What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
That ultimately answers my question of "where does the energy go", as ultimately the faster the train hits the brakes, the more kinetic energy the brake run has to convert into something else. That's basic physics.

I doubt it's an extension too, just trying to rationalise why it would be if it was, because they categorically aren't going to extend the ride to please a bunch of enthusiasts at the end of the day.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think the most likely option is theming (or coaster related landscaping, that is essentially theming) rather than an extended layout, based on the wording used… But I still hold onto a slight glimmer of hope.

I very much doubt it is ‘for construction equipment’ as some have suggested. Wouldn’t be necessary… You can store construction equipment on Stealth’s platform, as long as the work is carried out within the work area. Nor do I believe they’d need to extend the work area for demolition. Although at least it could plausibly be for demolition. Demo is a strange one, I don’t know the rules. We often see it happening without planning, but then we sometimes see planning go in that mentions demolition and construction, it’s weird. Anyway, the reason I don’t believe it’s demo, is because that wouldn’t be a design change, per se.

Edit: Just researched a little, seems most demo does not require planning consent, with certain exceptions, such as conservation areas, listed structures, or assets of community value. Another exception is for large buildings to have a ‘method of demolition’ approved beforehand, which I do not believe would apply here. Although perhaps somebody with more solid knowledge in this area would like to comment?

Last edited:

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
In all likelihood they have extended the boundary to ensure that it covers all areas of works, even if planning permission is not strictly necessary for such works, as this ensures there is no uncertainty on the point. This is particularly relevant when there are wildlife considerations.

In other words, they are probably intending to remove the existing flume and don’t want a slapped wrist for ‘disturbing the wildlife’.

Or, the area is being expanded to accommodate RMC’s extension of their first T-Rex layout, which Thorpe wanted to do to appease the fans.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
In all likelihood they have extended the boundary to ensure that it covers all areas of works, even if planning permission is not strictly necessary for such works, as this ensures there is no uncertainty on the point. This is particularly relevant when there are wildlife considerations.

In other words, they are probably intending to remove the existing flume and don’t want a slapped wrist for ‘disturbing the wildlife’.

Or, the area is being expanded to accommodate RMC’s extension of their first T-Rex layout, which Thorpe wanted to do to appease the fans.
That wouldn't explain their reason given... "Due to recent design development" which implies a change to the original design of some sort, be it layout, theme, landscaping, utilities or something of the sort. There is a very slim chance that they'd give that as a reason for removal of Loggers leap, but I highly doubt it, because surely loggers removal was always a given?

I do love a bit of speculation haha

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
That wouldn't explain their reason given... "Due to recent design development" which implies a change to the original design of some sort, be it layout, theme, landscaping, utilities or something of the sort. There is a very slim chance that they'd give that as a reason for removal of Loggers leap, but I highly doubt it, because surely loggers removal was always a given?

I do love a bit of speculation haha

I didn’t take that wording into account at all, so thanks for pointing it out. I nevertheless think that wording should be interpreted in the broadest sense possible: “our scheme includes ancillary works to these areas, please.”

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I didn’t take that wording into account at all, so thanks for pointing it out. I nevertheless think that wording should be interpreted in the broadest sense possible: “our scheme includes ancillary works to these areas, please.”
I agree, that's called 'managing expectations' I think... Ancillary works are highly likely, but by far the least exciting of the possibilities... I'm sticking with theming as my prediction, a somewhat 'middle of the road' possibility in terms of excitement. :)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

I stand corrected, on second thoughts maybe ancillary works are not the least exciting possibility, Thorpe's theming is... 🙈

I do love the boundless optimism on this site though. its refreshing!

The same was said when it was rumoured Mingo was getting an Intamin, and when Thorpe was rumoured to be getting a huge Hyper... 😜

Just waiting for ground to be broken on the Swanscombe Peninsula now to complete the trio 🙈🤣

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The park recently asked whether an Environment Impact Assessment was required (this is where some of the more recent planning documents came from). It is not.

However, a recommendation from this enquiry is that the 'temporary infilling' that was set to take place during construction should be a permanent thing. This in particular is related to footers being in the lake (or rather, technically not, under this recommendation).

I imagine with no EIA required, the planning process is slightly easier / less paperwork required.

Matt N

CF Legend
I’ve got to say, I’ve never personally understood the complaints about Merlin’s theming. They do a lot of really great stuff; for instance, Swarm Island, Saw, Wicker Man, Smiler, Thirteen… I can think of a lot of examples of really excellent Merlin theming, for my money!

What is it you guys don’t like, out of interest?

Sandman

Giga Poster
I’ve got to say, I’ve never personally understood the complaints about Merlin’s theming. They do a lot of really great stuff; for instance, Swarm Island, Saw, Wicker Man, Smiler, Thirteen… I can think of a lot of examples of really excellent Merlin theming, for my money!

What is it you guys don’t like, out of interest?

For me personally, the themes are all just variations along the same idea.

Don't get me wrong, I do like dark themes. I just don't really find myself immersed when every area is basically like that. It obviously sells to an extent, which is why they've continued down that path with Thorpe.

But AT (imo) has lost some of that old magical charm because you're basically just walking into several variations of a gloomy / dark environment. For me, Alton Towers should give me the same energy as Efteling. Magical, mystical, adventure themes with a sprinkling of dark moments. Dark themed rides stand out more when they aren't shoved down your throat at literally every opportunity.

Wicker Man is actually a really good compromise in a way, because it's got that ominous vibe without all that grey industrial, metal, scaffolded structures, ripped signs, trashed cars etc.