What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Matt N

CF Legend
It could of course be for estate management, but who’s to say that it couldn’t be for a new coaster? As much as the evidence for a coaster may seem somewhat spurious at present, there is some potential evidence, however far-fetched it might look to some, and I don’t see any evidence strongly against it being a new coaster either, from what I can tell.

I’m not saying that a new coaster is 100% confirmed, by any means, but from my point of view, I’m personally pretty confident that this is for a new coaster! And besides; even if I’m wrong and it isn’t a new coaster, isn’t it fun to speculate?

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to double post, but as @CrashCoaster posted in the Small News from the Theme Park Industry thread, Theme Park Predictions had a “very reliable source” tell them something very interesting to do with Thorpe Park’s next project:
If you don’t want to watch the video, he’s basically suggesting that Merlin has signed some form of multi buy deal with B&M (with Chessington’s new coaster and various upcoming Chinese Legolands having one or more B&Ms within them, I don’t think this is the most obscene theory by any means), and this will result in Thorpe’s next coaster being a B&M Hyper Coaster on the Loggers spot (although quite possibly stretching out of the Loggers area) that will beat the Big One’s UK height record and possibly Stealth’s UK speed record as well. He says that signs of construction will begin next year and that the ride will open in 2023.

Do of course take this with a pinch of salt, but he says that his source is reliable, and if this does come true, I think it could be very exciting! I’ll admit I’m slightly doubtful about the prospect of a 2023 opening, as I’m unsure whether Thorpe would want to infringe on Chessington’s project, and I also feel as though we would have seen more in the way of planning permission by now given the scale of such a project, but I don’t think the ride type and nature of ride suggested seems at all inconceivable, personally, and I think such a ride would be a phenomenal fit at Thorpe!

On an unrelated note, he also says that Towers’ next coaster will be some form of out and back B&M stretching between Dark Forest and Forbidden Valley (utilising the valley) that will open in 2024 “barring any setbacks”. His source says that The Blade will be removed in order to facilitate the construction of some sort of turnaround element for the new coaster, therefore from what the video shows, I think I can ascertain that the station would be going somewhere in Dark Forest, around where Darkest Depths is located at Scarefest. A ride type was not indicated by the source, but the content creator himself suggests either a mini Hyper Coaster or multi-launch Surf Coaster.

As I say, do take this with a pinch of salt, but it’s certainly an interesting rumour, if nothing else!

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Sorry to double post, but as @CrashCoaster posted in the Small News from the Theme Park Industry thread, Theme Park Predictions had a “very reliable source” tell them something very interesting to do with Thorpe Park’s next project:
If you don’t want to watch the video, he’s basically suggesting that Merlin has signed some form of multi buy deal with B&M (with Chessington’s new coaster and various upcoming Chinese Legolands having one or more B&Ms within them, I don’t think this is the most obscene theory by any means), and this will result in Thorpe’s next coaster being a B&M Hyper Coaster on the Loggers spot (although quite possibly stretching out of the Loggers area) that will beat the Big One’s UK height record and possibly Stealth’s UK speed record as well. He says that signs of construction will begin next year and that the ride will open in 2023.

Do of course take this with a pinch of salt, but he says that his source is reliable, and if this does come true, I think it could be very exciting! I’ll admit I’m slightly doubtful about the prospect of a 2023 opening, as I’m unsure whether Thorpe would want to infringe on Chessington’s project, and I also feel as though we would have seen more in the way of planning permission by now given the scale of such a project, but I don’t think the ride type and nature of ride suggested seems at all inconceivable, personally, and I think such a ride would be a phenomenal fit at Thorpe!

On an unrelated note, he also says that Towers’ next coaster will be some form of out and back B&M stretching between Dark Forest and Forbidden Valley (utilising the valley) that will open in 2024 “barring any setbacks”. His source says that The Blade will be removed in order to facilitate the construction of some sort of turnaround element for the new coaster, therefore from what the video shows, I think I can ascertain that the station would be going somewhere in Dark Forest, around where Darkest Depths is located at Scarefest. A ride type was not indicated by the source, but the content creator himself suggests either a mini Hyper Coaster or multi-launch Surf Coaster.

As I say, do take this with a pinch of salt, but it’s certainly an interesting rumour, if nothing else!
I can't say this enough times can I... An AT valley coaster is not happening...

If it happens in the next 10 years... I'll buy you a Merlin Annual Pass ;) (Discovery mind!!!)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
@Matt N

Have a read of this... https://www.themeparktourist.com/fe...mous-cross-valley-wooden-roller-coaster-desig

I was working at the park back in those days, in guest services... Back then guest services was further up Towers Street, and all of the other buildings, including where Box Office is now, were offices, that were linked to our back office. So as you can imagine, I know full well the uproar those plans caused last time, and I very much doubt anything has changed since.

Of course I could be wrong, could end up buying you that discovery pass (and I will honour my bet) but I'm confident enough, from my own personal experience and knowledge (for once!) to class it as a pretty safe bet!

Matt N

CF Legend
Is their reliable source perhaps this thread and us goons all listing what we want them to get?
For what it’s worth, this person has apparently been correct in the past when they’ve cited a “reliable source”. Of course, take this with a pinch of salt, but I just thought I’d point that out.
I can't say this enough times can I... An AT valley coaster is not happening...

If it happens in the next 10 years... I'll buy you a Merlin Annual Pass ;) (Discovery mind!!!)
@Matt N

Have a read of this... https://www.themeparktourist.com/fe...mous-cross-valley-wooden-roller-coaster-desig

I was working at the park back in those days, in guest services... Back then guest services was further up Towers Street, and all of the other buildings, including where Box Office is now, were offices, that were linked to our back office. So as you can imagine, I know full well the uproar those plans caused last time, and I very much doubt anything has changed since.

Of course I could be wrong, could end up buying you that discovery pass (and I will honour my bet) but I'm confident enough, from my own personal experience and knowledge (for once!) to class it as a pretty safe bet!
I’ll admit it doesn’t seem like the easiest option that springs to mind, and do correct me if I’m wrong here, but weren’t the only reasons the cross valley coaster was scrapped noise and the amount of tree clearance required?

They could get around both of those issues if they used a steel B&M coaster as opposed to a wooden coaster; B&Ms can be made fairly quiet if sand is put in the track, while wooden coasters make a fair old racket (having stood in Wicker Man’s area and listened to the sound it makes, especially when the lift hill’s going, I can only imagine how noisy a 200ft woodie would have been), and B&Ms also have far, far less supports than woodies, thus requiring less tree clearance.

For what it’s worth, I think the park was also trying to go at least some way into the valley for SW8 prior to the Smiler incident based on an environmental survey done: https://www.towerstimes.co.uk/blog/2015/04/23/first-clues-to-secret-weapon-8-revealed/

Come to think of it, I think they even mentioned “Cross Valley Coaster” in the 2010-2019 LTDP, for what it’s worth. So however bad the backlash might have been, they clearly think it’s at least somewhat feasible.

In fairness, I guess you did work there, though, and you did hear the impact first hand, so do correct me if I’m wrong there. I certainly don’t see it as the easiest or most obvious option (I can certainly think of other areas I could see them going to first), but I certainly don’t think it’s inconceivable by any means! Out of interest, were there literally locals coming into the Resort Box Office complaining, or are you talking about Towers’ higher-ups dealing with the backlash?

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
For what it’s worth, this person has apparently been correct in the past when they’ve cited a “reliable source”. Of course, take this with a pinch of salt, but I just thought I’d point that out.

I’ll admit it doesn’t seem like the easiest option that springs to mind, and do correct me if I’m wrong here, but weren’t the only reasons the cross valley coaster was scrapped noise and the amount of tree clearance required?

They could get around both of those issues if they used a steel B&M coaster as opposed to a wooden coaster; B&Ms can be made fairly quiet if sand is put in the track, while wooden coasters make a fair old racket (having stood in Wicker Man’s area and listened to the sound it makes, especially when the lift hill’s going, I can only imagine how noisy a 200ft woodie would have been), and B&Ms also have far, far less supports than woodies, thus requiring less tree clearance.

For what it’s worth, I think the park was also trying to go at least some way into the valley for SW8 prior to the Smiler incident based on an environmental survey done: https://www.towerstimes.co.uk/blog/2015/04/23/first-clues-to-secret-weapon-8-revealed/

Come to think of it, I think they even mentioned “Cross Valley Coaster” in the 2010-2019 LTDP, for what it’s worth. So however bad the backlash might have been, they clearly think it’s at least somewhat feasible.

In fairness, I guess you did work there, though, and you did hear the impact first hand, so do correct me if I’m wrong there. I certainly don’t see it as the easiest or most obvious option (I can certainly think of other areas I could see them going to first), but I certainly don’t think it’s inconceivable by any means! Out of interest, were there literally locals coming into the Resort Box Office complaining, or are you talking about Towers’ higher-ups dealing with the backlash?
Not coming in... writing in, phoning in, and emailing in...

The main reason I think it was scrapped was an overwhelming, and I do mean overwhelming, public backlash in general! The general consensus amongst the GP is that the valley is part of the gardens, and thus historical and should not be touched... Then you have those who are customers and like to walk through the 'tranquil valley,' And finally of course, those that wanted to preserve trees... because they're trees.

I seem to remember there was also concern about how the sound would echo down the valley towards the Churnet valley, an area of natural beauty, well used by hikers etc.

Of course, we'll never know for sure the reason it was scrapped... but I do know that WAS the response, and shortly after it WAS scrapped.

P.s It was 'guest services' not box office back then... All we did was handle complaints, customer enquiries, customer requests, locker hire, wheelchair hire and had to present those annoying school presentations... We also managed and staffed all of the 'information booths' around the park (remember those?) I hated being put on them, as they were all wasp infested!!! We didn't have to sell things, like fast track, as box office does now. :)

Last edited:

rob666

Hyper Poster
Old git here...the valley is a part of the gardens...the fence only went in during the eighties.
You used to be able to walk another mile down the valley from the fountain, right past King Ina's rocks, all part of the park estate, and on the old park maps.
We got lost looking for the rocks when the Corkscrew opened, wandered for over an hour in the gardens beyond the bottom fountain, about half of the gardens are now fenced off, and can only be accessed via the river footpath.
The gardens are a disgrace now compared to forty years ago.
Edit...sorry off topic, thought we were over at the Towers!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Heh, you had me until the bit about the cross-valley coaster at Alton. A more telltale sign that a rumour is completely made up is hard to find in this hobby.

Matt N

CF Legend
Heh, you had me until the bit about the cross-valley coaster at Alton. A more telltale sign that a rumour is completely made up is hard to find in this hobby.
This YouTuber has apparently been reliable in the past, for what it’s worth.

Bentleya

Mega Poster
I think when the content creator has to put as follows

** it will open in a set year unless it’s delayed or the project is cancelled - says something about the prediction

I have no doubt Merlin have struck a multi unit deal with a manufacturer and I would love to see both the Thorpe and Alton projects come off - but I’ll believe it when construction starts!

I feel Alton would be better off removing Rita and having a good family launch coaster built with a decent length and no gimmicks before any crazy cross valley project was to happen

I’d be happy to see Nemesis get retracked and some new trains though!

Sandman

Giga Poster
This YouTuber has apparently been reliable in the past, for what it’s worth.

As the saying goes, a stopped clock is right twice a day.

There's hundreds of videos on this guy's YT channel so at some point, he's going to get something right.
I bet he's got absolutely no sources though. Just making things up and seeing what sticks by the looks of it (the whole YT channel seems to be built on 'predictions' which says a lot).

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think when the content creator has to put as follows

** it will open in a set year unless it’s delayed or the project is cancelled - says something about the prediction
"The project will open in 2024 unless it's delayed or cancelled or pushed forward a year or two. It will be a coaster unless the planning permission is denied or they choose to invest in something else. It will be a B&M unless the final contract is signed with another manufacturer. It will cross the valley, unless they find another place to build it. It will have three inversions, or fewer than that or more than that, or possibly none. It will be painted a colour and the name will consist of one or more words."

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I call BS.
So first he mentions a Nemesis retrack, now sure Hulk got a retrack, but Nemesis is not at the end of its service life to my knowledge, The Hulk was an exception due to heavy trains, constant cycling, and year round operations. You gotta remember, Merlin really wouldn't do a retrack unless it was completely necessary. Just look to the horrible state they left their Intamin pre-fab for years..

Another thing, in the unstable times we live in, would Merlin really sign a expensive and costly B&M mega deal? A B&M hyper would break the bank, Thorpe hasn't received anything costly since 2016, why start now? A new coaster, fair enough. But a B&M Hyper? In our dreams.

Alton probably will get a new coaster, but something over the valley sounds very expensive, and even if it is planned, they're gonna have to get approval first.. Good luck with that.

I sound very pessimistic and negative, but i do believe some of this is wishful thinking. We will see another coaster eventually, but a towering B&M hyper at Thorpe is just.. Merlin would have to incredibly jacked up on LSD to spend millions upon millions on a B&M mega deal in the middle of a pandemic..

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I call BS.
So first he mentions a Nemesis retrack, now sure Hulk got a retrack, but Nemesis is not at the end of its service life to my knowledge, The Hulk was an exception due to heavy trains, constant cycling, and year round operations. You gotta remember, Merlin really wouldn't do a retrack unless it was completely necessary. Just look to the horrible state they left their Intamin pre-fab for years..

Another thing, in the unstable times we live in, would Merlin really sign a expensive and costly B&M mega deal? A B&M hyper would break the bank, Thorpe hasn't received anything costly since 2016, why start now? A new coaster, fair enough. But a B&M Hyper? In our dreams.

Alton probably will get a new coaster, but something over the valley sounds very expensive, and even if it is planned, they're gonna have to get approval first.. Good luck with that.

I sound very pessimistic and negative, but i do believe some of this is wishful thinking. We will see another coaster eventually, but a towering B&M hyper at Thorpe is just.. Merlin would have to incredibly jacked up on LSD to spend millions upon millions on a B&M mega deal in the middle of a pandemic..
Wholeheartedly agree. The list looks waaayyy to much like an enthusiast wish-list rather than a sensible investment. Given what we know about Merlin, they don't seem the type to suddenly splurge on multiple big coasters from the most expensive manufacturer out there. They might collaborate on a pilot model for a new coaster type, but building Hypers at Thorpe and Alton does not seem like an investment they'd make at the same time.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
I call BS.

I think some of this argument is slightly flawed;

The pit nemesis is built into is totally bespoke. Nemesis is also a truly iconic coaster. It makes total sense to retrack nemesis - and is probably significantly cheaper than going through the process of re-surveying the site and coming up with new attractions to squeeze into what is quite frankly impossible terrain. So yeah, I believe retracking is a very realistic possibility, just maybe not as soon as is implied. If garda's cruddy corkscrew can get a retrack, something like Nemesis definitely could.

Mako & Shambhala cost in the region of 15-20 million euros &/or dollars. The higher end of this is roughly the same price as the swarm.

Because of merlin's resort portfolio and the near-confirmation of the B&M shuttle coaster coming to Chessington, I really wouldn't think some sort of deal out of the picture.

I do agree regarding the cross-valley coaster, as well as the points about the pandemic. Merlin have become partial cheapskates since DBGT, but installations like Wickerman leave a glimmer of hope. I am also of the opinion that a hyper may not be the best fit for thorpe, but wouldn't be surprised if Merlin did some kind of bulk-buy deal with B&M on the back of the wing coaster. Although, the more I type, the more I realise that it feels like we're speculating over a bet-365 accumulator..

Last edited: