What's new
For the 20th anniversary, I'd personally love to see the return of Creek Freak Massacre and Containment. In terms of new mazes, I do wanna see the return of a classic. What they could do firstly with returning classics, is give them something uniquely new about it. So if they brought back Freakshow 3D and The Freezer, they could make them into Freakshow 4D and put that in the Screamplexx Cinema, as one of the film offerings. As for The Freezer, I reckon an extended new storyline to give something different to the maze. Like The Freezer: Blood Blizzard (example on the spot). I also think Platform 15 will return, The Walking Dead: Do Or Die area can become Experiment 20 (rebirth of Experiment 10) and also, The Curse: Nightmares Awakening could take place on the marquee on the beach.

As for scare zones, Swarm Invasion and Creek Freak Unleashed needs to stay, along with The Crows and also the merging of two zones; Terror At Amity High and The Howling Of Lycanthorpe High into one zone as a constant battle between the two schools to get new students, before a dance battle every half an hour or every hour. I'd also like to see a scare zone in the Saw plaza, named Saw: Let the Games Begin (again it is an example on the spot) and have roaming pig masked actors jumpscaring around Saw the Ride and even use the Saw Alive queuing area as a closed off actor area where a chainsaw actor comes out of that area every hour or so.

So overall -
• NEW - The Freezer: Blood Blizzard
• NEW - The Curse: Nightmares Awakening
• NEW - Experiment 20
• NEW - Freakshow 4D in Screamplexx Cinema
• NEW - Saw: Let the Games Begin
• NEW - Amity High vs Lycanthorpe High
• RETURNING - Platform 15
• RETURNING - Creek Freak Massacre
• RETURNING - Creek Freak Unleashed
• RETURNING - The Swarm: Invasion
• RETURNING - The Crows
Adobe_Post_20201229_2356250.14758398743382717.png

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Not got high hopes given how few indoor spaces Thorpe now have to do mazes. I think it's likely we'll see Creek Freak return and maybe another indoor maze in the I'm A Celeb building or in a marquee/shipping containers by Vortex but other than that there will be 3+ low quality filler outdoor mazes masquerading as headline attractions as per usual. The fact it's almost a given that the mediocre Platform 15 will return for its sixth season shows how far the standards of the event has dropped. I want to love Fright Nights but I can't when there's so few proper indoor mazes.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Benenen has hit the nail on the head with the issue being the lack of indoor spaces available. Especially lack of permanent indoor spaces. Obviously it's not just as simple as flicking the lights on and going with the likes of Creek Freak Massacre, but it's much easier to have a maze fully built and protected, than having to build it, or having it open to the elements like their outdoor mazes. And with the loss of Living Nightmare for Black Mirror, it's difficult.

I'm not a fan of bringing back retired attractions mostly (with the exception of them bringing back stuff from 2019 they couldn't open this year because of Covid). Let the past be the past. Nostalgia plays a huge role, and given it would almost definitely be a completely different team of people designing mazes compared to 5 years ago, for example, I just don't think it'll work.

That said, I wouldn't be wholly against an attraction which pays homage to past attractions. Those sort of things are difficult to get right though.

Ultimately, the 20th anniversary's success will depend on how much the park invest into the event. Which sounds absolutely painstakingly obvious, I know, but is the truth. The 2019 event saw a big investment into Creek Freak Massacre, and you can tell it paid off with the reviews. 2018 was, in comparison, much smaller in comparison (and also spread significantly thinner across more attractions), and it shows.

If they can put in a bumper amount of money into it, make use of a couple of locations in tents and continue the creativity that was shining through some aspects of the event this year, it'll be a good year.

As for some stuff I'd like to see:
-Use the beach and the area by Rush for mazes (stick them in tents or shipping containers)
-Use the walkway outside Saw Alive as a scare zone
-Retain a couple of the other scare zones (if nothing else, this year's event should have showed them the importance of scare zones)
-Return of some sort of extreme experience. Maybe the UK scare industry has moved on from alone experiences, or there's enough 'standard' experiences out there which are full contact to mute the need for these experiences in their own right? But I still feel like there's a place for something like this at Thorpe

(obviously all depends on Covid yadda yadda)

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Given how popular the classics are, do we really think Thorpe will want to risk using names like Big Top, Experiment 10 and Asylum when their audience has what could perhaps be deemed as unrealistic expectations? At most we might get a scare zone referencing characters from previous attractions, but I don't think individual mazes will be bought back. Maybe a maze that creates a mish mash of the best scenes from past attractions, but I don't think they'd want to invest in the props/build for that attraction when they'd likely only want it for one year.

I don't really know what to expect from next year. I think the scare zones from 2020 were a huge success and I would hope the park would keep some of them. Creek Freaks Unchained should probably leave given we'll hopefully see Creek Freak Massacre return. I also can't see Swarm Invasion sticking around as it was a bit quiet compared to the other areas. Likewise I hope Lycanthorpe just gets merged with Amity. Great idea, but doesn't work best on it's own.

Maze wise? I would hope Platform 15 would leave. It has had it's time. I think now they're charging for tickets, they need to up their game on this one. The changes for 2020 were decent, but I don't think it matches the standard of something like Creek Freak Massacre. I'd love to see it merged with Roots of Evil, but I can't see them wanting to merge two mazes into one. Could we see something new in Jungle Escape or Black Mirror? Possibly. I mean Jungle Escape has to be on death's door given COVID. Black Mirror I can also see getting some actors added and perhaps some new props/scenes just for Fright Nights. A new container maze? I'd love to see it but i'm not sure how likely it is. I'd love to see a container maze go in where Lycanthorpe was, that's the prime location for it really. Can't see anything anywhere else. I seem to remember there being issues with the beach and the Sanctum location was a bit out of the way.

Fright Nights is an odd one. Has a lot of potential, and has definitely taken massive steps to better itself from 2018. It's a fun event, but it could be so much more. I'm so glad they've clearly got a strong, talented group of creatives working on it. I hope they get the funds to turn it into something spectacular.

Edit: Oh also if they don't do more with the crows this year i'll be genuinely surprised. Maybe a zone, maybe a maze. I think they would be silly not to use them more.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Thorpe Park has released most of the line up for the 20th Fright Nights. Like last year the mazes will be an upcharge, but with currently no indication on prices yet, and scare zones will return, alongside two new shows.

Mazes:
Platform 15: End Of The Line
Creek Freak Massacre
TBA - Presumably located in Jungle Escape Building

Scare Zones
The Crows of Mawking Meadow
Lycanthorpe vs Amity High Love Bites
The Swarm Invasion
Creek Freak Unchained

Shows/Roaming include:
Legacy Fire and Light Show
Birthday Bash
The Crows

88749FD3-EABD-4957-A471-B01DF55AC405.jpeg
For me I’m personally really excited for Platform 15’s return, as I have such a soft spot for that maze since it was introduced in 2016, and this will be it’s sixth season.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
Thorpe Park has released most of the line up for the 20th Fright Nights. Like last year the mazes will be an upcharge, but with currently no indication on prices yet, and scare zones will return, alongside two new shows.

Mazes:
Platform 15: End Of The Line
Creek Freak Massacre
TBA - Presumably located in Jungle Escape Building

Scare Zones
The Crows of Mawking Meadow
Lycanthorpe vs Amity High Love Bites
The Swarm Invasion
Creek Freak Unchained

Shows/Roaming include:
Legacy Fire and Light Show
Birthday Bash
The Crows

View attachment 13104
For me I’m personally really excited for Platform 15’s return, as I have such a soft spot for that maze since it was introduced in 2016, and this will be it’s sixth season.
The name change for Platform 15 possibly means it's the last season for it.

cp23

Mega Poster
I went today. Had hoped it would be a little less busy as it was a Friday but no such luck. The three mazes were good but I don’t think £10 each (£27 if you do all 3) really represents good value for money. What is also supremely irritating is that, if you buy all three as a package, you have to do Platform 15 first, but Platform 15 is the only one that you actually need to do in the dark, meaning we booked a late slot for that and then ended up queuing for ages for the other 2 mazes, basically losing out on the opportunity to get some rides in the dark in. I would have much preferred to get the other 2 mazes done when they opened at 3pm and just left Platform 15 until the evening. We had the 6.30 slot for Platform 15 and didn’t get out the final maze until 8.50, as the park was about to close.

Last edited:

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Went with some mates last weekend. The shows weren't for me but the atmosphere and the performers were great. Loved the walk throughs and the scare zones.

First time I'd done Fright Nights in 4 years and found the mazes a little disappointing. Scarce actors throughout, trailers felt cheap and tacky although had a couple cool rooms, and creek freak was very pretty but I think I saw about 5 actors throughout the entire thing.

Considering this is the first time I've ever had to pay a premium for fright nights stuff I'm disappointed that you pay for the mazes now (which imho are a downgrade from previous experiences) all whilst the park closes an hour earlier. Still had a good time but came away feeling a bit ripped off. A shame no discounts were available for thorpe stuff either, especially when you can get them on chessington/towers events and mazes etc..

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Thoughts on Fright Nights so far:
Starting with the Crows Of Mawkin Meadows is a very nice mini maze esq scare zone walk through, actors fantastic every time I’ve gone through it. Moving onto Legacy, which I’ve only seen once, very nostalgic having been to every year of Fright Nights, the ending could have been a lot better and bigger, but it is a solid show in the lineup

Trailers: I’ve only done it once, and in a small group of seven which was an added bonus, but I thought it was a really good addition to the Fright Night lineup, and has room to grow in future years, finale was fantastic as me and two friends got held back by the finale actors and then chased out of the maze which was impressive.

Platform 15: Being a big fan of this maze ever since it opened, I’ve done this maze a lot, I’ve already been through it 12 times this year. While the maze is still good, I think last year was one of its best years of the maze for me as most of the time I was walking through it on my own, and the actors were so intense as I did it so much, but this year having to go through with bigger groups was always going to make the experience less intense.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Thoughts on Fright Nights so far:
Starting with the Crows Of Mawkin Meadows is a very nice mini maze esq scare zone walk through, actors fantastic every time I’ve gone through it. Moving onto Legacy, which I’ve only seen once, very nostalgic having been to every year of Fright Nights, the ending could have been a lot better and bigger, but it is a solid show in the lineup

Trailers: I’ve only done it once, and in a small group of seven which was an added bonus, but I thought it was a really good addition to the Fright Night lineup, and has room to grow in future years, finale was fantastic as me and two friends got held back by the finale actors and then chased out of the maze which was impressive.

Platform 15: Being a big fan of this maze ever since it opened, I’ve done this maze a lot, I’ve already been through it 12 times this year. While the maze is still good, I think last year was one of its best years of the maze for me as most of the time I was walking through it on my own, and the actors were so intense as I did it so much, but this year having to go through with bigger groups was always going to make the experience less intense.
How much have you spent on Platform alone? 🙈😂

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Last night I was the last person through on my own and had a massive where I had the pretty much the entire cast chasing me through it, it was one of the most intense years for this maze, and will always hold a special place in my heart.
ABB9B7E7-0836-44A4-ADC6-BB27739B4E8E.jpeg
During ScareCon Aftershock, I was able to experience Platform 15 ten times brining my end of this season total upto 34 times this season alone, easily been through the maze over 100 times over the past 6 years.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Honest question, why?

I can fully understand getting a total like that on a genuinely good scare maze, that isn’t £10 a go, but really why so many times? Surely doing the same scare attraction so many times completely looses any element of surprise, not like Platform has many to begin with…

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Honest question, why?

I can fully understand getting a total like that on a genuinely good scare maze, that isn’t £10 a go, but really why so many times? Surely doing the same scare attraction so many times completely looses any element of surprise, not like Platform has many to begin with…
For many reasons to be completely honest, Platform 15 was the first scare maze I truly fell in love with, and am really sad that this was the final year of being able to do it. I do also have sentimental attachment as well, from growing up close by Thorpe and the Canada Creek Railway as a kid, it was a big part of my life, and after ten years of the railway closing in 2011, the maze has ended this year.
24324E3B-E21B-472A-A6A3-C8D9B246B181.png
Going through the amount of times that I did, I worked out I spent £285 but that includes £95 for both ScareCon and the Behind the Scenes tour, but for me this was completely worth it for the final year.
6982D2EA-EDBE-4B5D-A255-3F0E34B92435.jpeg
I’ve had some amazing runs, and extremely intense runs this season, the cast always upped their game with me every time I went through, as I always wore my custom made Platform 15 mask which I got made up for 2020 due to lack of merchandise, plus my blue coat so I always stood out to them.

During ScareCon Aftershock where I got my final ten runs, all of them were intense, but that ultimate final run of the night where I had pretty much the whole cast in the finale minus the tour guides who I then encountered as was I chased out by the whole cast outside the exit. The pre-ending tour guide, had said that “our number 1 fan, it would seem you had brought some friends (the cast) with you, get him!”, and then when was reunited with that tour guide he said “you have finally made it to the end of the line” with the rest of the cast still around me.

Platform 15 will always a hold a special place in my heart, and I will fondly remember it, I’ve easily been through that maze over 100 times in it’s 6 years, every year it’s cast has always made it special and intense for me, and the final run, was the perfect farewell.

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
For many reasons to be completely honest, Platform 15 was the first scare maze I truly fell in love with, and am really sad that this was the final year of being able to do it. I do also have sentimental attachment as well, from growing up close by Thorpe and the Canada Creek Railway as a kid, it was a big part of my life, and after ten years of the railway closing in 2011, the maze has ended this year.
View attachment 14188
Going through the amount of times that I did, I worked out I spent £285 but that includes £95 for both ScareCon and the Behind the Scenes tour, but for me this was completely worth it for the final year.
View attachment 14187
I’ve had some amazing runs, and extremely intense runs this season, the cast always upped their game with me every time I went through, as I always wore my custom made Platform 15 mask which I got made up for 2020 due to lack of merchandise, plus my blue coat so I always stood out to them.

During ScareCon Aftershock where I got my final ten runs, all of them were intense, but that ultimate final run of the night where I had pretty much the whole cast in the finale minus the tour guides who I then encountered as was I chased out by the whole cast outside the exit. The pre-ending tour guide, had said that “our number 1 fan, it would seem you had brought some friends (the cast) with you, get him!”, and then when was reunited with that tour guide he said “you have finally made it to the end of the line” with the rest of the cast still around me.

Platform 15 will always a hold a special place in my heart, and I will fondly remember it, I’ve easily been through that maze over 100 times in it’s 6 years, every year it’s cast has always made it special and intense for me, and the final run, was the perfect farewell.
That’s a great story. Had only 2 runs through this year, neither of them great. But that’s the problem with paid for mazes, you only get one chance for your money, and poor runs happen… Much preferred it in previous years, when the tunnel was used at the end, and you could go unlimited times.

Had a similar story to yours on Blair Witch one year, I ‘think’ it was 2018, though could be wrong on that, covid has messed up my sense of time… Was the end of the night, about 1 minute after closing, we ran over to the entrance to be told they were closed which we happily accepted and said ‘ok, no problem, thank you anyway’ we’d done all the mazes so many times that night!

But an actor overheard this and told them to let us through, the last ones… Then proceeded to give us the best run through of any maze at Thorpe ever!!! It was so intense, with every actor on us, and knowing it was their last run of the night they just followed us through the maze…. Really really good.

When we came out of the maze the park was empty and eerily quiet, we could hear the actors laughing about their last run through, so all 4 of us shouted ‘Thank you’ and actually got back replies like ‘you’re welcome’ and ‘see you next year.’ It was an incredible little moment, and one of my favourite memories ever at Thorpe.

tl:dr I wouldn’t pay to do mazes over and over, but I do enjoy doing them a lot of times when they’re free. And I totally get how special moments in certain mazes can give you an attachment, and really make your day, if not year :)

Benenen

Hyper Poster
That's awesome Coasterfreck, thanks for sharing with us. Nice to see the cast went that extra mile to make it extra special this year. Here's hoping there will be new mazes in the future you can enjoy as much.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
So, I had a few visits to Fright Nights this year. In total, it was 6 visits. Most of them were just evening pop-ins (the bonus of living close and having a pass I guess).

First visit was for Press Night, which I never use to judge the quality of the event. BUT I could tell it was going to be a much better event than previous years.
I also had a visit on the Annual Pass preview night (the first 'proper' one in a few years), where the attractions were again on top form.
I then had other visits scattered throughout the run.

I had a fair few runs on each of the mazes.
-Trailers was my favourite this year - a maze that isn't particular scary, but nicely themed and designed, with some good moments. It lacked that 'oomph' moment at the ending, and seemed to focus a bit too much on cramming Easter eggs and references in at point. But for the most part, was very solid.
-Platform 15 is a maze which has historically been very inconsistent. But it was good to see its final season was a good one. The idea of the maze was to start off slow and build up and up and become more intense. I think for me it started off a bit too slow and peaks a bit too soon, but for the most part, a solid farewell.
-I didn't particularly rate the critically acclaimed Creek Freak Massacre in its opening year. And this year, it was much worse. I have theories as to why, but who knows if any of them are right. In any case, whilst I never rated this maze, I know it was well received, so it's a shame to see it a shadow of its former self...

Scare zones were good on the whole.
-Swarm Invasion was the highlight for me. It's clear that the park gave this the least attention and budget and just let the actors run with what they could do. But this worked in its favour almost; clearer a creative and strong cast who were able to make the best of it. I still don't think it is right to call it a 'scare zone', since it's just an extension of the Swarm story, but it was good.
-The Crows scare zone looked great and seemed to go down a treat. It doesn't quite have the same impact when it's busy, but it was good.
-Creek Freaks Unchained is fine as a little story extension to the maze.
-Amity High vs LycanThorpe High is a good dance show flash mob thing. As a scare zone outside of the shows though, it's pretty weak.
-Birthday Bash was a nice idea and the show they had was good with lots of good characters. But given the characters weren't there that much outside of shows, it fell a bit flat. The previous show/zone that was there last year, Fearstival Arena, was much better.

Then there was the Fire and Light show, Legacy. It's good, because it's a fire and light show, but it was still the weakest one I've seen. It was chocked full of so many references it got a bit lost in itself. It could decide if it was trying to tell a story, or to just be a 'Here's loads of music with lights and fire, enjoy' type show. And it lacked a good ending. I hear the park have purchased the rig set up though, so I imagine it will return and grow in future years.

My last visit of the event (and of the season) was with a couple of people who had never been to the park, during the Thursday of half term. We didn't do any mazes, but the scare zones were a lot quieter and the park was insanely busy. I know this happens, but having not visited on such a day for a long time, it was a stark reminder of how hectic the park can be at the wrong time.

One final thing: Maze upcharges. I'm all for the park upcharging for the mazes so long as the quality is there. I also think they should have one free maze, to serve as a taster / for people who don't want to pay. But the cost is all wrong. £10 per maze is way too high. No maze is near that quality; they're all £5 at most.
For reference, as I always use this as the benchmark for these things, when I did The Clinic at Walibi Holland (gazes a knowing look to the likes of @Howie and others...) in 2019, that cost me 15 euros, about £13 back then. Simply put, there is no way any of this year's mazes should be priced anywhere that close to Clinic.

All in all though, a good year, much better than some of the more recent ones. Hopefully onward and upward now.