What's new

The Ultimate Cred Run – South UK Coast

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
A free weekend during a really hot June? Well what else is a coaster enthusiast to do but plan a huge impromptu cred run!

Like many of us in the UK, I have quite a number of kiddie creds that need crossing off, dotted along far-flung arms of the coastline. However, no other park inspires quite a groan as Flambards during planning. It’s been lingering there for years – that red spot on Coaster Count that’s just beyond reach of an ordinary weekend trip from London. This time, I thought, I’m getting the bastard! So a few of us got together and began to compare Excel spread sheets. Annoyingly, it soon became clear that between us, we needed to visit EVERY SINGLE South Coast park. Bugger! Well I thought, if we’re going to do it, we might as well go for it and see how much we can squeeze in. And so it was that the Ultimate Cred Run was born – no ordinary weekend trip organised by sane people who like to intersperse culture with creds. No trip for people who like to get their money’s worth at a park, or for people who hate being cramped in a car for long periods of time. Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, West Sussex?, err..those bits no one is quite sure where it is…here we come!

It’s worth mentioning that I am not the best at time-keeping in general. In fact, I’m kind of known for the opposite. But I like to think that I can pull it out of my arse when I need to and I was buoyed by the success of last year’s Gullivers cred run. With this in mind, I planned an itinerary down to the second, with nine parks over the Saturday and Sunday and a total of 17 potential creds. It would be an 18 hour round trip – this was going to require one hell of a playlist! In the end, there weren’t many takers as it seemed everyone was on holiday in June, but JayJay and Mike were stupid enough to come on board and some other CFers joined us along the way.

So Mike came to mine after work on the Friday and pretty soon we were escaping London M3-bound to collect JayJay from Basingstoke. Then it was the long trip down to our lodge that night in Newquay. As the miles and miles, and even more miles went past, we swapped towns for fields, people for sheep, motorways for single lane roads and civilised tourist attractions for those with ‘farm’ in the name. The ride went quite fast thanks to the traditional lively catch up and new cred discussions, the debate over what was and wasn’t a cred on the trip, JayJay getting his first ever view of Stonehenge, the inevitable pub stop, and me trying to teach Mike about the origins of indie music XD. Annoyingly, as soon as we hit Cornwall a fog came down and didn’t really lift until we retreated from Cornwall the next day; perhaps they were trying to tell us something. I haven’t been back to Newquay for years (not since someone tried to charge me a £100 deposit for a bit of grass on a camping pitch - I’ve never really gotten over that). But no time to admire our surroundings as we followed the old enthusiast’s adage ‘beds before creds’.

Morning came and another hour in the car brought us to the hugely anticipated Flambards. The park opened at 10am but I’d been reliably informed by Trip Advisor and other goons that the cred didn’t open till 11. So we planned to meet up with Dave (the poor lone Cornish goon – we feel your pain Dave) and have an hour mooching about the fabled ‘Victorian Village’ before it was cred o’clock. Sadly, a wrong turn and a stint behind a tractor meant we didn’t get there till quarter past, but that was still plenty of time for a park the size of Flambards. The man on the door seemed very happy to see some visitors and kindly took our (very blurry) photo on the way in.

hi5coew.jpg

The Victorian Village is inside a big building at the front of the park and is thoroughly and completely weird coupled with all kinds of terrifying. Lifeless waxworks loom out at you from recesses and children with dead eyes stare at you from tableaus that look like they are about to spring to life at any second. The sets are dark and there is no music but, instead, ominous noises and voices follow you round just out of hearing. This is all supposed to set the scene I guess, but the whole thing makes you feel like you’re inside a Christmas episode of Dr Who, before he’s shown up to save you.

fIwDIsy.jpg

ODkxNCB.jpg

ZmRiFzT.jpg

CLlTQqA.jpg

LUXt9wZ.jpg

Having wandered through the creepy as **** sets, the Victorian Village suddenly turned into a million different things at once – a motorbike museum, a concord replica, memorabilia on the development of aviation, and a cabinet of old-timey weapons. There were a few paths – we chose the option that took us via a life-size WWII trench into a quite convincing mock-up of blitz-sieged London, complete with destroyed buildings, air raid sirens and more terrifying mannequins. It was actually very good and I can image every schoolchild in 100 miles has been brought here at some stage.

Gd03ISR.jpg

atM1kcP.jpg

osVCSG4.jpg

Emerging from the weirdness then, we had a look round the rest of the park. There was the new pendulum ride, which Dave informed us had been transported here and constructed using only local firms. This sounds lovely, but perhaps might explain why it was still in pieces. Looks a substantial purchase though and is definitely a good move for the park. Would have loved to have seen that being delivered down the single lane road to the entrance! Suddenly, a cred was spied testing and we hurried over to the record-breaking coaster.

Z4N1mV8.jpg

OUZT7C7.jpg

Nt2ErzP.jpg

Now I know I’m supposed to be a lovey-dovey hippie these days and like all animals but honestly, if you were going to theme a coaster after anything, would you really pick a hornet?! What were they thinking? The cred itself was a nice way to start the weekend - a good length layout and some decent speed for a kiddie cred. Dave warned us about the breaks at the end but I still wasn’t prepared enough. This also completes my set of the Hornet, Zierer model. Yay! We ran back round for another go and the ride-op let us stay on for a third ride. After that, we said out goodbyes to Dave (thanks for having us, even if it was short) and hastily hurried off in search of the next park.

An hour away was Camel Creek. I’d already visited this park on the Camping and Coasters CF Live a few years ago and I wasn’t about to repeat the experience. It’s probably one of the most expensive visits out there at £20 entry for one cred! Back then the place was owned by Crealy and I can only hope that whoever it’s gone to puts a bit of investment in the place. I stayed in the car and kept the engine running while the boys hot-footed it to the very Cornish-sounding cred, Morgawr. They confirmed that the park was still just a cred and some sheds so I didn’t feel like I’d missed much. Just fifteen minutes after we’d pulled in, we were away again.

Milky Way was the other park that we visited on the previous Live and I remember loving it, thinking it was really kookie and that the staff were lovely. It seems nothing has changed as we paid our entrance fee and had a chat with the lovely guy on the gate who seemed genuinely interested, if perplexed, by our coaster counting endeavours. The quick stop at Camel Creek had put us back on track for the itinerary and we arrived bang on the allotted time of 1.45, only to find however, that the creds shut at 2pm for lunch. Opps! Oh well, we had scheduled a whole luxurious hour here so went off in search of food ourselves. First up, we stumbled thorough a Dr Who room lit up with an ominous green light. Then followed a room filled with Star Wars models which were on loan from a collector as a charity thing. How fab! Small UK parks have some of the weirdest things.

2FRhWsm.jpg

CHb7aa1.jpg

i6K81nA.jpg

wTYuPXX.jpg

BmfueEr.jpg

iZFV6T1.jpg

Onwards! We walked through a shed that contained the amazing indoor dodgems (and a side room with a farming implement exhibition of course) and came out into an area with a giant kids play area, the canteens and finally, the outdoor creds. I had a jacket potato with a side of chips because driving requires all of the carbs. We ate with one eye on the ride-ops and as soon as they finished their lunch, we stalked them out to the creds.

First up was the rather minimalist Zyklon (DPV, not Pinfari!) Cosmic Typhoon. It was fine, my knee caps will forgive me one day. Then it was time to ring the shame bell for Cosmic Caterpillar. We needed to get used to that sound as the shame bell would ring many more times this weekend before the South Coast was done with us. Here started a common theme for the rest of the trip of push starts and trains overshooting the station – perhaps we all need to go on a diet?

FFHmreK.jpg

oa4SFr6.jpg

We had a quick mooch over to the train viewing platform - couldn't help thinking it wasn't quite as exciting as Old MacDonald's M25 viewing platform.

SIMK7k3.jpg

Retreating from the continuing drizzle then, we hurried back into the dry. We couldn’t resist a quick whirl on the indoor dodgems which really are some of the best I’ve done. The cycle is long, it speeds up half way round and it’s in the dark with proper old school flashing lights and loud music. Dodgem heaven! Having royally battered each other, we were in good spirits as we entered the queue for Clone Zone. I had the privilege of a track walk on my last visit here but I had managed to keep the ride’s secrets quiet for the other two newbies. It was still just as amazing as I remember and I enjoyed watching the guy’s faces as the queue went from WTF? To WOW! to ‘haha what the hell, when did Nemesis happen?’ in two minutes. Part horror walk though, part children’s playground, part B&Q warehouse, this is, in my opinion, the best themed ride on a budget of them all. Viva Clone Zone! The ride itself is a bit short but it’s still fun in a home-made, kitsch sci-fi way. The boys were baffled as we slid/crawled out of the exit but seemed to still be smiling.

With that, we ran back to the car for the 15 minute journey to Big Sheep where Will was waiting for us. We were a little late but needn’t have worried as Will was chatting to the friendly lady on the desk about the current state of the cred which had been incapacitated due to rain. After a phone call and reassurance that it was about to be re-opened, we paid our entry fee and headed over to Rampage (or is it called The Big One? They seem slightly confused). There appeared to be a welly festival going on with brightly-coloured wellies all over the place. Not sure what the festival involved, welly throwing presumably?

HqjCZzC.jpg

We were walking up to the cred when, suddenly, a lady came running over and we thought for a moment ‘oh dear, are we about to be turfed out for not having kids or something?’ As it turns out, it was quite the opposite. She’d found out (thanks to Will’s oversharing at the front desk) that we were enthusiasts and told us we could all go get a refund on our exit. Amazing stuff! Thanks very much Big Sheep. The cred finally opened and we took our seats. It’s huge and green and odd and the signage has puns that Serena would be proud of. I’m assuming the layout made much more sense in the cred’s original location but it seems to stick out from the landscape here like a bit of plastic riding a wave. And just how long is that train?

MfwYtXg.jpg

bEwbsQE.jpg

0WS18a9.jpg

Anyway, it was smooth and fun and we were soon going down the leaving ramp when some of the other staff came over to ask if we were the weird coaster people who had come here just to ride this. News obviously travels fast in small parks! Overall, a very cute park and great for families with lots of humour and kookiness. Why does the arse end of nowhere get two amazing little parks right next to each other and we get crappy Old MacDonald’s Farm? Seems rather unfair. Refunds and thank yous later, we were getting itchy feet about making Animal Farm Adventure Park.

Pretty sure that the Animal Farm website said the place closed at 5pm but Will had rung them and made sure they were open to 6.30pm and that we could get in after the last official entry of 4pm. Fab. But it would still be tight and we ended up racing each other down the motorway pushing three figures with cred anxiety. The things we do for creds! Animal Farm was dead. We were the only people there so I’m kind of inclined to think they kept the place open for us (so I better not be too mean). Have to say though that the theming and ride selection left a lot to the imagination. There were some (rather too small for my liking) animal cages, a home-made roundabout mid-way through construction, a very kiddie water ride and the cred.

6FUjSgb.jpg

vGCIlJv.jpg

The ride-ops walked us over and opened up the cred just for us. ‘Shame’ rang the bell, very loudly across the empty park. Again, more friendly quizzing from ride-ops about just what the hell we were doing with our lives. We left them to go home to their dinners but the day wasn’t over for us yet.

I have had the no-so-delightful pleasure of visiting Brean three times now. Haven’t you all got the damn creds yet? Snuggled between Billing Aquadrome and Bobbejaanland as places beginning with ‘B’ I’d rather not return to, Brean unapologetically mixes the post-apocalyptic theme with Skeggy’s traveller vibe and ghetto market stalls. Having said that, it’s open till 9pm and near the Welsh border so I guess it’s a kind of unavoidable enthusiast crossroads. I wanted to re-ride the four-man bob (that only seats three) because, as I’ve established, I don’t like my knees and because I have a thing for indoor space themes. JayJay needed some of the other creds, Mike another, and Will wanted to ride the ghost train. Well in for a penny, in for a pound – I just went with it and did the lot. The rest of the creds were forgettable but the ghost train is still fab - thoroughly recommend it for the sheer number of scares that come thick and fast.

Mfsi8E8.jpg

gIi8Q0y.jpg

v0VCUQu.jpg

snZy5SA.jpg

EIAeqMK.jpg

TAK6cpE.jpg

xInghBq.jpg

And that was it for day one. There was a short drive to Western-Super-Mare and a hunt for the travelling cred that couldn’t be found in June, as well as great food at The Landing Light pub (must remember Marston’s chain is good) – harissa paste baked aubergine ummm. After saying our goodbyes to Will, we headed down to our Travelodge in Wellington, Somerset (strategically placed half way between Animal Farm and tomorrow’s Crealy in case we missed things and needed to backtrack). Sleep was very much welcome that night.

Next day, we were still enthusiastic having had so much gone to plan. We were ready to tackle all that the UK’s little parks (and Glastonbury weekend traffic) had to offer us. First up, as the sun began to shine, was Crealy Devon. Annoyingly, they had gained a new cred since my last visit so I couldn’t wait in the car like last time. Much better value for money than the other ex-Crealy though, with a large number of kiddie rides including the three creds. Twister was up first, the new SBF Visa spinner. I was a little impressed as I was expecting one of the titchy ones and it was actually a decent size and even had its own over-dramatic music in the queueline. What are those cars though? Up the hill was Maximus, the RCT-style, Roman train(?)-themed cred. Anyway, it’s quite cute and had a short queue. Then it was time to ring the shame bell once more for the indoor Shark Trip kiddie cred. The ride op taunted us but I just think he was bitter that the park had made him work in the ocean-themed building because he looked a bit like a walrus. Crealy was better than I remember it. I think last time, I had dragged round one of my non-goon friends and found the whole thing a bit embarrassing. Not much else of note to ride so we left Crealy behind for Dawlish.

BWlQKLo.jpg

aL6Vchx.jpg

PoXNHQj.jpg

l36jjw6.jpg

SVDVzgk.jpg

JayJay was getting excited on approach because Dawlish has a train track that runs alongside the seafront and he gave us an education about the Brunel Sea Wall. Fab. I’d never been to Dawlish before and it was very cute – a perfect little seaside town that hasn’t yet succumbed to the seediness that plagues most of the UK’s costal resorts. Totally coming back here one day for non-goon purposes. Anyway, Funder Park wasn’t on Google Maps and at one point I took what I thought was a wrong turn towards Dawlish Warren before doubling back into the main town. It wasn’t until after I’d parked up and spend £4 on parking that we realised the cred is, in fact, in Dawlish Warren after all. Boo. Back up the road and we found the cute little Funder Park glistening and colourful in the sunshine. On one tiny patch of ground they’d crammed several rides and they all looked nice and new and clean. There went the shame bell again for the mysteriously named Wacky Warm. A pint on it being a mistranslation when being made in China.

XSDNOVh.jpg

01wiiol.jpg

yxT6njv.jpg

One and done and it was time for the longest ‘inter-park’ drive of the trip. Traffic was not being kind, however, and we sat for a while on the motorway before finally calling time on Weymouth. If anything was going to get spited this trip, it was always going to be Weymouth. We’d arranged special entry at the next park, Adventure Wonderland, which usually only allows in adults with kids and we needed to be there by 4pm. Also, Weymouth snails is a very debatable cred XD.

Two hours or so later and we rocked up at Adventure Wonderland. I don’t know why but I’d always just assumed it was on the beach near Bournemouth. Err no. It’s actually inland in an odd place, smack bang next to the fence of Bournemouth airport. How odd. The cred is just inside the gate and after showing our emails to the lady on the gate and getting another free entry (thanks so much), we nipped in, got the cred and was out again in five minutes. No idea what the rest of the park was like. It looked ok if you have kids. The cred has a dog statue peeing up it because, why not, eh? :D

Sv2cahc.jpg

To95Ugt.jpg

That was supposed to be the end of the planned trip but we decided to see if we could cram anything else in just in case. As it turned out, Clarence Pier and Hayling Island didn’t shut till 8/9pm and were sort of in the direction home. It was on! After another pub stop, obviously.

I think that Clarence Pier is secretly quite fab. It doesn’t hold much weight as a pier, but the cred can be seen for ages along the drive in and makes quite the goon landmark on the horizon next to the Spinnaker Tower. Having got the creds already, I stood and watched the delighted faces of the boys as they rode yet another Pinfari and kiddie cred. The ride op tried to put us off the kiddie at first but as soon as we coughed up to being enthusiasts, he just laughed at us and told us the tale of some German goons he had once had visit.

aTPsl6T.jpg

t5yN91Y.jpg

zCeyacI.jpg

SeluUbA.jpg

Q3cUnPb.jpg

unty0zV.jpg

wifhQQA.jpg

e4SbwG1.jpg

PpjyYwo.jpg

And what a way to finish then with the ever delightfully bleak Hayling Island. At least it had free parking and a Super Dragon which are cute and have a tiny amount of airtime. The kiddie cred that I’d tried and failed to get on two separate occasions before had finally gone so I got to sit out on the creds again and be smug.

8ycgNLD.jpg

oCrRpFW.jpg

MYoxZOD.jpg

And that was it!

The long trek back was interspersed with Disney sing-a-longs, cheesy 80s music and cred-based car games, as it should be. A grand total of 11 parks in two days. Western-Super-Mare was closed and Weymouth was skipped but the bonus Clarence and Hayling helped us to beat our original plans and end up on 20 creds! Just six new for me but it was worth the effort and well, it’s not about the creds really is it? We all had a laugh.

Twpauga.jpg

So who’s up for the next one? Scotland anyone?

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
The only good shame is concentrated shame. Cram it all into the shortest time possible, then move on.
Good work.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I am genuinely impressed that you, Sue, of all people managed it ;) especially adding in Clarence Pier and Hayling Island in as well, because why not?!

Dawlish is fab, I assume, given your credule, it was grab cred and leave? If you get to go back, head down along the train tracks to the little red cafe and go down on to the beach, the geology is really quite impressive, I'll just hijack your report with a couple of photos to show you what I mean ;)

17903907_10211331539798626_8806527257017906165_n.jpg

17862833_10211331540878653_4649869865616319054_n.jpg

Very impressed with your cred whoring skills, great report :)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
That's fab. Geology <3
I'm totally going back to Dawlish with the family at some stage anyway, but that's just the icing on the cake.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Still bitter you got the kiddy cred at Clarence. Ride op when we tried was a right arse about it and just flatly refused.

I've still got three plastic tokens that I brought back with me though, so I know who the real winner is here.

Starting to think I've missed the boat on these major cred runs given most on here have a lot of the UK creds now but they don't half look fun.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Impressive/shameful stuff. I think this categorically confirms where you all register on the "Cre-Ho" scale... :D

jayjay

Giga Poster
Fab report, and thanks again for all the driving and organising (we had printed itineraries and everything). Exhausting, But a blast all the same. Much shame as there is in cred-whoring, it does take you to some places you might not otherwise think to go. Dawlish/Dawlish Warren was a lovely corner of the country that I'd happily come back to and I've finally seen Stonehenge (from the A303). Still annoyed that I looked up Hayling Island only to discover that both coasters were relocations I already had, from Gulliver's Warrington and Drayton Manor.

Will

Strata Poster
Wow!
I'm nearly as impressed with that report as I was with the time-keeping on the day, and for the record, as I could only find the energy to join you for half a day, and still ended up spending 5 or 6 hours on the M5, I'll agree with those calling you insane :)

We used to go to Dawlish on family holidays, so I know it isn't as nice as it used to be, but the coastal walk from the Warren to Dawlish is a nice one; we did that on Christmas day one year. I vaguely remember there being another cred there back in the mid-nineties, but alas, I've never been able to confirm/count that. Wish I could have been bothered with Flambards, as I STILL need the damn cred - but I know I don't have the energy some goons do, and the mileage and hours involved were a little scary.

Anyway; after a leisurely 10:00 alarm call (I'd been out with work the night before...), I made it to the Big Sheep around 2:45, roughly half an hour before the others turned up. I went in early for reasons of coffee, caramel shortcake and toilet, then got talking to the woman behind the desk; mainly so she didn't think I was a random stranger who'd come alone and invited himself in. I was a bit confused with their 'not running the cred in the rain' policy, but in fairness, she went the extra mile to make sure they could get it open to avoid a repeat performance of the spite a few of us had last Summer. The cred itself was fab, for what it was, despite the rather laborious loading and dispatching procedures - and I agree, I'd have liked to have seen more of the park or at least caught a sheep race, but of course, we had bigger fish to fry!

The less said about our blase approach to speed limits en route to Animal Farm, the better - but as I'd thought to email ahead (and they'd replied within under an hour; take note, Merlin...) they knew some goons were coming to give them £9.40, ride a kiddie cred and then vanish into the sunset, meaning it didn't matter that we were around an hour after their advertised last entry time, and essentially the only cars on the car park. It was one of the better wacky worms I've done, I'll give it that.

I don't really know why, as I've had the creds since March '08, but I ended up going to Brean. Probably because it was only 5 minutes away. I hadn't been on Astro Storm since it left Blackpool, and it was just as 'meh' as I remembered it. The operations were also shambolic; I clocked Astro Storm and Crazy Loop at between 100-200pph; Crazy Loop was dispatching one train about every 5-6 minutes. On the plus side, it didn't hit my head all that much; it will always confuse me how that ride has actually got LESS rough in the last twenty years; maybe my tolerance has just improved. Me and Sue went on Terror Castle, which was as fab and mental as I remembered it. I've tracked down and attached the picture I was talking about in the queue line, which is just as amusing as I remember it being.

We drove back up to Weston Super Mare, for food at the Landing Light (behind the helicopter museum) - I'd picked this pub, as it shared a car park with my Travelodge. However, even 4 drinks into the evening, I was still mocking Sue's insistence that there was a cred in Weston - the last permanent installment closed around 25 years ago - even by her standards, this was an impressively late arrival!

However, eventually we found out there may be a travelling cred, and Sue drove us around the rather silly town centre for a while before we gave up, they carried on up the road, and I went to Wetherspoons. I was tired and Wetherspoons was loud, busy and chavvy, so I got a taxi soon after.

All told, despite the fact that the weekend was mainly brought to me by the letter M and the number 5, I had a fab time - it's always nice when I get chance to catch up with the goons, even moreso when I can sweep up a few elusive creds and then go to the pub :p Cheers Sue for the organisation and invite :)

As I said on Facebook - I'm still missing 21 UK creds, 6 of which I'm too big for, 2 of which may well be closed, 1 of which requires a stay at a caravan park and 5 of which require a ferry. So, until next time :p

Attachments

• stonecoldsober.jpg
    stonecoldsober.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 20

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
That photo is even better than I imagined!

It's always fun to see the trip from someone else's point of view. Sorry we didn't stick around too long on the Saturday night - driving all that way was really taking its toll. I'm just holding on to the fact that I'll never (probably) have to go back to burdenous Flambards again.

I've just jinxed it, haven't I?

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
A lot of childhood holidays were spent in this corner of the country so kinda surreal hearing about them again! I'd really like to ride Clone Zone as an adult as my memory is hazy. All I remember is a batflyer style ride with lots of strobe lights and fog <3 and a scare actor in the exit hallway </3

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
A lot of childhood holidays were spent in this corner of the country so kinda surreal hearing about them again! I'd really like to ride Clone Zone as an adult as my memory is hazy. All I remember is a batflyer style ride with lots of strobe lights and fog <3 and a scare actor in the exit hallway </3

It's the budget theming that I love. They've gone all out and even added a mini walkthrough thing as part of the queue. It's fab <3