What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastermaniac94

Mega Poster
Re: The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

^Swarm is being sand filled I think so no ..... I think the layout will be done before the end of the year, if they finish the inclined loop this week then they have only got the the corkscrew and inline twist which should be done in no time :D

jordypordy11

Mega Poster

update:http://www.lc12.co.uk/news/2011/over-banked-turn-work-starts
2nd november..

''Theming work is also due to soon start, with theming due to start being delivered at the end of November.''

9.JPG

5.JPG

3.JPG

Coastermaniac94

Mega Poster

Is that a inclined loop or overbank turn .... for some reason to me it looks like it could be both and the description on the update says it is :/

Edit: I found a old press release and it states that the ride has 4 inversions so does the inlined loop (or overbanked turn) count as a inversion cause all the other elements on the ride are inversions. I also noticed that if it is a inversion then the ride is just a constant upside down experience whitout any major elements which dont go upside or are not a inversion.

This B&M wingrider is looking sexy <3

Smithy

Strata Poster

Hmmm. I'm hoping the theming is quite imposing, think it's the fact that the blueprint of the ride is rather narrow in width it looks a bit, strange.

Ben

CF Legend

^^It's an Inclined Loop, basically what the Stand Ups used to have.

SOME people count them as inversions, but, um, four inversions would mean the inclined loop isn't counted. Dive Loop, Zero-G, Inclined Loop, Corkscrew thing, Inline Twist. That's five elements. Four inversions. One must be eliminated! Probably the one that doesn't go upside down. RCDB for example says it has five. Who really cares, it's not like saying it has five makes the Inclined Loop ANY different than saying it has four. It's still the exact same ride in reality.

I'm also MEGA excited for the Inclined Loop. I love them on the Stand Ups, I'm so excited for this one, it's so tight and unnnfff...

bob_3_

Giga Poster

I wonder why one of the brakes looks different from the other.

8.JPG

I assume they're both magnetic though, as there doesn't appear to be moving part there.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^You are aware that LIMs are for propulsion right? This is on the brake run. My guess is they're simply different strength magnets for when the train is travelling at different speeds. I can't imagine being that close together would make that much difference, but maybe it's to decrease the rate of braking less. Magnetic brakes slow the train proportional to the speed of the train, which kinda makes my idea a bit redundant, but my only guess would that they didn't want to keep slowing the train down at the rate of the stronger magnet, so used a smaller/weaker magnet second to slow the train down less.

That make sense?

Beans

Hyper Poster

I think this might help a cropped picture I took on 13th October, it is a trim brake by all appearences....

swarmandthorpe131026cro.jpg

This is the one before cropped from same day

swarmandthorpe131025cro.jpg

Inverse

Hyper Poster

Hixee said:
That make sense?

Yes it does. Looking at the photos above the first one is permanent and the second one has moving parts. So it's a just-in-case thing?

iblamefish

Roller Poster

Saw the inclined loop and said "ooooh! hello!" out loud. That's looking really fun! Always wanted to do an inclined loop :D

dominoes

Mega Poster

^What tower do you talk about in the second pic? I didn't realise there was a tower. Is it part of the inline twist?

the king

Mega Poster

Yes. At the beginning of the in-line twist there will be a partially destroyed tower, which will be a head and foot chopper. Also the base will house part of the queue line.

dominoes

Mega Poster

Yay! Thats awesome! I was getting worried the twist would be devoid of scenery...

spicy

Giga Poster
The Swarm - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

Beans said:
I think this might help a cropped picture I took on 13th October, it is a trim brake by all appearences....

Where is that in the layout?

Please say break run, that's quite a trim.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^Yeah, it's the brake run.

Lofty

CF Legend

spicy said:
Beans said:

No, it's not the break run, it's the other excessively long straight piece of track that you can see in the layout :roll:

Oh, that's a nice overbank too, ****, I mean inclined loop.

coasterdude_1

Mega Poster

-lofty- said:
spicy said:
Beans said:

No, it's not the break run, it's the other excessively long straight piece of track that you can see in the layout :roll:

Oh, that's a nice overbank too, ****, I mean inclined loop.

It is indeed the break run- B&M still use mechanical trims (not magnetic). They only use their magnetic brakes at the end of the ride (and even then, they just use them before a bank of normal mechanical brakes, which is why suddenly alot of B&Ms have obscenely long brake runs (or seemingly two)).

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

coasterdude_1 said:
It is indeed the break run- B&M still use mechanical trims (not magnetic). They only use their magnetic brakes at the end of the ride (and even then, they just use them before a bank of normal mechanical brakes, which is why suddenly alot of B&Ms have obscenely long brake runs (or seemingly two)).
Firstly, I think lofty was being sarcastic. I don't know what you're talking about in terms of the magentic/mechanical trims. B&M recently retro-fitted Silver Star with magnetic trims, so it doesn't seem unlikely that they'd install magnetic trims on a brand new ride. The reason why they use mechanical brakes after the magnetic ones is that a magnetic brake cannot fully stop a train. Look at any coaster with magnetic brakes on the final brake run, they'll all be followed by a set of mechanical brakes to stop the train.

The reason the brake runs are so long is that they are a double set of blocks. The brake runs are capable of having two trains sit on them at once. Even though it looks like one long piece of track, they can have multiple zones along that one section.

Status
Not open for further replies.