What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Matt N

CF Legend
All of this dive machine talk - isn’t this a little redundant in a park with Saw? They already have a ‘beyond vertical’ gimmick.
I'll admit that was my initial thought too; given that Saw has a similar focus on the drop, but has a steeper drop, surely a B&M dive coaster would kind of be a moot installation, as much as I think it would be a great ride?

Although I guess stranger things have happened...

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
If it's a dive coaster, I'll eat my hat... There's Saw and Stealth in the same park... Spending millions on a coaster that's main gimmick is something 2 coasters in the park already do is dumb, even for Merlin... Right?

BTW I personally don't think there is any chance it will be a Intamin Blitz for the same reason, sadly :(

Flying coaster is still VERY MUCH in the game though!!!

Archie

Mega Poster
If it's a dive coaster, I'll eat my hat... There's Saw and Stealth in the same park... Spending millions on a coaster that's main gimmick is something 2 coasters in the park already do is dumb, even for Merlin... Right?

BTW I personally don't think there is any chance it will be a Intamin Blitz for the same reason, sadly :(

Flying coaster is still VERY MUCH in the game though!!!
Flying coaster, for it to be that, surly it must be on the same scale as manta.

Reactions: T0M

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
Soz, didn't realise it was take everything literally day 👀

What I was getting at is that I'm certain this will be something short and a bit crap. Just like almost everything else Merlin have done.

Matt N

CF Legend
On a different note; when actually is the first consultation meeting tomorrow? I couldn't remember whether it was 1pm, 3pm, or a different time entirely...

Sandman

Giga Poster

What I was getting at is that I'm certain this will be something short and a bit crap. Just like almost everything else Merlin have done.

As much as I dislike Merlin, one thing that a company of their magnitude will pick up on is trends. So I think we can *hopefully* rule out any contentious manufacturers.

B&M Dive Coaster? Personally, I don't see it. It just doesn't make much sense. And, I disagree with Archie's point about it overshadowing Oblivion, because I don't even think that's a factor.

Surely, if we're expecting a big coaster then it has to be a B&M (hyper), RMC or a GCI.

Archie

Mega Poster

so something like this
1639005184748.png
photo from wikimedia commons

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
On a different note; when actually is the first consultation meeting tomorrow? I couldn't remember whether it was 1pm, 3pm, or a different time entirely...

09/12/21 at 3pm and 7pm: face to face presentations and Q&As
09/12/21: online survey on above site
10/12/21: grand reveal
13/12/21 at 1pm and 6pm: virtual presentations and live chat with team members
13/12/21 as well: plans summary on this page
14/12/21: recordings for those who missed the events

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Well, today is (likely) the day. It will either be a day of great rejoice, or possibly the most disappointing thing in the history of Merlin. There is a LOT riding on this, and I think/hope Merlin know this.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

09/12/21 at 3pm and 7pm: face to face presentations and Q&As
09/12/21: online survey on above site
10/12/21: grand reveal
13/12/21 at 1pm and 6pm: virtual presentations and live chat with team members
13/12/21 as well: plans summary on this page
14/12/21: recordings for those who missed the events
So the actual “grand reveal” is tomorrow? I realise their be some info to play with this afternoon but the actual song and dance is tomorrow…?

Peet

Giga Poster
Things I keep reminding myself to manage expectations:
- It's just a consultation, there's no guarantee that what they propose will actually get built.
- It won't open for well over 2 years. I'll have had 3 more birthdays before I get to ride it. My baby girl will be walking and talking (and may even have a cred or 2!).
- Whatever it is, it will probably be the shortest possible version; if it is a B&M hyper it will probably have 2 hills then hit the brakes.
- Let's face it, it will probably be *EUROPE'S FIRST* S&S Free Spin.
- When it finally does open it will be plagued by reliability issues and huge queues.

Okay now I've almost persuaded myself not to get excited, so I'm as ready as I can be to find out.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I do not fear disappointment!

I laugh in the face of disappointment!

Today is the day we hear the first details about the rollercoaster that will finally take Nemesis’ crown as the best coaster in the UK (generally regarded.)

Today is the day we see the first details of the coaster that will finally give Thorpe Park record attendance numbers.

Tallest in the UK
Fastest in the UK
Most airtime in the UK

I can feel it in my bones.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
So the actual “grand reveal” is tomorrow? I realise their be some info to play with this afternoon but the actual song and dance is tomorrow…?
As long as somebody is at the event today and tells all…

I would imagine they’re going to get the same info at the ‘in person’ consultation today as will be posted on the ’online’ consultation tomorrow.

Would be a bit of a pointless exercise to invite your neighbours round for a cup of tea and an early viewing, only to withhold information until it’s published the following day. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Just you wait the first AXIS coaster
Welcome to the forum…

I don’t mind waiting… And waiting… And waiting… It really doesn’t appeal to me from what I’ve seen so far… The rotation of the cars looks to kill any forces… Where airtime should be, instead inertia spins the car over :/ No thanks.