessarily the final destination of the roller coaster.

As of 21st March 2020, the track is still on site, if you look at Google Maps.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Just spoke to the person who runs the fan page for the Thriller / Tsunami coaster on Facebook. The coaster has not been scrapped yet, and it might not be its end:

Google Translation:

As of 21st March 2020, the track is still on site, if you look at Google Maps.

Hm. Would be the best surprise but I'm not sure I see it happening. What location is "onsite"? Do keep us updated if anything changes.