What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Hmm, shorter than I realised. Still looks incredible though. If only they put some bunny hops and a couple of turn-arounds to bleed off the speed at the end.

Though, this is a no-limits concept with game physics made from concept art, so who knows.

jasone

Roller Poster
Hey everyone,

Haven't posted much at all, if not ever... I don't remember. But been following the forums a long time.

Anyway, my initial reaction was underwhelmed, but as I started to really digest the layout I am more and more excited. I do agree its short, and I think thats my one gripe, but having a look at the elements, this really could be a short burst of insane intensity i think, and for a member of the GP its shorter length might mean it's more re-rideable.

While it only really has one straight up bunny hill at the end, to me it looks like it could be packed with pretty strong airtime moments in its short length:
- First drop
- Turn around which is like a non inverting immelman almost, or like a more vertical version of the turn around on Zadra
- Outer bank turn around into inversion
- Outer bank airtime hill after splash down
- Bunny hill

Also within that, theres what seems like a dive loop that inverts early on entry and almost looks like a stall, delivering some hangtime.

While it isn't going to win any accolades for the amount of airtime, i think those elements have the ability to be pretty insane one after the other, particularly if it has the same pacing Hurricane at Suzhou Amusement Land Forest Park seems to have.

Again i do wish it was longer. But to be honest, if its intense enough, i don't think that will bother me when i come to ride it, as long as what it delivers in its short length is really top quality. Sure, it isn't a straight up out & back hyper etc, but to me this is far more unique than any hyper i've seen built recently, and I'm here for it.

Projektion

Mega Poster
Personally I'm excited for it. Depending on how nutty the pacing is on it, I could probably see it up on par with Zadra in my ranking.

Doublethink

Roller Poster
It's certainly unique. Unfortunately, we've already figured out many of the things that make coasters great. This coaster doesn't do many of them in it's relatively short layout. Unique is not the same as good. The gimmicks are basically "it's taller", and "it's weird". I'll take "smaller, but really good" over both of those, but I honestly don't expect we'll see a solid conventional ride from Merlin in my lifetime.

If they were to have announced that they were building something more like one of the other Mack hyper coasters, then I'd probably have been legitimately excited.
I'm sorry but what? This doesn't have many elements but a lot of them on here are shared with world class modern coasters like Expedition gForce, Kärnan, Kondaa, pantheon and zadra

jasone

Roller Poster
The first one has arrived!

Is it just me reading the plans/images wrong, or is this POV quite off?

I read the plans as actually way crazier? First turn around after the drop banks out much snappier and at the peak of the crest? The next turn around is an outerbank pretty much all the way, till it flips out into an inversion, and the last inversion is a stalled dive loop? Then theres an outerbank airtime hill that doesn't invert before the final turn around?

Tom P

Roller Poster
I don't really think the length will be such a problem - yes the prime ride time will be short, but as others have remarked, there are many rides that can be considered short yet are worldclass. Personally I've ridden Zadra and Lech more than any other coaster and they never felt short to me, mostly because they pack such a punch and are quite intense. Project Exodus definitely seems to be that case based on the first concepts, but of course only time will tell and we will find out when (and if) it opens

Doublethink

Roller Poster
I just can’t help but think this might even have spinning trains - then it would be complete gimmick overload!
Potentially world class gimick overload if RTH is anything to go by 200+ft drop on a spinning coaster would be bonkers. If it is a Mack hopefully they at least put a spinning car on the back like Icon as even if it's upcharge that would be very worthwhile

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
As someone who isn't violent airtime focused and enjoys swoopy fast bits I'm happy with what I've seen so far (although I've not looked at it in great detail), especially after riding Kondaa and Ride to Happiness that both have quirky, new and unusual layouts. Steel curtain is also good fun too.

Although a lot of people want a classic out and back hyper (which we could definitely do with) I don't think the manufacturers are so keen on these types of layouts anymore. They're doing new jazzy, weird things now, especially to compete with RMC so the interesting layout isn't a surprise to me.

Only gripe so far is the length but nevermind. The rest looks cool. Maybe it will be altered slightly as time goes on.

Sandman

Giga Poster
It's an interesting layout. Plenty to be excited about.

For the height it is short. Not actually as compact as I'd imagined, seems like all of the elements are incredibly large and drawn out. That outer banked turn thing looks delicious. In fact, most elements look like they're going to be fantastic. I'm hoping for some decent intensity, which I've not really got in the UK since Stealth.

If I was personally going to amend something, it would be switching out the first loop for an airtime hill. I reckon this won't happen because if they do want to go for the tallest inversion then that's where it's going to be. However, in Thorpe Park alone, most of their big coasters lead with an inversion after the first big drop. An airtime hill (imo) would be more impactful. Pure ejector pls (a la, Helix, Hyperion). Would also make the other inversions more notable.

For me, this should quite easily be up there as the top UK coaster. I mean, you're essentially competing with yourself if you're Merlin. I think the theme could very well elevate this even more if done well.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Is it just me reading the plans/images wrong, or is this POV quite off?

I read the plans as actually way crazier? First turn around after the drop banks out much snappier and at the peak of the crest? The next turn around is an outerbank pretty much all the way, till it flips out into an inversion, and the last inversion is a stalled dive loop? Then theres an outerbank airtime hill that doesn't invert before the final turn around?
Yeah - this recreation isn't quite accurate. The first drop looks to turn left instead of right, the first 'immelman' flattens out way earlier at the top, the track goes into the outerbanked hill, not overbanked, and does the inversion coming out, the track then goes into a large dive loop, not another immelman, and then flattens out and the bottom for the 'splash zone' then does another outerbanked airtime hill back into the breakrun (with no more inversions).

Could be just the fact that it wasn't very accurate due to the creator maybe wanting to rush it and be the first one to recreate it however we should see more accurate ones very soon.

Gazza

Giga Poster
It looks interesting but it needed a couple of conventional airtime hills and a helix to flesh it out IMO.
I get thunder dolphin vibes with the lack of airtime hills.

Coasterwaffle

Roller Poster
Is the layout fully set in stone yet? I am not saying that I don't like the layout or anything, I think it looks very great. But it wouldn't be the first time that a 'layout' was proposed, but it is actually more to show what space the layout will take up and the height. A very good example are the first 'concepts' of Kondaa, which looks nowhere close to the actual ride, but does have similar heigt and takes up a similar amount of space.
1639146791001.png1639146861831.png

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
How is this layout half assed? It is one of the most unique and creative hyper layouts ever, and other than the record breaking inversion which would still be great, it is not gimmicky at all.
i think the trouble with the layout is that it is one huge inversion after another huge element… the sense of speed is going to be killed by inverting too much and takes the whole point away from what a hyper is. If they had a couple low to the ground filler elements in between, it would be so much better.

Pistonjuice

Roller Poster
Just wondering if that outer banked turn before the lift hill would be enough to get a spinning Mack car rotating just before the lift hill...if so going up that at a weird orientation might be fun?

catsounds

Mega Poster
If I was personally going to amend something, it would be switching out the first loop for an airtime hill. I reckon this won't happen because if they do want to go for the tallest inversion then that's where it's going to be. However, in Thorpe Park alone, most of their big coasters lead with an inversion after the first big drop. An airtime hill (imo) would be more impactful. Pure ejector pls (a la, Helix, Hyperion). Would also make the other inversions more notable.
If you look closely it only inverts on the way up and it turns into an airtime hill at the top

1639147851977.png1639147915038.png

looks amazing