What's new

The future of Oblivion @ Alton Towers – Retrack? Layout Change? Demolition?

HandsUpPantsDown

Roller Poster
This is just speculation, but over the past few days I’ve been thinking about what Merlin’s plan could be for Oblivion in the coming years. With Nemesis getting a retrack 30 years after its initial opening (1994), and 20 years being a common design life for steel coasters, surely Oblivion (1998) is due some love soon, maybe around 2027-2030?

Due to the iconicness of Oblivion, Merlin’s love for dive coasters, and an existing dive-train-sized tunnel, personally believe demolition may be off the cards.

I would lean towards another B&M retrack, and even potential layout change (?!) making use of the existing drop and tunnel/pull-out. Or due to the general smoothness of B&M dive machines is a retrack not worth it? Although I understand the general fatigue of old steel coasters requires more intense maintenance. I would not expect the initial drop to get any higher due to height restrictions. Is there currently enough energy to complete a couple of additional elements before making it back to the station? I am unsure of the boundaries of the park, but there does appear to be reasonable space to the north, south, and west of Oblivion, some poorly sketched ideas for an extension below:

Oblivion.png

Another point to support a potential layout change into the ‘infield’ is the non-replacement of old permanent flat rides in X-Sector (Submission & Enterprise), or maybe Merlin is simply waiting to bring in permanent flat rides after Oblivion gets some work and these won’t be in the infield.

I understand Merlin have a 10 Coaster Deal with B&M and there seems to be a couple more unclear spots on the list, could Oblivion be part of this?

I would love to hear what the CF community thinks 😊

1679572286645.png

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Yeah as Rob says, this is way too close to the village to easily get through planning.

Even if it did, the station is pretty high off the ground so realistically you could add maybe one element, a Zero-G out of the tunnel maybe, but it wouldn't have the legs for much more with the brake run at it's current height.

Indy

Hyper Poster
I wouldn't expect much to happen to Oblivion. It takes up a very small space and is fairly iconic. I don't even think track replacement is all that likely to be necessary as it is not a particularly dynamic ride. If anything, I could see it requiring some foundation work in the tunnel depending on how those connections are holding up, but that would be about it.

spicy

Giga Poster
When the time comes and it's past its best I can't imagine Oblivion getting a full retrack like Nemesis to be honest, I think it will just be removed..

Maybe the larger B&M steel track on the Dive Machines lasts years longer than the normal B&M track does though?

Projektion

Mega Poster
I don't see Oblivion getting retracked like Nemesis. Not because it's not iconic, but because the track in the tunnel is innaccessible to be replaced without digging it back up.

The only thing I can see happening with it when it reaches the end of its life is the above gound sections getting scrapped, then the tunnel getting covered over.

rob666

Hyper Poster
No, the track was placed in the tunnel after the tunnel was created, there would be little problem with repairs that I can see.
The actual construction hole in the ground was enormous, ten times bigger than the finished tunnel.

Ethan

Strata Poster
No, the track was placed in the tunnel after the tunnel was created, there would be little problem with repairs that I can see.
The actual construction hole in the ground was enormous, ten times bigger than the finished tunnel.
Was it? I always thought it was placed in the open trench, tunnel frame built with it, and then buried?

spicy

Giga Poster
Looks like the tunnel was actually constructed first as here is the skeleton of the tunnel going in before any track is installed. Crazy how deep it actually goes

Oblivion3.jpg

More pics here:

rob666

Hyper Poster
Was there at the time, with the man in the silly uniform and dj bag trying to look mysterious by the fence.
Very very big hole, I couldn't see the bottom from the viewing area, and I'm tall! I remember thinking you could stick half a dozen BPB Wild Mouse rides in the thing, three deep, two across.
They made the hole, cut and covered with concrete through one season, then fitted the track after through the closed season.

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
Rip all the track out, stuff in a Mack big dipper stryker thing (with LSMs so ya don't need the lift hill height) running through the tunnel, plently of momentum left aftwards (or more LSMs) to faff all aound the rest of X-Sector back and forth.

"Smiler2" - job done.

/s

Archie

Mega Poster
is there any way if the track was replaced instead of digging up the tunnel, slowly feeding the new track down through the exit on some sort of makeshift wagon that straddles the existing track

Gazza

Giga Poster
If they were replacing it they would go down the ramp on the exit tunnel, cut up the old track and pull it out. No need for any wagons on the existing track

Then new track goes in from the low point working your way up. Eg crane pieces directly down the hole for the drop, and go down the exit tunnel with a telehandler and install pieces that way for the uphill slope.