What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Niles

Giga Poster
Thorpe have presented the information to address a number of the conditions attached to the approval that need to be sorted before development can begin.

One thing is they had to give a schedule setting out the full works to be undertaken and their timings, the overall development is expected to span 15 months.
exodusimplementationscheme1.jpg
The first step will be the demolition of the existing structures on the site, which includes Logger’s Leap, Rocky Express and the former Canada Creek Railway station, and infill of the Abbey Lake inlet, this will take 5-6 months.

After that it will be to install the rollercoaster’s foundations which will take around 3 months. Towards the end of this phase is when the Resort expect to start taking delivery of the rollercoaster’s track, which will then start to be installed over a period of 80 days followed by a further 78 days for mechanical and electrical installation.

The station building will be built in parallel with the construction of the ride itself, with the maintenance building starting around a month later. Landscaping and external works will be started when station building is done, it is noted there will be ‘creative installations’ – presumably theming for the attraction. Then the F&B unit proposed for the ride’s queue-line and photo collection building along the exit route of the ride will also be installed. One of the last stages will be for the ride to undergo a 27.5 days period of commissioning to then enable the ride to open.

Documentation has also been submitted for a number of other conditions such as surface water drainage, Waste Management and so on.
exodusproposeddrainage.jpg
exodusimplementationschemebuild.jpgThis info is from Attraction Source, they have done a great in depth look if you want more info click: Link

Hopefully we are looking at an early 2024 opening but the planning delays have been a pain and while its expected to take 15 months it could change.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Really excited for this now, but is anyone else a little upset to see Old Town going?

I've got great memories on Logger's, and I remember getting an old style portrait done with my mum and sister in the old costume photo thingy they used to have. It was one of the few bits of 'old Thorpe' still hanging on.

Rupert

Mega Poster
Really excited for this now, but is anyone else a little upset to see Old Town going?
I guess I never really experienced ‘old Thorpe’ but on my first visit over 11 years ago I thought the area looked rubbish - tired & run-down. Loggers was a pretty good log flume but had clearly seen much better days, and the area seemed to only deteriorate since then.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
It had definitely passed its prime by the unfortunately. But back in Thorpe's boom years when it was still Canada Creek, it was a very smart looking area.

Matt N

CF Legend
I did enjoy Logger’s Leap a lot. When it operated, it was probably my favourite water ride in the UK.

However, I have every faith that I will likely prefer Exodus, and that Exodus is far more befitting of Thorpe Park’s modern vision. While Old Town was a sleepy, relaxing area, I don’t think it aligned with the modern day vision of Thorpe Park, whereas a big thrill coaster like Exodus is a bit more befitting of “the UK’s most thrilling theme park”, as Thorpe now calls itself.

I’ll admit that I think it would be nice to see some thrill rides with a slightly lower height restriction return after Exodus (maybe a 1.2m coaster without inversions, such as a GCI, would be a nice addition?) so that the park broadens its appeal slightly beyond teenagers and young adults, but I don’t think that Thorpe Park is an inherently family-focused park anymore.

Last edited:

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
I did enjoy Logger’s Leap a lot. When it operated, it was probably my favourite water ride in the UK.

However, I have every faith that I will likely prefer Exodus, and that Exodus is far more befitting of Thorpe Park’s modern vision. While Old Town was a sleepy, relaxing area, I don’t think it aligned with the modern day vision of Thorpe Park, whereas a big thrill coaster like Exodus is a bit more befitting of “the UK’s most thrilling theme park”, as Thorpe now calls itself.

I’ll admit that I think it would be nice to see some thrill rides with a slightly lower height restriction return after Exodus (maybe a 1.2m coaster without inversions, such as a GCI, would be a nice addition?) so that the park broadens its appeal slightly, but I don’t think that Thorpe Park is an inherently family-focused park anymore.
As we've seen in the past & present Merlin & wooden coasters do not do well together

Matt N

CF Legend
As we've seen in the past & present Merlin & wooden coasters do not do well together
What do you mean, out of interest?

I’m aware that Colossos was retracked, but given that Balder was also retracked and El Toro seems as though it could be heading that way before long, I wouldn’t necessarily attribute that to anything to do with Merlin.

I’m aware that Wicker Man has had some reliability problems, but again, I’m not necessarily sure that that is a “Merlin” thing per se.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
What do you mean, out of interest?

I’m aware that Colossos was retracked, but given that Balder was also retracked and El Toro seems as though it could be heading that way before long, I wouldn’t necessarily attribute that to anything to do with Merlin.

I’m aware that Wicker Man has had some reliability problems, but again, I’m not necessarily sure that that is a “Merlin” thing per se.
Colossos as you mentioned was left to rot.
WM has been so poorly maintained its comical, down for weeks at a time running 1 train, down for days being welded multiple times etc etc. No other GCI I've ever come across is down so often or so long, definitely Merlin involvement

Matt N

CF Legend
Colossos as you mentioned was left to rot.
WM has been so poorly maintained its comical, down for weeks at a time running 1 train, down for days being welded multiple times etc etc. No other GCI I've ever come across is down so often or so long, definitely Merlin involvement
But if Balder was also fully retracked, and it’s looking as though El Toro could require the same treatment in the coming years with its recent structural problems and increasing roughness (supposedly), wouldn’t that point to an issue common across Intamin pre-fabs rather than an isolated issue with Merlin?

Wicker Man’s reliability is admittedly a head scratcher, but I would say that correlation does not equal causation. Just because it’s one of the more unreliable GCIs and it’s at a Merlin park, that does not necessarily mean that Merlin maintain their woodies poorly as a rule. There could be all kinds of alternative explanations.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
But if Balder was also fully retracked, and it’s looking as though El Toro could require the same treatment in the coming years with its recent structural problems and increasing roughness (supposedly), wouldn’t that point to an issue common across Intamin pre-fabs rather than an isolated issue with Merlin?

Wicker Man’s reliability is admittedly a head scratcher, but I would say that correlation does not equal causation. Just because it’s one of the more unreliable GCIs and it’s at a Merlin park, that does not necessarily mean that Merlin maintain their woodies poorly as a rule. There could be all kinds of alternative explanations.
All Intamin woodies require retrack at some point but i think your missing the point Balders original track lasted 19 years where as Colossos only lasted 15 years before SBNO, lets be honest if Liseberg cared as little as Merlin it wouldn't be retracked yet leaving it aslong as possible as for El Toro that isnt terribly relevant as they never followed Intamins guidelines & did the retracks internally & seemingly not fully up to scratch

I assure you WM's issues are essentially all Merlin's fault whether it be neglecting track work, ordering the wrong type of wood, letting the chain/cogs wear far too low resulting in downtime for weeks its simply just not looked after & they definitely didn't expect to have to constantly on top of it like other parks do.
Look at how much Toverland, Efteling & Europa retrack their GCI's & constantly keep on top of it, its not a GCI thing it's a Merlin thing!

spicy

Giga Poster
It had definitely passed its prime by the unfortunately. But back in Thorpe's boom years when it was still Canada Creek, it was a very smart looking area.

It was the best area of the park in the late 90’s/early 2000’s.

Canada Creek Railway to the farm.
Loggers Leap, Calgary Stampede, Hudson River Rafts and the rocky express.

Was sad to see how Merlin really let that area of the park rot over the past decade.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
There's no reason why 'old' thorpe and new thorpe couldn't have coexisted, the bits that burned down excluded of course.

When will Merlin learn that a good filler lineup spreads the load and reduces the queues on the headliners?

EDjanaika

Mega Poster
It was the best area of the park in the late 90’s/early 2000’s.

Canada Creek Railway to the farm.
Loggers Leap, Calgary Stampede, Hudson River Rafts and the rocky express.

Was sad to see how Merlin really let that area of the park rot over the past decade.
Calgary Stampede was sold before Merlin owned the park but I do agree with the rest of your point about how Canada Creek/ Old Town was left to rot

CineramaMax

Mega Poster
There's no reason why 'old' thorpe and new thorpe couldn't have coexisted, the bits that burned down excluded of course.

When will Merlin learn that a good filler lineup spreads the load and reduces the queues on the headliners?
A giant gyro swing to replace Slammer would be a welcome addition.