What's new

Thorpe Park 2015 - what you would love/hate seeing

Montario

Roller Poster
I apologise if there was a thread similar to this since I haven't been active for a few months :?

My question is what coaster/flat rides you guys want to see come or go at the start of the 2015 season and in the near future. It could even be some minor alterations to rides already existing. I personally want to see:

COME:

A standard Intamin Mega-Lite coaster with possibly a different layout to the ones in operation. Big plus if Merlin decide to choose the trains with lap bars and not OTSR.

GO:

The old Colossus trains. I also don't see SAW's original trains in operation by the end of 2015.

I would love to see your ideas :--D

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Re: Thorpe Park 2015 - what you would love/dread seeing

Intamin Impulse Coaster or a ZacSpin for coasters. For flats I hope they sort out Slammer.

For go

I would like new Colossus trains so the old ones can go.
I would like Detonator to be replaced with a bigger drop tower, if it can be done can't remember of any height restrictions.

sparky2u

Mega Poster

I'll like to see the OHR removed from Colossus trains if they get new ones, you just need a lapbar nowadays for wood or steel coasters which do inversions. Total freedom for the upper body and a more enjoyable experience.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Love - B&M Hyper. Intamin megalite.
Dread - Any type of Gertslauer other than a launch.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Well seeing as they appear to be moving towards a family market I would love to see. (This is assuming the news that Extremis and Vengence are stored at Thorpe are True)

Love -
-To see Extremis set up as a more family friendly alternative to Detonator and Vengence to be set up in the Time Voyagers room.
- A really good modern woodie, I am thinking either an Intamin Plug and Play or a RMC Topper Track. Although a GCI or a Iron Horse wouldn't go amiss.
- A great retheme for Saw once it's license has run out (Although I can imagine this will be less popular with Thorpe's current market.
- A Gerstlauer Bobsled/Family Launched or a Mack Youngstar to appease their new target market.
- Perhaps a few flats, Huss Jump 2's look pretty neat, and as much as people hate them, a Talocan style top spin would fit in rather well.
- New trains on Colossus, similar to those seen on the new Intamin multi looper in Italy, and new trains on Saw, similar to those on Dare Devil Dive.

Hate -
- Spinball Whizzer to be moved from Alton to Thorpe
- Vengence to be recycled from the Dungeons without a retheme
- Lack of investment on their new family friendly market
- Lazy investments such as storm surge/X Retheme
- Lack of any form of spruce up

Ethan

Strata Poster
Well I don't think we'll see a new coaster until 2016/17 will we? Either way, B&M Hyper.

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Personally I hope we get a good investment for 2015, but I have my doubts anyway here is what I would love and hate
Love: Mack Launch Coaster with Inversions or Megalite. Saw The Ride new trains like Smiler for higher capacity and big retheme of coaster and new name.
Hate: No investment on the theme park side, or Colossus getting new trains as I actually find the current ones good, and pointless expense getting new ones when these do the job.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Multi-launcher please. Preferably something where the launch is staggered rather than a cable launch.

Mike

Giga Poster
I'd love the whole place to be tidied up, get everything painted and looking fresh, Storm Surge removed and for the park to get that 'fun' feeling that you should get when entering a theme park...

peep

CF Legend
I was discussing this with Benin the other day when we were at the park. We'd like to see the rarely used beach turned into an outdoor event space (I assume it'd work really well for these Ministry night events). Then they could use the space that Storm surge, X, the arena and Slammer take up for a large investment, whether that be just one large coaster or an area with several attractions including some new flat rides.

I also agree with Mike that the park should clean itself up. At the moment it feels like the park doesn't know what it is, it is going through a huge identity crisis. Especially now after years of taking the park away from the family market by building dark/scary themed attractions and removing most of the child friendly attractions they are now back to marketing the park to the family market. Just what are they doing? I know the park might not be doing too well at the moment in terms of gate figures but they need to seriously consider what to do with the park and make it feel whole and not all over the place in terms of atmosphere and theming.

In the way of what rides I'd like to see appear at the park, either an Intamin multi-launch like Maverick, a B&M hyper or a crazy Intamin cred like Skyrush. What I wouldn't want to see? Some sort of low capacity nightmare.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
ok, what i'd like:

1 -Get rid of storm surge, depth charge (and the other little water slides), flying fish and fill in the beach

2 - Replace with great family coaster, and balderesque woodie with oodles of airtime.

3 - Profit.

what I wouldn't like:
another crap second hand water ride

Mike

Giga Poster
^ I don't see how saying what we'd like to happen is the same as speculating whether something will happen or not.

Montario

Roller Poster
Not speculation, preference. While you are right that many of the things mentioned are unlikely to happen in such a short space of time, the thread never stated what people think or expect to occur in 2015 and beyond, neither did it state that you have to anticipate a coaster or anything that is of a large investment.

@peep I agree, I feel Thorpe is trying to be too many things - morphing in order to entertain all groups.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Perhaps, but can we at least get past the 2014 announcements before we start considering what Thorpe needs or we want for 2015? I mean some of it may get addressed before the timeline of this topic.

In other words, can we live in the now a little better?

Montario

Roller Poster
Maybe it's just coincidental that there is a consistent pattern, though every 3 years, major changes/additions take place - 2003,2006,2009,2012. Even though I said 2015, I also mentioned 'in the near future', implying events before 2015.

Maybe I'm just over thinking things, but there was another topic addressing events of 2015 TWO years ago. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=30084&hilit=Thorpe+Park+2015&start=14

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
There has also been an emerging pattern with other Merlin Parks:

Alton:Th13teen (2010) Smiler (2013) and before that Air (2002) and subsequently Rita in 2005.
HeideKrake (2011) and the B&M Wingrider will be opening in 2013.
GardalandSequoia Adventure (2005), Mammut (2008), Raptor (2011)

I suspect this trend will continue to be a standard new coaster model for Merlin parks so:
Heide Park - 2014
Gardaland? - 2014 (Should we already be aware of this?)
Thorpe - 2015
Alton - 2016
Heide - 2017 etc.

I would love

A moderately tall (200+) but airtime abundant B&M/Intamin hyper.
Intamin/RMC woodie.
A flat to ameliorate The Swarm Island
X to be completely refurbished in the off - season
New colossus trains
A less intimidating coaster?
Pretty much anything B&M/Intamin

Hate

Another black/grey coaster!
A ride riddled with issues from Getslauer (Smiler) or a too ambitious Intamin (Skyrush) as it is exactly what Merlin do not need.