What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
Since they assessed the sound of the Mack Hyper Coaster at Land of Legends I'm 99% confident that it's a Mack. The non-inverting Immelmann's profiling is very Mack as well. Though there is a slight chance it could be a Gerstlauer, just looking at how compact this coaster is. Gerstlauer are probably the best at designing fun compact giants.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Do we know they went to Land of Legends in particular? As far as I know, they only said "Turkey". In order to keep my expectations reasonably low (and rather be pleasantly surprised), I wouldn't rule out that they went to Wonderland Eurasia to measure sound from Öksökö Öfkesi, the closest-to-the-UK example of a Beijing Shibaolai Amusement Equipment coaster.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Do we know they went to Land of Legends in particular? As far as I know, they only said "Turkey". In order to keep my expectations reasonably low (and rather be pleasantly surprised), I wouldn't rule out that they went to Wonderland Eurasia to measure sound from Öksökö Öfkesi, the closest-to-the-UK example of a Beijing Shibaolai Amusement Equipment coaster.
Or alternatively they could've gone to Istanbul to measure sound from Nefeskesen, LSM lift hill coaster from Intamin confirmed?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I wouldn't rule out that they went to Wonderland Eurasia to measure sound from Öksökö Öfkesi, the closest-to-the-UK example of a Beijing Shibaolai Amusement Equipment coaster.

Might be difficult I imagine, given it is absolutely silent given that the park is SBNO. Or you wouldn't be able to hear it over the 500,000 people the park claimed they get daily...

Either way, would be a nice scam idea by Thorpe ;)

Trax

Hyper Poster
Just to be clear: I also see Mack as the most likely manufacturer - they specifically mentioned that the noise will be comparable to a Mack Hyper Coaster. Why would they mention Mack if they don't intend it to be a Mack? Maybe they want to trick us and create more buzz by making us speculating. We are already 1/4th the way :)
But, as mentioned, I wouldn't rule out other Manufacturers at this point. Comparable just means comparable, and personally I don't think that Gerstlauer or Intamin are louder rides.
A 4 row infinity coaster will seat 16 people, which accounts for 960 persons/h with 1 minute dispatches. However, I have to admit that the stations lenght is pretty much perfect for a 5 car Mack train.

Doublethink

Roller Poster
I feel that they would go to Hansa Park if it was a Gerstlauer. It's closer than Turkey.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk
Acoustics wouldn't be great tbh as kärnans lift is indoors so the acoustics would be warped but then again they would have probably gone vertical lift with a gurst.

Interestingly kärnens lift is extremely quiet- not at all like their eurofighters

Trax

Hyper Poster
To be honest, most lifthills nowadays are pretty quiet. Apart from RMC, all major manufacturers feature noiseless anti rollback devices, the rest of the lift is not very noisy. The biggest cause of noise are of course screaming guests, but this is something the park can't do anything about.
Gerstlauer lifthills can be among the loudest, as their anti rollback is not an anti rollback, but breakfins which move out of the way as long as the train is moving forward. Depending on the trains speed, those can be quite noisy, Kärnans lifthill is a noisy one, but I have to admit that I have little to no idea how much noise is being added from the tower.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
I've had some time to reflect on this over the last couple of weeks.

This is definitely not a conventional hyper. I've begun to think along the lines of a scaled up Saw; A series of short, punchy elements in quick succession, only twice the size, and with a significantly reduced risk of a splitting headache afterwards. In that respect, it's looking like a solid ride in the Thorpe line-up. It's not looking to be a head and shoulders above the rest sort of flagship, but it'll be good for Thorpe, and a worthwhile addition to the line up. Pokemaniac drew parallels with Dive Machines, and that's not something I'd considered, but it's probably quite accurate. There's something about the layout that reminds me of the El Locos, but that's probably more the look of the support structure, and the weird two rail rendering in some of the images, rather than a layout thing.

I still don't think this is a good pick. It seems to exist for the purposes of taking the UK height record, and for boosting Nick Varney's ego, rather than for being the best ride it could be. If there's not enough space on the current site for a proper hyper, or they're not prepared to commit the budget to do it properly, they shouldn't build one there. I'd forgotten about all of the space behind Swarm, which looks to be a better site for something large. They could easily have put a solid 120ft beast on this site, the ride could very easily be better for it. This is no Helix, EGF, or RMC, that's for sure.

I'm going to say this one final time, as I'm sick of making the point, and I'm sure many people are sick of hearing me say it; Just once, I want something really good from Merlin. I don't expect it, I do want it. They've owned the UK parks since 2007, they'll have owned the parks for over 15 years by the time the next round of "major" investments are complete, and they've yet to do anything to trade blows with top tier rides elsewhere in the world. The best rides in their parks are still from the Tussauds era. I'm not looking for a new number one, just something that's battling for a spot in people's top 20s, and if it misses out, it's because those people have travelled far enough and widely enough to have ridden the absolute crème de la crème worldwide. Don't kid yourselves. Merlin have the budget. They just won't spend it on the parks. That concept video for an extended layout pretty much sums up my point. That clearly shows how they could have made the ride top tier, and instead chose to cut the ride short.

Honestly, if accurate, the layout in its current form looks like it's about Icon tier. That's fine, I really enjoy Icon, and that means this is in contention for one of the best rides in the UK, and it's probably going to be decent fun. Unfortunately, it's Thorpe; It's four hours drive and an overnight stay away, as opposed to two hours and a day trip, and given Merlin's love for pushing visitor number and Fastrack, I doubt it's regularly going to be under a 30 minute queue, either. That means it's probably a must do attraction when I'm at Thorpe, but it's not going to make Thorpe a destination park for me any time soon.

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
I'm very much in the camp that this ride will make it into some people's Top 20's. The elements like the outer banked airtime hill and the stall into the non-inverting immelmann are certainly unlike anything we've seen in the UK and I think they're going to knock our socks off. The elements and airtime on this ride will elevate it above other coasters in the UK.

Granted it is a shame that it isn't longer, Thorpe are most probably limited by a pandemic era budget but still need to make a big splash to pull more of their guests back.

Last edited:

spicy

Giga Poster
This is the frustrating thing, it wouldn’t take much at all to push this into world class category, just as that video of the extended layout shows.

But Merlin are Merlin..

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Or alternatively they could've gone to Istanbul to measure sound from Nefeskesen, LSM lift hill coaster from Intamin confirmed?
They said a similar ride, of 'similar height...' In Turkey.

(Edited to add, I know you're both joking, but just wanted to clarify why we're fairly certain it was LoL)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The Q&A for the afternoon one happens at the end of that video.
Thanks, I didn't realise that to be fair (I watched live, so didn't want to watch again.)

The presentations weren't identical :/ However, I suppose they were similar enough that it would be a waste of time posting both, given the purpose of these consultations is to inform and consult with locals, and not enthusiasts.

Matt N

CF Legend
I know that this seems like a random thing to ask, but; is there a possibility that Exodus may actually end up being the final ride name?

I only ask because I know there's a precedent for Thorpe doing this (Stealth started out as "Project Stealth"), and I personally quite like Exodus as a ride name; it has a real ring to it!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I know that this seems like a random thing to ask, but; is there a possibility that Exodus may actually end up being the final ride name?

I only ask because I know there's a precedent for Thorpe doing this (Stealth started out as "Project Stealth"), and I personally quite like Exodus as a ride name; it has a real ring to it!
Of course there's a possibility... There's a possibility that I will win the lottery and then immediately get hit by a bus... There's always a possibility.

I do agree though that Exodus would make a cool name for the coaster. Although it all depends on what kind of theme they are gonna go for I suppose.