What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Looks slow.
I think this is the earliest thing joke has been made before a ride is set to open - congrats!

We know for a fact it's a Mack.
I think there's confusion about what a "fact" is here.
To my knowledge, there has been no confirmation anywhere that this is a Mack.

With everything shown and said, it looks likely, yes, but we do not know for a fact this is a Mack,

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
The most disappointing thing so far is that we haven't heard what @Matt N and @Nicky Borrill think about the layout yet - they've dominated this thread for days in the run up to the site going live and now all is quiet 😆
I love it… I’m a little disappointed with the length, but hopeful that will mean excellent pacing and throughput. Surprised they haven’t used more of the land to the south east… Not even gone as far as loggers by the looks of it. Though I’m sure they have their reasons and that suggests a B&M was always out of the question (as I suspected.)

The outerbank looks to be a highlight, as does the dive… I can see lots of potential airtime moments, so I’m not worried there. And unless we have trims all over, the speed that this thing will have from that height should mean some solid ejector…

Honestly, I’m buzzing… It may not make many top tens, but it looks like it could be a contender for UK numero uno!

Track looks Mack… Supports look Mack… Sound comparison most likely Mack… So it’s definitely an RMC T-Rex!!!

spicy

Giga Poster
Maybe the Merlin concept artist got the track types mixed up and this is the B&M hyper after all and Chessington get a launched Mack.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I think I'm whelmed. Not overwhelmed or underwhelmed just whelmed. Looks pretty cool with some out there elements and it's certainly tall, I'm sure it will be a solid ride. But it's short and I don't really think it fills the Airtime criteria I personally was hoping for.

So i am very whelmed.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Also want to expand on that drop… It ‘should’ absolutely throw you from your seat in the back row… and when the twist hits, I imagine it feeling a little like Hyperions turnaround… And I’m soooo for that!!!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm sorry I just can't understand why people are underwhelmed when this will undoubtedly be the UK's best coaster...

A ****ing 180° TWISTED FIRST DROP, which will probably be one of the best drops in the world. The following element is more of a steep turnaround rather than an Immelmann as it completely flattens out at the top and then drops down, which will provide strong ejector in the back row. Then the insane outerbank that rolls into an inversion, a stall dive loop, another outerbank and an ejector hill into the brakes... How is that not absolutely incredible? This is the first coaster I think Merlin has ever built that is on parity with the world's elite coasters tbh. Genuinely "world-class"!

Apparently lenny/Stephan Alt from Mack has been talking about an outerbank into an inversion for years, so this is undoubtedly going to be a coked-up creation of his made by Mack.

Last edited:

Doublethink

Roller Poster
Ooh only just spotted the outer banked hill on this. Looks very similar to what they have on pantheon but with an inversion in the twist out- talk of -2g on the pantheon one

Niles

Giga Poster
I am over the moon for this thing, I cannot wait to hopefully see this as I drive up the M3
1639138036374.png
Yea it is short and they could have made it longer but this is merlin, I never would have thought they would do something this nuts, considering the tallest coaster Merlin had put into their parks was Oblivion the black hole ( I think ) I was not expecting this. The elements all look amazing and for the UK I think it will be the new No1 easy, while short my UK top 3 are Nemesis, Stealth and Wicker man, I would say these are all rides with short ride times but its there layouts that make them. TTD, Skyrush, Stormrunner are some of my faves that feel short but they are world class, i love their power and I am pretty sure I will love this.

For the GP it will break records and draw them in, the elements look like nothing else in the UK, if they are strong & strange it might be to much for the GP so its length might be perfect for them, also I hope they give it a worthy theme, Wicker man is an ok coaster but the theme makes it great. I think the sheer height cannot be understated, while Stealth is tall you are up there for a second, if your a GP who has never been up north then this lift will feel giant, one other thing is the view will be amazing from the top and I think it will be a nice coaster to watch especially if they do a water effect.

I'm happy my wish to Santa came true 😅 and hope it comes to fruition, hopefully those who are not so sure will love it after riding it.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Eh.

Now that I'm looking at the images on a bigger screen, the layout looks like it's got a bit more potential than it appeared to at first glance on my phone. It's certainly looking like it's got the potential to be the best ride that's been installed at a UK Merlin park since they took over from Tussauds. That's still damning with faint praise, though. It's still typically Merlin; A half-assed, compromised, gimmicky layout, in place of something that could have been absolutely spectacular.

There's a reason I wasn't psyched up for this announcement. It's better than I expected it to be, but as usual, it looks like the UK is once again getting lumbered with the crippled version of a ride, whilst the good ones get built elsewhere. I'll ride it, I'll probably have fun doing so, certainly more so that whatever monstrosity they're building at Chessington, but this isn't going to be a reason to keep going back to Thorpe on a regular basis in years to come. If I have to travel the distance, and stay overnight, I'd probably rather go abroad instead. That's where you find the versions that aren't half-assed, compromised gimmicks.

As for the whole "at least we're getting something" comments that keep getting dragged out whenever Merlin cut corners, this is the reason we don't get nice things. Once Merlin build the poor version of something, we're never getting a good one. No good multi-loopers, no solid family gems, no world class woodies. Box ticked, move on. They can absolutely do better, and we should be getting better.

Luca B

Mega Poster
Eh.

Now that I'm looking at the images on a bigger screen, the layout looks like it's got a bit more potential than it appeared to at first glance on my phone. It's certainly looking like it's got the potential to be the best ride that's been installed at a UK Merlin park since they took over from Tussauds. That's still damning with faint praise, though. It's still typically Merlin; A half-assed, compromised, gimmicky layout, in place of something that could have been absolutely spectacular.

There's a reason I wasn't psyched up for this announcement. It's better than I expected it to be, but as usual, it looks like the UK is once again getting lumbered with the crippled version of a ride, whilst the good ones get built elsewhere. I'll ride it, I'll probably have fun doing so, certainly more so that whatever monstrosity they're building at Chessington, but this isn't going to be a reason to keep going back to Thorpe on a regular basis in years to come. If I have to travel the distance, and stay overnight, I'd probably rather go abroad instead. That's where you find the versions that aren't half-assed, compromised gimmicks.

As for the whole "at least we're getting something" comments that keep getting dragged out whenever Merlin cut corners, this is the reason we don't get nice things. Once Merlin build the poor version of something, we're never getting a good one. No good multi-loopers, no solid family gems, no world class woodies. Box ticked, move on. They can absolutely do better, and we should be getting better.
How is this layout half assed? It is one of the most unique and creative hyper layouts ever, and other than the record breaking inversion which would still be great, it is not gimmicky at all.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I just wish it had some bunny hops. Is it too much to ask for some nice bunny hops on a UK coaster? 😭

Even Ride to Happiness had more than this.

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
UK beating? Yes, but that's a low bar isn't it.

World class? Not so sure. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but... come on.

Too early for me to be 100% excited or heartbroken. I'm gonna stick with intrigued/cautiously optimistic until we get something more concrete. Maybe even until I've ridden it.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
How is this layout half assed? It is one of the most unique and creative hyper layouts ever, and other than the record breaking inversion which would still be great, it is not gimmicky at all.
It's certainly unique. Unfortunately, we've already figured out many of the things that make coasters great. This coaster doesn't do many of them in it's relatively short layout. Unique is not the same as good. The gimmicks are basically "it's taller", and "it's weird". I'll take "smaller, but really good" over both of those, but I honestly don't expect we'll see a solid conventional ride from Merlin in my lifetime.

If they were to have announced that they were building something more like one of the other Mack hyper coasters, then I'd probably have been legitimately excited.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Things I cannot wait for:

- Riding that drop in the back row 😍
- Seeing this dominate the (already great) skyline of Thorpe 😍
- THAT OUTWARD BANKED INSANITY THING 😍

Very pleased that Thorpe are getting something like this for a new coaster.

Is it exactly what I wanted? No. But I don't go round expecting parks to build the exact coaster, with the exact manufacturer and exact specs that are lodged in my brain.

I feel enthusiasts are only setting themselves up for permanent disappointment when they do this. As an enthusiast, I prefer to focus on the positives. The only negatives I want are negative Gs!

It's interesting how many UK enthusiasts seem to hold Merlin parks to such an impossible standard. It's like no matter what Merlin do, some enthusiasts will never be happy. Yet we don't hold this standard to other parks.

For example, if Paultons were getting a launched B+M family wing coaster, the decision would be praised as The Best Thing Ever For The Best Family Park Ever!

If Phantasialand, Efteling, Plopsa, Europa, Djurs, Hansa announced this new hyper coaster...would it be met with such criticism? If Drayton Manor announced this coaster, would the reaction be different?