What's new

Things your favourite park could build to thrill you (as cheaply as possible)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It has recently been discussed in some threads how certain parks, chains - heck, whole countries' entire amusement scene - aren't exactly swimming in money. Times are tough, parks are less profitable, competition isn't what it used to, or previous thrifts of extravagant spending have put the company in a tighter spot. Either way, let's assume your favourite park has fallen into this situation, and investment budgets have to be scaled back. Not all the way to zero, mind you, but it means there won't be any Dive Machines, Hypers, or multi-launch force machines coming your way in the next few years. Or, as put by @Ben in one of the relevant threads:

Basically you’ll get stuff, it’ll just be poo.

But good things have sometimes been made on shoestring budgets. And there are a lot of suppliers in the amusement industry, some of them geared towards parks or chains with less money to spend than your average multi-gate destination resort. It is possible for a park to fence off an open area nobody uses and haul in something mounted on a trailer, and the guests might even end up liking it.

So how could parks keep you (or general thrill enthusiasts) happy without digging deep in their pockets? What's the least expensive thing that'd make you happy with the park's investment? Could it go all the way down to leasing stuff for a season or two? Or would you rather see them build nothing at all than something cheap, unthemed, maybe even temporary?

Discuss!

TilenB

Strata Poster
Well, considering this baby only cost 4,4m€ to build, I think we have one of the popular answers on our hands. Granted, construction and materials might cost more in UK (for example) than they do in Poland, but I think it's still one of the cheapest options out there.
https://rcdb.com/11034.htm

Another option for me would be asking Technical Park if they have a spare flat ride or two somewhere. These things seem mental!
used-flying-fury-amusement-rides0.jpg

PEGASUS-amusement-rides0.jpg

Will

Strata Poster
I feel like the last couple of posts have lost touch with the original post a little - probably intentionally :p

Some kind of high capacity flat ride - especially at Alton, who've basically removed ALL of theirs - I'm a bit out of touch with the flat ride market, so I don't know what's 'in' at the moment :p
My favourite park... would take a bit more thinking about, as they're not missing much.

nadroJ

CF Legend
In terms of coasters - I'm jumping on the Lech Coaster train. Yes, I haven't ridden it, but it's had glowing reviews and it looks pretty badass considering the price. Most other smaller budget coasters are gimmicky pieces of ****, this actually has some substance to it at least!

Then I think about other smaller things I like and it hit me - it's random stuff. I like weird **** like the bloody cactus drop tower thing at Fraispertuis City and that weird leaning scarecrow tower thing at Familypark in Austria.

Also maybe something like Hexenbesen? Like, weird as heck yes but I absolutely would 100% ride for the weird factor alone and I bet they're super thrilling and low priced.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Well, my favorite park is Tokyo Disneysea, which has never built anything cheap, ever. They spent $22 million on a spinner. I mean the place cost an outrageous $5 billion. Still, I think a ride like Lech would be ideal if Disneysea really was in a financial crisis. The main thing the park lacks is a good coaster, and Lech would certainly take care of that. Capacity may be an issue, but I doubt anything cheap would be able to pull the numbers Disneysea rides have. In real life, they would add $100 million for theming cause, well, Disneysea.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I'd be horrified if my 'favourite parks' wheeled in a travelling ride and just plonked it there! Id rather they not add a new ride for a couple of seasons and just maintain their current standard! And reply on a good marketing team to keep the park visible.
It depends what your brand is - but MY favourite parks are ones which are pretty well themed - so investments need to be in context.

I believe in moderate investment - desperately adding a 'cheap' ride isn't always the way forward!..... by all means get cheap hardware - BUT if you are a 'theme' park - then for god sake invest in theming it!

Also go for something unique - not just another 'sky fly' because they are popular! a good example would be soaring timbers at Canadas wonderland - which could be well themed

cw-soaring-timbers-banner.png

Also a project such as knights tower at Fantasiana - reasonably small park - modest budget, simple-ish hardware - all integrated with good theming

OR on a smaller budget with similar intent theres Thaolon at Bayern Park:-

OR how about a coaster like Wicked at Lagoon Park by Zierer

vaugc002

Mega Poster
Also go for something unique - not just another 'sky fly' because they are popular! a good example would be soaring timbers at Canadas wonderland - which could be well themed

cw-soaring-timbers-banner.png

Whattttt since when was there a permanent Air Wolf?! Love that thing. Would defo be a decent addition to any UK theme park tbh

DelPiero

Strata Poster
^Yep, love an Airwolf, I didn't realise CW had one tbh.
My fave flat is Talocan, so put an epically themed topspin with a good cycle and FIRE and I'm there. Also a sucker for a tall, low braking drop tower, preferably with ejector. Love Fabbri towers.