What's new

Texas Giant Media Day

RCF

Strata Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bopfi0g0HI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr1aTIHjz6U[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlfeDHrqM8E[/youtube]

Just got back from the Giant Media Day, I'll be posting photos, and videos and such will be up soon. I will give my review within the report so read on. Here's how it went....

Got up, went to band rehearsal and was picked up by my dad, but it was still drizzling quite a bit, and we were hoping it would stop.

dsc00477m.jpg

I am?!
dsc00476v.jpg

Here's what greeted us
dsc00344mz.jpg

WHat are we here for again?
dsc00346g.jpg

hey that's me!
dsc00345v.jpg

Good lookin' cowboy
dsc00428x.jpg

Wristband
dsc00478vn.jpg

Goodie bag
dsc00479nc.jpg

dsc00349r.jpg

That it did.....
dsc00351uz.jpg

It looks so much more menacing
dsc00398b.jpg

FAT JOKE?!?!?!
dsc00352ul.jpg

I don't care who you are, I love this sign
dsc00389d.jpg

dsc00353s.jpg

Through the trees drop shot
dsc00356k.jpg

Double up (delicious <3)
dsc00357a.jpg

<3
dsc00451gc.jpg

dsc00437i.jpg

LOVE the detail
dsc00425yj.jpg

From the queue
dsc00381vv.jpg

dsc00375nc.jpg

dsc00368o.jpg

dsc00372j.jpg

"I knew I should've taken the left turn at Albuquerque!"
dsc00365dx.jpg

dsc00418r.jpg

So we wouldn't have to go all the way through the queue
dsc00415d.jpg

NERDIN'!
0421111111.jpg

MORE NERDIN'!
dsc00407te.jpg

dsc00439iy.jpg

dsc00436ok.jpg

Big smile for awesomeness!!!!
dsc00480l.jpg

dsc00440c.jpg

Dirty humour in the gift shop? Damn right
dsc00439iy.jpg

dsc00452s.jpg

Fail artsy shot
dsc00447nh.jpg

THAT'S artsy
dsc00445r.jpg

OMG RUN!!!!11!!11
dsc00441fc.jpg

dsc00443l.jpg

dsc00462pq.jpg

dsc00472t.jpg

Woulda been better if it was zoomed in more
dsc00470e.jpg

Before brake run
dsc00446ho.jpg

B-Roll set up
dsc00449jd.jpg

Where the horn sounded
dsc00396kc.jpg

dsc00395t.jpg

dsc00394u.jpg

dsc00393w.jpg

dsc00392wf.jpg

dsc02749w.jpg

To believe that's what it used to look like.....
dsc02731n.jpg

dsc00475h.jpg

Had a fantastic time, I just wanna say congrats to all those who worked on this project, y'all did extremely well in resurrecting a sleeping Giant, and I commend each and every none of you, and I thank ALL of Six Flags Over Texas for the opportunity to come to this event and experience it firsthand. Also, getting to meet Tom (tomahawKSU) was absolutely awesome, Tom you're a great guy, fun to hang around with, and I'm glad we spent this awesome event with each other (Nerdin'! "Hello, my name is Charlie Sheen and all I do is win" XD). You guys rock!!!

Last but not least, my review....... (even though you'll see it on the video)

First ride: Get into the station, choose second to last row. Sat down in the MASSIVELY comfortable seats, and pulled down the hydraulic restraints (which were not bad at all except for the bars if you were in the front of the car). I could tell just getting out of the station that you'd be pulled along the whole ride. The lift was smooth, and was going up at a pretty decent pace. And then, once we reached the sign on the top of the lift hill, we literally just get pulled over for some MAJOR ejector airtime off the drop. I was standing in my seat the ejector was so strong. The pullout wasn't too intense but then the double up came and that was some good ejector as well, and then came the first overbank. Very smooth, pulled into and out of it, then the second overbank, same as the first, then came the biggie, the 115. Not bad at all, not as great as I expected, but still really decent. Then another pop of ejector right before the brake run (which started to bite throughout the day as they would reset everything every hour or two) and the drop of the midcourse was just as good when it was wood. Then you get some small ejector as you get ready to go under the structure twice. Great airtime here as well. Then there's kind of a relaxation point right before the tunnel, the S curve is nice, but then the tunnel comes, and I definitely was not expecting LED lights under the track, and the train was still hustling through the tunnel. The second one then had LED lights on the top of the tunnel. Still haulin' ass. And the third tunnel, despite having no LED lights, was great and was a perfect lead in to the finale, which gave amazing airtime just like it used to. All in all, the ride is just fantastic, and I think for me, it beats out Maverick for my third spot.

Ride Count: x10
Front (first two cars): x3
Back: (last two cars): x4
Middle (everything in between): x3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Dammit. I wanted to hate this ride, it looked so vulgar and ugly. However, with proper photos it looks excellent!!! Stop making me wrong!!! :p

RCF

Strata Poster
Sorry :p check the first post. And I apologize furie, I can't help it. Who could hate this ride? :wink:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Texas Giant Media Day (More pics added!)

RCF said:
Tom! aka tomahawKSU <3
No mention about meeting & getting to hang out with one of CF's finest? :(
Great report & looking forward to what Tom has to say. Wish I could have been there with you two. Damn them for inviting us so late on. Really excited to be riding it this summer now!

RCF

Strata Poster
Sorry, after taking a nap I'm re-energized so I'm adding a lot more to the first post. Look again :wink:

Also, from afar, there was a guy that looked like you from behind. Really weird. We also saw a chick that at first glance looked like Taylor.

Jer

Strata Poster
i've said it so many times prior, So smuckers! The trains are sexy, and that drop just looks....amazing. Hopefully I'll get down the Texas one day.

Snoo

The Legend
Lookin sexy tbh. Can't wait till I hit up Texas to enjoy it for the first time. Good job Tom and Chris. :D

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So I am in the process of uploading my 100 pictures, and driving 17 hours in the past 30 hours, sleeping for 5 of those, and I am TRULY exhausted, BUT it was entirely worth it. All that driving, lack of sleep, everything, was worth it. Seriously this ride is WTF amazing! After my first ride, I knew it was top 5, but I didn't know where it sat, now here is full review.

Got to the park around 9:15 and took some photos and met Chris. While he was riding, I was taking some pictures and trying to find the best spots, and then it was time for opening ceremony. We waited about 15 minutes, then they looked for a single rider and I jumped at it, third row from the back. Train took off, and it was smooth from the start, the lifthill was quick, and before you know it, the ride is over. In the front, there is great hangtime on the drop, in the back, you are almost out of the seat. The double up is truly amazing, the ejector you get is like nothing I have experienced. Amazing. The overbanks were awesome, and the only "bad" spot in the entire ride is there is a TINY bump in the first tunnel, but I only felt it like once or twice on my nine rides.

After all the driving, it was worth it. I still don't know where it sits, 2 to 4, but its up there. It is re rideable, but to an extent, if you ride it ten times in a day, your legs will be sore as hell. The ejector beats your legs up after a while, and my legs are bruised from it.

It was great meeting Chris, and it was just an awesome time. The park did a great job. Getting the footage was awesome, and it was a complete blast. Everyone SHOULD get down there and ride it if you can. I absolutely loved it. I'll get some photos up tomorrow after I finish work, but the majority of it will be on RCPro, with a handful of them on here.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Looks awesome guys! Thanks for getting there and reporting back on it for us! :p

One thing though, I can't see the reverse POV video... :?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Got it now! I have plenty of love for both you two! :p

Lofty

CF Legend
It genuinely looks amazing. I wish I could get a chance to ride it some time. That airtime looks incredible. Not to mention the rave tunnels <3

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe I'll let my beard grow out like that one of these days. :wink: :lol:

Snoo

The Legend
Shame Maverick couldn't keep their stuff up like that. I hope they don't fall into disrepair..