What's new

The Forums Upgrade: Do you prefer the New CoasterFORCE or Old CoasterFORCE?

New CoasterFORCE Forums or Old CoasterFORCE Forums

• OId CoasterFORCE Forums (2016-June 2019)

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • New CoasterFORCE Forums (June 2019-)

Votes: 17 73.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Hey everyone, with the recent forums upgrade just finished I was wondering you all's opinions on it. Is it better than ever before? Were you nostalgic for the old forum and want it back? Or do you simply not care in the matter? Either way, I'm interested to hear everyone's sides.

davidm

Strata Poster
Well I think I prefer the "in support and not vulnerable to attack" forums.
Not that you have any choice in the matter and you shouldn't really be diss-ing the hard work that furie has been putting in to keep the site running! :rolleyes:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
And so it begins... Already ?

I'll be frank, I don't care. I liked the old forums, they came together nicely. There's usually a period of a month or two of tweaking before they're there. So this won't be the finished product, but it's pretty close.

However, we had to move and the jump we made software wise is huge. It's like the jump from Windows XP to Windows 10. So there are new problems found and old problems solved.

It'll be fun for everyone discovering what's changed and what new stuff they can do. It'll also be fun watching people struggle to do things they could before that have now gone ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
No complaints from me.

Actually - one minor complaint and it might just be me being thick. The "jump to new post" button seems to be AWOL?

Do you mean like it was on the old site? There's the "What's New" button on the top now and also a drop down from the forums menu on the top. Always there. It's not quite the same, but it's more convenient if you're at the bottom of a topic.

There's still a "Jump to new post" button on the mobile version though oddly...

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I'm really, really sorry @furie - I never intended for this poll to be dissing any of your hard work. In a way, it's quite the opposite - both Forum setups were designed by you, no? This might be a testimony to how much your work has improved over the years; at first I voted the Old Forums because I only thought the New Forums was merely a visual upgrade to the old one, but after discovering new features like that you can react to posts with emojis I'm leaning more on the New Forums side. But again, I'm sorry for all the controversy this has caused. I should've seen this coming, and it was entirely my fault on this. Please forgive me. ?

Last edited:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
@Kw6sTheater - Don't worry. I'm old enough and fat enough to take this kind of thing in my stride. I don't feel it's personal, just healthy debate.

I'm well aware that people don't like change and I'm well aware that you can never please all of the people all of the time. So it's fine to have this poll. The upgrade was going to happen no matter what, but feedback is good because it helps shape the next changes somewhere down the line.

So no harm, no foul :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Still bitter to have lost the black forums.

Kidding, looks great!

Do you know what? The template I really wanted was a dark theme one - was like stepping back 15 years. However, it had much more limited options (like background choices). So we decided to keep with similar to the last two changes. Sorry :p

Will

Strata Poster
I'm among the world's worst for disliking change and I'm sure Furie won't be offended to know I spent the first few minutes after logging in going 'Dear God, Furie - what have you done?!'... but then I found the customise screen, which has made it a lot more pleasing on my eye.

I guess a lot is probably down to the fact that I'm the only one who looks at the forums on an actual monitor these days :p

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah real talk, over all the changes in the last 13 years I've seen on the forums, this is the best we've had yet. Yeah I miss some of the versions from our hayday in the mid 2000's, but I'm always about moving forward as well and this is delicious.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm among the world's worst for disliking change and I'm sure Furie won't be offended to know I spent the first few minutes after logging in going 'Dear God, Furie - what have you done?!'... but then I found the customise screen, which has made it a lot more pleasing on my eye.

I guess a lot is probably down to the fact that I'm the only one who looks at the forums on an actual monitor these days :p

I also use a monitor :p

When I get a chance, I want to look at if I can do a fading background. So it'll be the background image (or colour if you've picked a solid background) which will then fade towards the bottom of the screen to the colour scheme you've picked. I'm sure I can do it with enough time. It'll sort out the fact that the backgrounds are shafted on most browsers too...

snes2

Roller Poster
It's nice!
Only problem I'm having is that you can't seem to jump to the last page when clicking on a thread on mobile.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Furie this weekend.

giphy.gif