What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
gavin said:
^I didn't say I was disappointed by it at all, though I suppose it did come across like that. I was just commenting on what the track is reminding me of at the moment, what with it being bi-rail, tire lift etc.

On the whole, if the station and area get the theming we're hoping for, I think it will end up looking pretty good and should ride pretty well, too.

OK, well from a purely visual standpoint I DO think SW6 aside from the as yet to be completed castle facade IS disappointing with it being bi-rail and not looking scary either.

SAW_gameover

Mega Poster
Coaster-Fiend said:
OK, well from a purely visual standpoint I DO think SW6 aside from the as yet to be completed castle facade IS disappointing with it being bi-rail and not looking scary either.

I agree, it does'nt look very scary at all. The bi-rail track and tire lift, along with the height (Although obviously Alton have to meet height restrictions) make it look like a rather unscary (dont think thats a word) ride. I do doubt however, that this ride will be a let down; hopefully alton will pull it off as they have with their other SWs'.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Fifteen million pounds? That's about two million pounds MORE than KD are paying for Timmy 305. Which is three times taller, longer, and spans an area quite a bit larger than twice of SW6's footprint. Whatever that "worlds first" bit will be, it should be quite expensive. Heck, this and Saw combined almost equals Expedition Everst in terms of costs.

Guess this is another indication on how many big (on an international scale) rides we'll see in Britain the next few years.

Jools

Giga Poster
coasterboy said:
Can I just ask something? Has there ever been a reversing floorless coaster? Sorry if i'm being a noob but it's an idea that fits in with the world's first idea...

I actually don't think there has, and with so many companies worrying about comfort and space on a coaster nowadays, It shouldn't be an option crossed out, this would also be something which seperates it from every other ride at the park. Also if there was a drop section, it would definatly capture that moment well and amplify the experience, if that is what is int here anyway.

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
SAW_gameover said:
Coaster-Fiend said:

I agree, it does'nt look very scary at all. The bi-rail track and tire lift, along with the height (Although obviously Alton have to meet height restrictions) make it look like a rather unscary (dont think thats a word) ride. I do doubt however, that this ride will be a let down; hopefully alton will pull it off as they have with their other SWs'.

I do think/believe this coaster will PROBABLY, offer a really unique and thrilling experience. And if it does that;- we can't really complain.

But I guess I have just wanted AT to produce a new coaster that was as thrilling and badass as Nemesis and Oblivion were for the last 10 or so years, or at least in the same category. I REALLY don't think SW6 will be as good.

It's a shame because in the 90's- AT showed so much promise like they were gonna be the best thrill ride park in the world.

Oh well, hopefully ONE day AT will get a new B&M, heh.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
And why does it have to be a B&M?

Remind me who built the number 1 rated coaster almost every year since it opened and also the new Mega-lite coasters?

Ah yes, it was Intamin! Frankly all this moaning about Intamin is pathetic. Do you think this ride would look good with box spine or tri rail? Or even be allowed? It is bi rail to minimize impact. Intamin have recently made their tracks and supports stronger so it does not mean that this will be forceless and boring.

Moving on, I still have no email and it says the ride may have invisible track. This seems outlandish but is really simple. There are two pieces of track perfectly aligned with each other. as the train reaches the end of the first piece, a catch car attaches to the train and drags it across the gap to join the end piece. The gap would have to be smaller than a train unless there was something to hold it all together, but as there is not much room, if this effect is used, I expect it to be quite small, unless the 'invisible' track is what drops. This has been patented already so is possible.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Blaze said:
And why does it have to be a B&M?

Remind me who built the number 1 rated coaster almost every year since it opened and also the new Mega-lite coasters?

Ah yes, it was Intamin!

Is that the same Intamin that have caused Merlin consecutive problems & downtime with rides such as Stealth and Rita?

Personally I think Alton are mental for choosing Intamin, but I don't think B&M always has to be the first option.

tks

Strata Poster
Normal Intamin rides work just fine, most of the time.. It's just the Accelerator coasters with their rather complex systems that have trouble. And the fact that parks can't look after their own cables.

marc

CF Legend
tks said:
marc said:
That is one hell of a long bit of straight track leading back to the station though.

That would be the lift up to the worlds first backwards drop bit.

Am sure the part I am looking at leads to the station. It has brakes and tyres, it goes along side the building at ground level.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
tks said:
Normal Intamin rides work just fine, most of the time.. It's just the Accelerator coasters with their rather complex systems that have trouble. And the fact that parks can't look after their own cables.

I reckon the technical side of this World's First element will probably be another Intamin flaw and have constant trouble. Could be wrong though.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
If the technology involved in the world first part of the ride is complicated enough, don't be surprised if it has teething troubles in the first year of operation. Until it's actually up and running, it can be difficult to know what to expect, and what to do when it goes wrong.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
I think there probably will be problems, especialy in 2010, but hopefully it won't be too bad, they spent two years designing it, so hopefully they wil have identified any problems they could have. The good thing about opening in March is by summer it will have had a bit of a run-in and hopefully be reliable. Look at Mumbo Jumbo. They opened it in the summer and that meant when the park was busiest it was repeatedly breaking down and the staff couldn't do anything.

Any way, just like to point out a few things about the ride I have noticed:

4092738608_c4753b121f_o.jpg

Here the helix is looking bare and open, but there will be another tree inside and two large ones hanging over:
03_090109_plan_layout.jpg

All the trees for the backwards section are in place already.
I believe this is conclusive proof we are getting full size trains of at least 4 cars:
4091967871_beb6d389b4_o.jpg

The switch, which is the bit with the metal strip down the side, is just a bit smaller than Rita's shed, which is big enough to house a full Rita train and tools and equipment for the ride.

This has nothing notable in, but I think it just looks ace:
4092738598_df0d4c6857_o.jpg

Finaly:
4091967863_0c883845cb_o.jpg

This is a picture of just Rita. It comes with the caption
While we were up there, we took an aerial shot of Rita too - look at that queue line!
This can be interpretted in a number of ways.
1. They just took a picture of Rita and the queue.
2. They are being sarcastic about the size of the line
or, hopefully,
3. They are cryptically telling us they are going to sort it out.

Images from Flickr are from early-mid October-Early November. Note the lack of catwalks on the lift when they were taken. Has something hapened on site already so they have to give us older images?

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Looks all very tight around the backwards part... does this mean it'll just be a dark section :(? Or is it going to be completely exposed?

Blaze

Hyper Poster
The helix? I don't know. The plans don't really help for once. When I saw it t'other week, I'd have said it would be covered, but looking at these pics, I'd say it would be open and exposed with themed walls in the trench. The concept images did show light shining down from above, so I don't expect it to be completely dark, maybe with branches, roots and other things partly covering the top and the walls, as if you were below ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.