What's new

Thorpe Park Fright Nights

Lofty

CF Legend
Hey all,

I'm not going to explain how my day started, the order of what had happened or what I rode (sort of), but I am going to do a semi in-depth analysis of each of their scare attractions (scare maze is such a contrived phrase, NONE are mazes...), I'll do this in order of the best to the worst of this year's event in my opinion...

My Bloody Valentine

Hands down the best and most intense the event holds. I loved the way they created the 'mine' feel using the claustrophobic conditions and restraints that the trailers offer. From start to finish, the abundance of different types of scares is fantastic, from simple jump scares through to more elaborate psychological scares, it really was a good fun attraction. Enjoyed it.

The Asylum

Good fun, not much has changed. Simple yet effective scares and you know what you're going to get. The music is SO quiet though and the performers just clearly were bored and lacking effort, EVERY time we ventured in which was just ridiculous.

Cabin In The Woods

It starts really well, without spoiling, the 'free roam' effect you have is clever but VERY messy and the throughput feels the wrath of this. After that, when you rejoin the conventional attraction, it becomes bored, tired and stale really quickly. Considering such a large amount of money has been spent on the attraction, the fact that the monsters from the movie were just missing int he attraction and swapped with hillbillies was **** laughable. It was such a lazy effort from the creative team, it's sad to say.

Saw Alive

It's still terrible. Not much to say on the matter.

The Blair Witch Project

What were they thinking? **** terrible idea and even executed even worse. Just terrible from start to finish.

So yeah, the UK's best scare event? FAR from it, even Scarefest is stronger in terms of attraction lineup and quality. I did get a +1 though for The Swarm so the trip wasn't totally a wast of time...

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Great to hear your response. So am I right in guessing the scare attractions aren't as passive as the Universal ones? Nice to hear Bloody Valentine is amazing, it's easily the one I have looked forward to most. How many times did Harry Warden pop up when you were in there? Also how was The Asylum compared to previous years, I haven't been on it yet so am anxious to know whether it's better/worse than before. Shame about Cabin in the Woods loosing it's oomph after the initial rooms. And Blair Witch, pfft, not much of a surprise there, I mean there is literally no way they could recreate that film using actors and the space they have at that park. Anyway, great report, you going to scarefest this year?

Lofty

CF Legend
To be honest - they're not MUCH different to HHN, they're SO passive, the characters lack the enthusiasm to interact with you. We actually stopped to chat with a few to see if they brought anything to the table in terms of ad-libbing, but they couldn't handle it and just run off. It's like that in EVERY attraction, even the ones you're encouraged to interact with and take in your own time. It just doesn't work.

We only seen Harry warden twice in the whole experience. Beginning and end, it was such a let down in that respect.

Yeah, I'll definitely be going to Scarefest. I actually think it's a MUCH stronger event to be totally honest with you. Far superior in every which way.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Sounds like a pretty disappointing Fright Night overall, I'm trying not to expect much when I go this weekend. What were the scare actors costumes like? I've seen a few pictures and they looked really uninspired.

Did you manage to find the Control Room in Cabin in the Woods?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I've heard a couple of reports of actors spitting on guests - can anyone confirm? And was it accidental, as in they were shouting and screaming and it just happened, or was it more purposeful? The season pass podcast said to me over Twitter that one actor was drooling a lot, but id argue that's too far in itself due to the risk of it hitting guests.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
No, don't be silly, They wouldn't deliberately spit on guests.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Indeed, and I heard another report from the staff preview the day prior.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That's **** disgusting.

AJ

Giga Poster
One actor spat into his hand and wiped it down himself which was just **** disgusting.
Another actor turned his head fast and I got hit with a giant gob of spit. I looked at him and was like.... eh? And he was literally gushing foamy spit down his chin. Thanks. Haha.

Also, in contradiction to Lofthouse, Scarlet and I felt Blair Witch was amazing. Sure, you didn't have people screaming in your face all the time or blood everywhere. But walking down a pitch black path with trees everywhere? Super submersive. If you walk through the attraction with the mindset of 'meh. Actors. Expected. Im not scared' then no, you won't enjoy it.

but LET yourself be emerged, forget the fact they're acting... its more enjoyable.