What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

pvnks

Mega Poster
I'm looking forward to "Boris's Magical Two-Wheeled Bicycle Adventure" through the Old Town forest complete with an upcharged and poorly designed zipline that routinely strands guests halfway to Amity Beach...

In all seriousness though and to add to the debate, I'm planting my flag here in saying that it'll be a ground-up RMC. Total stab in the dark but I think it's a shade cheaper than B&M Hyper projects and a better fit for the park and forest area IMHO. Happy with either.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'll be honest, whatever they do build I don't want it to have any inversions; solely an airtime monster, whether it be a B&M/Intamin hyper, an RMC, or even a GCI at a worst case. It's something that I think we can unanimously agree on that the UK lacks. And I'm calling it right now, whatever this will be will be generally regarded to be the UK's best coaster.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
saying they are working on a "world-class rollercoaster"
Wouldn't they say this regardless of what they are building? Kinda bad marketing not to, after all.

I'm kinda jaded at this point. It's Merlin. They could be buying a fifth-hand Vekoma rollerskater, themeing it to some baby-eating monster, calling it "the world's first Terrorcoaster!" with effects that run for three months, and patting themselves on the back for having outdone Disney.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Wouldn't they say this regardless of what they are building? Kinda bad marketing not to, after all.
Oh totally agree.

My point there was as Hixee made clear, with the differences in roller coaster. I'm sure at one point or another they've said "world class" rather than "world-class" too. ;)

Whatever this is, I'm looking forward to the grammatical roller coaster they're taking us for now.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
In case anyone was in any doubt, the park have confirmed the legitimacy of this, saying they are working on a "world-class rollercoaster":

It's good to see it finally confirmed! I will admit, I didn't think that all these rumours would come to anything so finally seeing it confirmed by the park themselves almost feels surreal 😂 If planning approvals go ahead this year....could it be possible we might actually see it as a 2023 opening?

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Did you just trawl back like 5 pages just to get that dig in there? 😂
Yes, yes I did. ;)

On another note, if Thorpe does get a hyper I'll laugh if it looks something like this:-

unknown.png

3 elements long but will probably still be the UK's best.

jax44

Roller Poster
Yes, yes I did. ;)

On another note, if Thorpe does get a hyper I'll laugh if it looks something like this:-

unknown.png

3 elements long but will probably still be the UK's best.
As much as we're all excited, is anyone else actually really nervous about what may be announced?

We've waited so long for a new coaster now, and it feels like this potential new ride may be Thorpe's one and only chance to really make a statement and deliver. So is anyone nervous that we may be massively disappointed or let down as our expectations are now so high?

We all know Merlin tend to go for the gimmicks and I just hope they haven't planned something which will end up being just...'meh'. For example the above. If we do get a B&M hyper, I'm worried it will be something like the above, or like the B&M Wing for Chessington, just not what we really wanted or expected, almost feeling like: "well yes, but no". Similar with Wicker Man, it's a good ride yes, but the worst GCI in my opinion.

At this point though I'm grateful for anything new at the park, it's just my expectations are so high now with all the teasing and rumours that I'm so worried it will end up being a B&M Hyper with a curved drop and somehow no airtime hills.

If they choose a B&M Hyper, I just hope they keep it traditional. If they choose an RMC, I hope they don't go for the inversion record or first RMC shuttle or something weird. Just please keep it simple but powerful.

Last edited:

Coaster_cat

Roller Poster
As much as we're all excited, is anyone else actually really nervous about what may be announced?

We've waited so long for a new coaster now, and it feels like this potential new ride may be Thorpe's one and only chance to really make a statement. So is anyone nervous that we may be massively disappointed or let down as our expectations are now so high?

We all know Merlin tend to go for the gimmicks and I just hope they haven't planned something which will end up being just...'meh'. For example the above. If we do get a B&M hyper, I'm worried it will be something like the above, or like the B&M Wing for Chessington, just not what we really wanted, almost feeling like: "well yes, but no". Similar with Wicker Man, it's a good ride yes, but the worst GCI in my opinion.

At this point though I'm grateful for anything new at the park, it's just my expectations are so high now with all the teasing and rumours that I'm so worried it will end up being a B&M Hyper with a curved drop and somehow no airtime hills.

If they choose a B&M Hyper, I just hope they keep it traditional.
I totally am. Bracing myself for wickerman inferno

Matt N

CF Legend
Personally, I’d advise reserving judgement at least until the consultation. We know nothing; while I of course understand keeping your expectations grounded to prevent overhype, I personally feel it’s a little too soon to already be declaring this a missed opportunity or another insult often directed at Merlin coasters.

Whatever it ends up being, it could very well be world-class for all we know, and I certainly think it could be something to get really excited about, personally!

Coaster_cat

Roller Poster
Thorpe getting a new coaster just seems so surreal - it's been talked about so much that the idea of a ride that satisfies our expectations feels impossible. I will keep an open mind though; after all, the speculation is half the fun!

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Whatever it ends up being, it could very well be world-class for all we know, and I certainly think it could be something to get really excited about, personally!
World-class is what Merlin would say about any coaster they build. What I can't help but notice though, is that there is no mention of "record-breaking" in their reply posts, which slightly concerns me. Surely, if they were gonna get a hyper or the UK's tallest, they'd want to claim that as record-breaking even if it isn't a world record, since it's Merlin?

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
World-class is what Merlin would say about any coaster they build. What I can't help but notice though, is that there is no mention of "record-breaking" in their reply posts, which slightly concerns me. Surely, if they were gonna get a hyper or the UK's tallest, they'd want to claim that as record breaking even of it isn't a world record, since it's Merlin?
They may be wanting to keep that part a secret until the consultation; remember that it’s still very early days yet!

I’m not sure we can extrapolate too much from one Twitter post; let’s wait and see!