What's new

Theme Park Pet Hates?

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
My theme park pet hate is the use of floor bricks. I think they look hideous and add nothing to the atmosphere. I think a lot of theme parks miss the ball when it comes to flooring. They think its just something to walk on, when in fact, its a major binder for the entire theme.

Frontierland at any Disney park is a great example of how the terracotta coloured concrete path can tie a theme together. It feels a lot more authentic, especially with rail tracks running through them and other various wild-west simulations.

Transilvania at Chessington WoA and its new retheme looks nice, but the scruffy flooring is being kept. The is a great example of "thats just something to walk on". It doesn't tie in the atmosphere and thats something that bugs me about most parks in the UK.

Theming to me, doesn't just stop at a couple of buildings and some plants. The little details that we don't really notice, but are there to make everything as one, are the things that make it all seem real and pleasing to the eye.

So, what are your theme park pet hates?

marc

CF Legend
My pet hate is surface theming. You think you are about to get on a themed ride but all that's themed is the outside.

Also parks that don't look after their theming. There is nothing worse than seeing bits snapped off, bit not working and paint that's pealing off etc.

Lofty

CF Legend
Parks that think they're something they're not.

A park that's simply a THEME PARK with a hotel and automatically becomes a "Resort"...

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^That & ride ops that don't have a clue, could care less about guests & only worry about when they get to take their next break.

nadroJ

CF Legend
When there are things that NEVER open. I mean like, stalls and stuff. At Thorpe there's a Ben and Jerrys stand, but I don't think I've ever seen it open? Why have it there. Stop tempting me. I want ice-cream.

Mike

Giga Poster
Crap food.

If I MUST get a burger and chips, as that's all most parks seem to sell, then at least make them edible!

Merlin parks are especially bad for this, and apart from being way overpriced for what it is, their lattice fries they use are utterly awful and disgusting. Christ I long for the days for when McDonald's returns! :(

njn63

Mega Poster
-Ride exits that are way too long (Viper at SFGAm)
-Horrible park layouts that result in long trails to a dead end and/or hidden rides.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Hershey park's mother **** one train operation.

Build a MCBR already and get on with it!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Once again - SkyRush, Great Bear, Lightning Racer, Fahrenheit, Storm Runner, Comet, Sooperdooperlooper, Wildcat, Wild Mouse & even Trailblazer all use multiple train operation. The only coaster that has one train operation is Sidewinder & guess what - it's a **** ing boomerang! :roll:
One of the best things about the park is that there isn't a single MCBR in sight. :--D
Go to Mt. Olympus & you'll see what one train operations are really like. :(

bentcookie

Mega Poster
All of the people in line for a ride that "know what they are talking about when it comes to roller coasters and other rides in that park" but in reality, they are talking out of their ***.

For example: While in line for TTD, this "know-it-all" type of fella was trying to explain to his group how the "lunar magnetic fins are what propels the train forward" :roll:

I know a majority of the GP do not know jack squat about roller coasters and the like, but I still find it very annoying :?

madhjsp

Giga Poster
^ I think it's pretty entertaining, personally. What's annoying is when some other stranger who happens to be an enthusiast makes a big show out of calling their BS and correcting them.

The only park-related pet peeve I can really come up with is warm water fountains. Yeah, I know you want us to pay for cold sodas and all, but since just about every park will give you ice water for free if you just ask for it at a drink stand, why not just go ahead & make the water fountains cold as well? Some parks do actually do this, and I love them for it.

Jer

Strata Poster
I hate the people in parks, mostly because I just hate people. I hate the people the most that give false facts about rides in the queues. It doesn't entertain me, it just annoys me too much, and i'm not the one to correct him, because then I feel like a bit of an asshole.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
Most of my pet hates at theme parks do tend to involve people. I'm not a great fan of crowded places in general but tolerate it at parks.

Few examples are people who hover at ride entrances when they don't actually intend to join the queue, and people who stand way too close behind me in queuelines, invading my personal space.

Another thing that has already been mentioned is parks operating single trains on busy days. This happened last summer at Thorpe Park with Colossus, was so frustrating!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I am tired of the chains tweaking the season pass benefits to be less and less beneficial. Like stripping parking, discounts, etc.

Lottie.

Mega Poster
Merlin and their love for over-selling fasttrack (even on quiet days!)

Members of the public who try to film on ride without permission, which causes a delay if they are caught :mad:

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Lottie. said:
Merlin and their love for over-selling fasttrack (even on quiet days!)

Members of the public who try to film on ride without permission, which causes a delay if they are caught :mad:
Oblivion...

So.Many.Times.People.Take.There.Damn.Camera.On.That.Ride.