What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Hmm, Surrender.

I kinda like it because it's different. But it would definitely need getting used to, I don't see how it would fit the theme though.

RCDB usually gets it's info first, so I'm guessing it's confirmed.

Tbf, this coaster forfills so many desires enthusiasts have been complaining about for so long. Major theming, secretive construction/marketing, trenches, worlds first, layout in the woods. But I can guarantee everyone's going to complain about it, sad really.

andrus

Giga Poster
Surrender is just as good name as Oblivion or Nemesis. But I would have preferrd if the ride was named after a real mythological demon, then it would've brought more depth to the story and theming! That's why I like rides like Dragon Khan and Katun, it feels like they have a story to tell me, a real story, not just something made up!

marc

CF Legend
Demon is a better name, but whatever.

Just sounds wrong "Lets go ride Surrender", "I want to go on Surrender next". Just does not sound right.

Surrender is like you are giving in, but with most rides the idea is to beat the thing or whatever the story is about.

nealbie

CF Legend
I think the premise of this ride Marc will be for the coaster to try and make you "surrender" to whatever it is that it is trying to do, but you ultimately beat it :p

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Remember when Rita came out, we all thought that was the strangest thing ever, but we've all got used to it. Can't imagine it being called anything else now.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Unless the world's first element is that you actually do have to surrender your soul to the demon and Alton Towers is actually the devil's playground and he is using SW6 to harvest souls into his new army of the dammed. Let's face it, he won't have much work to do on either Derby or Stoke to capture his first cities of dread, darkness and despair! ;)

SW doesn't stand for Secret Weapon, it stands for Satan's Work! :D

bob_3_ said:
Remember when Rita came out, we all thought that was the strangest thing ever, but we've all got used to it. Can't imagine it being called anything else now.

Nah, I still think it's complete and utter tosh :lol:

Martyn B

CF Legend
I still dont think it will be called Surrender, it sounds too much like a part of the slogan ofr surrending IN 2010.

I dont see enough room for a drop now, the beams in the red building are in the way. It could just be the camera angle making it look like that though

Well what else can it be?

And my word that lift hill is very shallow, also, bummer about a second lift :(

Brookes

Giga Poster
^^^Stoke is immense.

Anyway, seems like they've done a lot since I was there on Saturday and it looks like the track will be finished pretty quickly. Going tomorrow so will maybe try get pictures and say what else has been done.

jacoaster

Roller Poster
bob_3_ said:
Tbf, this coaster forfills so many desires enthusiasts have been complaining about for so long. Major theming, secretive construction/marketing, trenches, worlds first, layout in the woods. But I can guarantee everyone's going to complain about it, sad really.
I agree. I don't understand how so many people who call themselves coaster enthusiasts can dislike so many coasters.

But that's a whole other topic. I am looking forward to this ride a lot and so far I'm impressed by the plans, posters etc.. I'm still not sure if Surrender is the real name though, I didn't get that impression from the poster. It just doesn't seem the sort of thing you'd call a roller coaster.

melfin

Roller Poster
I think the second lift will take much of the pace out of the ride because it has to be quite quick as there are no kicker wheel on the crest of the lift or on the flat section afterwards as far as I can see.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
It's at the end of the ride and there to drag it to the top, so it wont kill the speed really.

I am more concerned about the first lift. As said many times over, it is very shallow, has a wide pull out into the drop, which is also very shallow. It needs to be fast and has kicker wheels, so should be, and they are clearly marketing this as an equal to Nemesis and Oblivion. The marketing suggests a majorly thrilling ride, and although a slow lift will give a thrilling layout anyway, a fast one will b eneeded to make this really stand out.

It doesn't need to be greatly fast, Oblivion has a higher top speed than Rita despite 2/3 of it's drop being in a tight tunnel which adds a lot of drag, and in the right conditions, Nemesis can get pretty shifty, too. This has quite a tall drop, even if it is shallow, so even if th elift is 15-20mph, that could still give a speed of 45-50mph.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Surrender... EPIC FAIL :lol:

Suppose it's better than Rita, I'm still wtf'd from that opening 4 years back. At least we have a huge clue towards the theme and maybe the worlds first...

If it does a "Saw", and makes this a 1.4 due to certain themes I will be pretty peeved to be honest. Roll on Surrender!

Slayed

Hyper Poster
jacoaster said:
I'm still not sure if Surrender is the real name though, I didn't get that impression from the poster. It just doesn't seem the sort of thing you'd call a roller coaster.
I agree. Unless RCDB have some insider knowledge (or Alton have confirmed it), they've jumped the gun a bit - the poster is ambiguous.

Surrender would be an odd name and sounds like a flat - but then Rita is an appalling name, so Alton have previous!

The station building is starting to look nice and big, I like :).

NickkyG

Mega Poster
Indeed, i wouldn't even be sure that they're 100% on what name they've picked yet, they're probably still fiddling with names and logos.

Do we actually know how long the trains are yet? And what the seating is like?

RobJackson85

Roller Poster
I also do not think this is the name - more of a slogan.

'Surrender to *insert name here* the demon of the dark forest in 2010' is how I perceive this.

Jools

Giga Poster
It's very fun reading pages and pages of people saying the same thing :roll:

There is one thing I don't get, If the train dropped into the hole, it would need you come up again so it could go down the hill right?

Status
Not open for further replies.