What's new

Thorpe & Alton

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Went to Thorpe Park for the first time this week, so here's my report!

I've always wanted to go and this is the year I've got a Merlin Pass (via Tesco) so as I was down South for a conference I got together with my old mate Paul and popped in on Monday 19th. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but it was great! I think the rides are pretty decent, but overall the theming is a bit half-hearted, and I was a bit surprised by how compact it is. Must be smaller than my local park, Camelot?

Anyway, we got there at 10.20am and went in a clockwise circuit round the park. I'd heard Colossus has massive queues so I wanted to get it out of the way while (relatively) quiet. As it was, it was just 20 minutes and I have to say I really enjoyed the ride. It's a bit rough, but fun in an old-school way.

From there it was Saw, which I loved, then Nemesis Inferno which had a 45-minute queue and was decent but not a patch on the Alton Towers one. It just seems to compact, so you're being thrown around a lot with no idea what the **** is happening. From there, it was the Rapids as there was no queue. It was a bit dull, but Paul did get drenched by a waterfall while I stayed bone dry so I was happy with that. Amazed by the girl in the boat in front who managed to eat a Double Cheeseburger while going round...

Stealth next, and another 20 minute queue. The ride was fantastic - though I wish it could have been longer (and I couldn't see much being built of Swarm). Then, with the words "the water's just an effect" coming out of my mouth, it was onto Tidal Wave. They may as well hit you round the back of your head while firing a water cannon at you.

Trying to dry off, we went on Rush - a great flat ride made slightly scarier by the operator appearing to be a nutter (most of the other flat rides were closed). Then Storm Surge - quite a wait for this one, especially as the dinghy we were about to get in was full of sick. It's fun and spinny but not really worth the wait. And I think I got trenchfoot from it.

Finally, X: No Way Out, which was just weird. Stops and starts for no discernible reason then just kind of ends. Bit of food, then back round the big rides again (Saw broke down while queuing, but the number of people who left meant there wasn't much difference in waiting time) and did Detonator, cos I got some good views of the area (yeah, I'm old).

Collossus 2
Saw 2
Stealth 2
Nemesis Inferno 1
Rapids 1
Detonator 1
X: No Way Out 1
Tidal Wave 1
Storm Surge 1
Rush 1

On the way home by myself, I thought it'd be rude not to call in at Alton Towers so popped in for 5 hours of fun.

It was pretty quiet so did:

Oblivion 3
Air 4
Nemesis 4
Log Flume 1
Spinball 1
Mine Train 1
Rapids 1
Thirteen 2
Enterprise 1

Would have done more, but I kept lurking round Rita in the hope it would open - this is my second visit this year, and it's been closed both times.

Air had queues of 20+ minutes (and is one of my favourite rides - it's so relaxing), while Nemesis was almost straight on. The walk from exit to back on Oblivion became a pain in the arse but otherwise there was no queue - the X-Sector really needs something else down there because it's making Oblivion look bad.

And that's that. Sunny in Surrey, Stormy in Stoke - quite wet at both places.

peep

CF Legend
Sounds like you had a good time at both parks. I always find it interesting to read what people think of Thorpe if it's their first time. Shame to hear that Rita was down when you went to Alton, have you not been on it before?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
peep said:
Sounds like you had a good time at both parks. I always find it interesting to read what people think of Thorpe if it's their first time.
Cheers. I liked Thorpe, but I find it nicely odd - in many ways it reminded me of Blackpool Pleasure Beach in that they've just fitted whatever they could into a limited space and haven't really gone all out with the theming.

Shame to hear that Rita was down when you went to Alton, have you not been on it before?
Yeah, but it was a few years ago. I was just annoyed at it a) being down on both my visits this year, and b) heading over to Dark Forest and only having the truly underwhelming Thirteen to go on!

choluby

Roller Poster
Robbie said:
peep said:
Sounds like you had a good time at both parks. I always find it interesting to read what people think of Thorpe if it's their first time.
Cheers. I liked Thorpe, but I find it nicely odd - in many ways it reminded me of Blackpool Pleasure Beach in that they've just fitted whatever they could into a limited space and haven't really gone all out with the theming.

I have just been there for the first time ever a week ago.

Theming means everything to my dad but he was very impressed.

Ok the overall theming of the park isn,t amazing but the individual rides are amazing especially SAW!

rich210uk

Mega Poster
Thorpe park has without a doubt some of the best rides in the country but as you pointed out, theming is a bit non existant. They did make an effort with Saw I think but Swarm is hopefully going to bring a new wave of proper theming for TP. I think when you have recently been to places like Florida and parks in Europe like Port Aventura you realise just how dull Thorpe Park can look. We have always encountered down time, Rush, Stealth and Samuri always seem to be closed when we go.

Rita is also the one thats ALWAYS closed :) Maybe we just have a bit of bad luck with this one but everytime, without fail, there is something wrong.

Good trip report though