What's new

The curious tale of Kraken and its VR exploits

DelPiero

Strata Poster
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...al-reality-kraken-coaster-20160926-story.html

Another Fool said:
SeaWorld Orlando will introduce Central Florida's first virtual-reality roller coaster next summer, retrofitting Kraken with headsets to give riders the sensation of traveling through the sea amid mythical and prehistoric creatures.

Riders on Kraken will have the option to don virtual-reality headsets attached to the roller coaster, covering their eyes and ears. They will hear music composed for the ride as they embark on a deep-sea mission alongside the fictional Kraken and other animals. SeaWorld won't say yet whether the images will be 3-D.

"We're developing sort of our own technology on how we're going to pull this off," said Brian Morrow, SeaWorld Entertainment's vice president of theme park experience design. "It's nothing that you've seen from other parks."

Kraken's changes will be among $175 million worth of additions that SeaWorld Entertainment is announcing throughout its theme parks. In Orlando, that includes remodeling the Dolphin Nursery and a new Food and Wine-style festival.

"We're really excited about this rolling out, if you will, all of these new experiences and having the opportunity to do it within one year," SeaWorld Orlando Park President Donnie Mills said.

The changes are being announced as SeaWorld has struggled with declining attendance and has less cash on hand. Last week, SeaWorld announced it would stop paying investors quarterly dividends.

Upgrading an existing ride can create a new experience more cheaply than building from scratch.

Theme parks have been slowly introducing more virtual reality. Six Flags has added headsets to some of its roller coasters giving riders the illusion of sitting in a fighter jet fending off aliens or in a helicopter fighting gargoyles. Universal Orlando this year has added a VR attraction for Halloween Horror Nights.

Virtual reality offers the smaller companies such as SeaWorld and Six Flags a way to compete "at a budget that is reasonable for them," Pacific Asset Management analyst Bob Boyd said.

They are "starting just around the edges to compete with the bigger theme parks as far as themed attractions," Boyd said.

"It clearly from a capital perspective is more efficient than ... building a ride from the ground up," Mills said. "What I think the point here is, we're looking at various options to bring differing experiences to SeaWorld. We want to make sure we're appealing to a very wide audience and a very, very competitive market. I'm not going to hide from the fact that yes, it's capital efficient, but that wasn't the driver."

Employees at Kraken will sanitize headsets after each ride. Mills acknowledged that will slow down the loading process, although he didn't have details about how much. Kraken may run more vehicles to compensate for that, he said. And more employees will be stationed at the ride to make the process smoother.

"I think the best rides you go on, you do have to wait a little bit because it creates anticipation," Mills said. "I think that adds to the experience."

New features in the queue will keep riders amused as they stand in line.

SeaWorld wouldn't identify the company developing the new headset technology or give the costs specifically for the virtual-reality experience.

I'm not a huge fan of Kraken, but knowing the earbashing you can get from some multiloopers, this is going to hurt.
There's also many many stupid comments such as...
"I'm not going to hide from the fact that yes, it's capital efficient, but that wasn't the driver."
"Mills acknowledged that will slow down the loading process, although he didn't have details about how much. Kraken may run more vehicles to compensate for that, he said."
"Virtual reality offers the smaller companies such as SeaWorld and Six Flags a way to compete"

Another decent cred ruined, enjoy those queues Orlando.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Meh, I'm over this now.

But if you really want to have a good public VR system, do what SFGAm does for ROTG now- turn VR off in the day, and only have the VR on during the actual 'Fright Fest' portion(usually 5 or 6-closing). If you don't want to wait all day, have intervals in which the VR is activated.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Tragic. And to think this could find it's way in to the other Seaworld/Busch parks. The second half of that article is the pits, the most offensive thing being:
"I think the best rides you go on, you do have to wait a little bit because it creates anticipation," Mills said. "I think that adds to the experience."

jayjay

Giga Poster
Pink Panther said:
Tragic. And to think this could find it's way in to the other Seaworld/Busch parks. The second half of that article is the pits, the most offensive thing being:

See, on its own merits, I kind of agree with that argument. Sometimes walking straight on to a ride doesn't give me much time to get excited. But as a justification for "oh no guys, see it's fine that you'll have to wait longer,"... no. What sort of wait times are typical for Sea World anyway?

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
It's the audacity, the absolute cheek. How dare they try and spin a positive from this, like we should grateful for them because their diabolical operations has "added anticipation".

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's tragic to me that they're aware of the capacity issues, yet are still going to do it. Like... why would you do that?

Not to mention VR is awful. :roll:

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yay, more cartoons on rollercoasters!

My thoughts and prayers are with Orlando residents right now.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Very disappointed about this, I'm heading to Florida for the first time next year and Kraken is/was one of the coasters I am most looking forward to getting on, really not interested in VR on any ride!

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Scott88 said:
Very disappointed about this, I'm heading to Florida for the first time next year and Kraken is/was one of the coasters I am most looking forward to getting on, really not interested in VR on any ride!
Just don't ride it with the VR then, it's not compulsory.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I would not like them
here or there.
I would not like them
anywhere.

I do not like them,
Sam-I-am.
I do not like
This VR spam.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Why is this stuff still happening?

Are we not protesting loudly enough? Seriously, what can we, as enthusiasts, do to stem this tide of VR diarrhoea that is threatening to engulf us all?
Emails? Petitions? Or do we simply not ride 'em? Boycott the bloody things? Please help.

Ian, Jerry - you know people, right? Park managers, family owners, head honchos etc.? Tell 'em! Tell 'em we don't want this sh*t. Enough already!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ People are telling them. I've read about various coaster goon Q+A sessions where park managers have asked how to improve VR and the response has been a resounding "get rid of it".

It'll die a death soon enough. The GP are all very excited about it until they ride it and realise it's ****, and that's if it f**king works. Staff hate it. HATE. IT.

At the moment it's a case of bandwagon jumping. A relatively cheap "new" experience in which the cash outlay can be written off in a couple of years max.

jayjay

Giga Poster
The whole thing reminds me of 3D movies. Granted I don't keep up with films much these days, but there seemed to be a period a few years back where everything had to have a 3D release and included shoehorning it into every other old popular movie too. A few years later, we're all bored and sales are falling, so it's just used as an incidental extra option.

Or maybe it's still all the rage and I haven't noticed.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
As long as it's cheap to provide, easy to market and doesn't get a broad, poor reputation, I don't see VR going away just yet.

Now, the price of VR probably won't rise significantly. A VR package might cost a fair bit to develop, but hardly more than a decent indie video game on the software side, and perhaps the equivalent of a hundred smartphones on the hardware side. Easily a cheaper addition to a park than most filler flat rides, for instance.

On the marketability side, the addition of VR is still a novelty. It can be sold as a unique experience, watching a movie complemented by the forces of the ride. It sounds better than it actually rides, but people need to pass the gates to actually experience it. And novelty sells really well, see for instance how Avatar became such a huge success despite being a really forgettable movie. Some VR bells and whistles can convey the idea of an entirely new, unique ride experience, on par with adding an entirely new attraction to the park (While costing a fraction of the price). VR sounds like such a good idea on paper that I can easily see it selling tickets.

As for the reputation... that's the bit we can actually change. But for that to happen, VR needs to gain a reputation at all. Currently, it's at the level of "that ride somewhere in Texas", where people have a vague idea of what it is, it sounds sick on paper, but the details are too fuzzy for people to care. Once VR becomes a more ingrained idea, only then can its downsides be spread widely and parks stop bothering with it.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
As well as VR, the entrance area is being spruced up. They've gone for more of a giant Octopus look:
DAiuUwIXoAA2kju.jpg

source
What it looked like before:
IMG_4736.JPG

Reactions: ECG

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Media day is Thursday (commercial filming on Monday) Got the invite but...eh, I gotta work Monday and leave Orlando Wednesday for my 2 weeks on vacation to KY, IN, OH.

SeaWorld will be shooting B-roll footage for the VR overlay of Kraken on Monday, June 12th. They are in need of ACE members to fill the trains for the filming. The filming will begin around 8:30am and should conclude around noon. You are more than welcome to stay in the park at the conclusion of the film shoot

We have been invited to participate in the media event for Kraken Unleashed. As you may know, Kraken Unleashed is the Virtual Reality overlay of the great Kraken coaster at SeaWorld Orlando. This is not the same event taking place on Monday, June 12th. The media event will be taking place on Thursday, June 15th with invited media, and ACE to formally introduce the VR overlay

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
At least the octopus theming makes more sense than vaguely confused looking papier mache Kraken of old. After all the myths of the Kraken are thought to be from giant quid sightings.