What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm really not against this, whatsoever? I think it delivers what the aim of it [potentially] is - high, fast and powerful, with a slight out of control feeling? If you look at the elements and sheer scale and forces it will deliver, there's nothing really in the UK that you can compare to it.

Looking forward to how it pans out.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I mean yeah, all of the elements look exciting, and it looks to deliver a lot of airtime in them, but it’ll never be a world class attraction. Would so many people have SteVe as their top coaster if it ended after the 4th element? Or if Taron/Helix finished before their second launches?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I mean yeah, all of the elements look exciting, and it looks to deliver a lot of airtime in them, but it’ll never be a world class attraction. Would so many people have SteVe as their top coaster if it ended after the 4th element? Or if Taron/Helix finished before their second launches?
I found it helps to look at it like a big Dive Machine, rather than a small multi-looper. Tall and inversion-y, but with few elements.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
My top coaster is a total of 8 seconds longer apparently ;)

It’ll be ‘rate

Indy

Hyper Poster
I don’t know. SkyRush is one of the highest rated coasters on the planet and it really doesn’t do much.

Frankly, I’m pretty excited about this. It may be on the short side but there is no doubting that it’s an imaginative layout.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
45 minutes on an opening weekend is disgustingly admirable. Well done sir!
Well here’s the crazy thing, I just checked back… And turns out I lied, wasn’t opening weekend at all, it was the week after (I guess you could say opening ‘week’) Also… it wasn’t instantly my favourite ride!!! I preferred Untamed at first!!!

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
I managed to work out that the coaster will likely have a similar 4-block setup to Wicker Man and should be able to run 3 trains if a variable-speed lift hill is used (which the other Mack hypers have anyway). So I don't have to re-write what I have already written on Discord, I'll just post the screenshots of my evidence here:-

And here is the likely block zone setup, courtesy of ElToroRyan:-
1. Coaster Bot Discord server is cool.
2. Would Thorpe really run three trains on this? Not as much a 'could they' as it is a 'would they'.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
My top coaster is a total of 8 seconds longer apparently ;)

It’ll be ‘rate
8 seconds is a long time at speed though. The 8 seconds following Steel Vengeance's brake run involves 3 airtime hills. Following Zadra's amazing twisty turnaround is 8 seconds of double down, twisty section and up into the final inversion.

Zadra is the benchmark for short and punchy. It's almost the perfect ride. I have a feeling we will feel short changed on this one, much like Goliath at SFGAm. All it would have taken would be to push further towards the boundary and quad down from there to the brake run, it has the momentum. Instant gratification.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
8 seconds is a long time at speed though. The 8 seconds following Steel Vengeance's brake run involves 3 airtime hills. Following Zadra's amazing twisty turnaround is 8 seconds of double down, twisty section and up into the final inversion.

Zadra is the benchmark for short and punchy. It's almost the perfect ride. I have a feeling we will feel short changed on this one, much like Goliath at SFGAm. All it would have taken would be to push further towards the boundary and quad down from there to the brake run, it has the momentum. Instant gratification.
The last 8 seconds of Zadra is just from the drop down into the final roll. (Yes I did verify this using a POV 🙈) Honestly, I could live without it, and that ride would still be incredible.

Although I also cross checked SteVe, and it actually looks like 4 air time moments in the last 8 seconds. (If the pop up into the brake run gives air time, it looks like it might?)

I agree with you on the finale though, it will be carrying so much speed, SteVe is actually the perfect example of what could have been done with a relatively short amount of track and time to improve the ending. It is a shame more couldn’t be done.

Still I refuse to write the ride off, I think it will be incredible, and unlike anything else in Europe. Certainly much more intriguing to me than just another B&M, which I can ride almost any time I like for the price of a cup of coffee thanks to Ryanair.

Also, a fun side note, Thorpe allow rerides, and on the days I visit, midweek outside of the holidays, this is normally the case on every coaster… Certainly won’t feel short on my 18th go around in a row… 🙈😂😂😂

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Still I refuse to write the ride off, I think it will be incredible, and unlike anything else in Europe. Certainly much more intriguing to me than just another B&M, which I can ride almost any time I like for the price of a cup of coffee thanks to Ryanair.
I'm not writing the ride off, just voicing my frustration that the one theme park operating company who has the ability to deliver a truly world class ride has gone for a record/USP and not utilised the opportunity to it's potential, like they always do.

Still excited for the airtime and uniqueness though, the first 20 seconds does look fab.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I'm not writing the ride off, just voicing my frustration that the one theme park operating company who has the ability to deliver a truly world class ride has gone for a record/USP and not utilised the opportunity to it's potential, like they always do.

Still excited for the airtime and uniqueness though, the first 20 seconds does look fab.
Sorry DP (Can I call you that, I kinda like it 🙈😂) Didn’t mean to make that look like I was suggesting you personally had written it off. But a lot of people have. Many of whom I believe just ‘want’ to find fault because it either wasn’t what they, (and their reliable sources,) predicted. Or because it wasn’t what they’d hope for.

I honestly think I’d have been happy with any new coaster, obviously I wanted an RMC or Intamin, but a B&M, Mack or even Guerst hyper would have been a good addition. As it stands, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record… I’m over the moon that it was this, as much as I’d have celebrated any hyper, including a B&M, I’d take this over another B&M any day.

Does this mean the UK will have more Hyper Coasters (by definition of over 200ft!) than any other country in Europe?

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
So we have a 236ft beyond vertical 180 degree spiral drop...
Into an almost 200ft immelmann with an ejector pop at the top...
Into a relentless outerbank at almost the same height that transitions into an outerbanked spiral corkscrew thing...
Into a several second hangtime dive loop at again almost the same height...
Into a sideways ejector hill...
All of this with lap bars...
I think this absolutely does look like one of the best coasters in the world.

Skyrush is short because it focuses on relentless speed and 'never slowing down' until the final brakes. If Skyrush had a longer layout it wouldn't exactly be rushing through the layout when it fizzles out at the end and people leave with a bad impression because of the weak ending. Skyrush is consistently voted one of the best coasters in the world. Exact same story with Exodus - but instead of a focus on speed, the focus is on absolutely towering elements. Exodus wants its entire focus to be those four elements and for nothing else. The final two hills after the splashdown are the perfect way to round things off, and off the top of my head I can't think of a fifth element that's just as tall that doesn't do the same thing the other four do.

While it's not a problem with me, it does end pretty quickly but it's entirely about what you do with that time. Every single element looks absolutely beautifully executed. I drew with a line where I think the airtime parts of the layout are, and it ended up being legitimately every single part of the ride that wasn't a valley.

I think people are unsure of where this will rank or what to think - me included - because they've never seen something like this before. And what happens as a direct result of that? They pay entry to the park to ride it. And they'll keep coming back for more ;)

INFERNOismybaby

Roller Poster
The more I see of this coaster, the less length becomes an issue. It’s short a punchy like the rest of Thorpe's coasters and they still manage to deliver - fits their portfolio. Would find it odd to have a park full of 2000 to just below 3000 ft long coasters bar Stealth and then an extremely lengthy one.

I’m sure Exodus will leave most of us speechless after the first drop until that brake run. It’s back to back insane elements. I genuinely cannot wait myself. I never thought we’d see anything like this in the UK.

All I ask of Thorpe now is a Colossus & Inferno repaint for the 2023 season. Get them looking fresh before the new coaster but time will tell.