What's new

Terra Mitica PTR

Smithy

Strata Poster
DEREK, WE WERE ARRRFF TO BENIDORM!

So yeah, week away with a beach, decent weather and a theme park and having done PA in September decided we'd go for Benidorm this time. Swam with dolphins amongst other things whilst there but I'll spare you the details and just focus on Terra Mitica for now.

So, the park is visible from all around Benidorm having been built next to and in some places onto the side of the hills that surround the town. Bus ride up to the park takes you past several other resorts, and a wide open entrance plaza greets you similar to PA. Going past the ticket gates and what you'd assume was the park, we passed a show that was going on featuring gymnasts in front of Coltzans Shrine (Neopet namecheck for the 12 year old in me), first impressions when entering the park is that it's very clean, tidy and on an impressive scale.

12706_675218872513128_8290390575754712913_n.jpg

10363891_675218919179790_7427433580590193794_n.jpg

Walk round past a few pay-to-ride kids rides and then you actually end up at a turnstile where you enter "Terra Mitica" officially. We headed straight for Titanide, which was good because it was the only coaster open before 12pm. Queued up amongst some horrific, screaming, clapping, squeeling schoolchildren. A theme of our different trips that week. To be fair, although some queue jumped to chat to their friends they offered us back past and were polite. As for the ride, it was one of the better SLC's I've ridden, in that it didn't throw me about as much as Infusion did.

Headed over to Magnus Colossus but hadn't seen it running all morning, so on the way stopped for Alucinakis. Decent kids coaster, only one real uncomfortable moment which is the harsh brakes that throw your back clean into the plastic moulded seats. Having seen the woodie was now running (an hour and a half after the park had opened) we headed over to join the queue, passing more of the impressive theming.

10414376_675218985846450_5687327846643080212_n.jpg

Just before we boarded, there was a hold-up whilst a wheelchair was called to help a schoolkid who'd injured herself on the ride. Bodes well. Got on the train near the back too, which didn't fill me with confidence. Soon as you left the station you got a taste of what was in store, it bounces up and down and side to side on the flattest, straightest, slowest part of the ride, to the extent you can even hear it around the park. The first drop is good, but after that it's just sheer pain, pointlessly slow turnarounds and flat sections and just awful, awful juddering. Wasn't fussed on the picture but girlfriend bought it thinking our reactions were funny. Was only after getting it printed that we saw sat next to the mini Santi Cazorla the face (and hand placement) of the kid behind us.

10304643_675214265846922_747703807366021559_n.jpg

Went to get some typical theme park food, and waited for Inferno to open at 1. Easily managed queue, got onto one facing away. Such an odd experience, such a shame it's a short ride but it has massive potential for smaller parks to invest in. Went straight for a second go (the only ride we re-rode), this time facing forward, but on the final flip around it threw my head straight back into the seat and left me a bit dizzy. Not the greatest. Headed back down the park to get on any other rides we fancied, couldn't be arsed to wait for the drop tower to open. From all around the park you do get great views mind.

10363693_675219065846442_5439504819425351922_n.jpg

We went on the frisbee thing, I really don't like flat rides and after Flip Flop and Eagles Claw in the past month this wasn't much better. Short cycle too.

10300244_675219359179746_6247121153213132674_n.jpg

Midway through the park they have the utterly brilliant idea of having a narrow 'river' of water with jets, slides, water pistols, rapids, jacuzzi's, essentially they've turned a narrow open space into a mini waterpark. Decided to get the water rides done before leaving, so headed back up to the giant Tidal Splash type ride. Annoying Spanish school kids chanting and clapping through the entire ride left me with more of a headache than most of the other rides managed, which was impressive, as it was it was just a standard two-drop water ride with the odd cave for a bit of theming.

Heading back down to the log flume, we passed a giant building and figured why not see what was inside. Turned out it was their dark-ride shooting game, that was beyond belief in how well it was themed. Really has to be experienced to be appreciated. The scale of the theming around the park made it a very nice place to walk around, if not a bit sparse in places.

1798565_675219539179728_7998142223969826780_n.jpg

Headed back towards the log flume, which turned out to be a relative disappointment. The layout is bizarre, it does it's biggest drop right at the start, followed by a small reverse drop, and then finishes. Odd.

1012585_675219432513072_6740120095655618368_n.jpg

Headed down towards the exit, again taken in by the scale of the park.

10342775_675219492513066_6420278109439889923_n.jpg

But that's it. We spent a couple of hours there, couldn't be bothered with painful re-rides, and the biggest annoyance was that the main ride we fancied doing coasters aside, the observation tower you can see in some pictures, was in a part of the 'park' that isn't accessible. Well. Here's the thing. It's in a completely different park. When you walk through the main entrance plaza, to the right is the main entrance to Terra Mitica's turnstiles, and to the left is the gated (and presently closed) entrance to 'Iberia Park', that will feature the rapids ride, the observation tower and I'm not sure what else. No doubt it'll be an additional charge to enter, or feature pay-per-rides. Disappointing.

Overall, it's a very nice park with **** rides. Best way to sum it up. It just feels too sparse, although the areas look impressive there's very little in each of them.

And we also got spited by this back in Benidorm :(

10338824_675218505846498_6368351272718028768_n.jpg

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've always kind of liked the look of Terra Mitica, despite reviews tending to fall on the negative side most of the time.

There's just nothing else, in terms of parks, anywhere near it, and Benidorm as a destination in itself doesn't really appeal to be honest.

Lofty

CF Legend
Terra Mitica is going further down hill with each year it's operating. It won't be long until the cesspool closes.

Smithy

Strata Poster
It really is a very nice park, it just doesn't have anywhere near enough rides and the rides that are there just aren't enjoyable in any way. They've made a serious effort with shows and the like this year, several shows a day in each area of what looked to be decent quality.

I thought the same as you tbh Gavin before we went but were surprised by Benidorm, Mundomar is very good, and if it was open when we were there Aqualandia looks brilliant. Few other attractions and if you stay away from the chlyamidia infested strip of Brit bars it's genuinely quite a nice place.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It looks like it would be a good laugh with a few friends, but since I can only travel during school holidays it's next to impossible to get people to come with me.

I enjoy travelling by myself, but Benidorrm doesn't seem to lend itself to that so much.

I love Blackpool, with friends, but would never go otherwise.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Strange that you had to wait for rides to open as everything was running from the get go when I went last year. It's also a shame that the Iberia Park section was closed. Although even more barren than Terra Micita, it at least offers a few more rides to do - although for a small per ride fee. And when I say few, I mean few: the observation tower, a Mondial Supernova, a poor underthemed water rapids and a water dark ride called Ulysses' Rescue that's themed almost as good as Minotaur's Labyrinth (the dark ride shooter). So glad you didn't miss that as it's the best ride in the park.
You didn't mention the drop tower. Was that closed when you were there?

Smithy

Strata Poster
Aye Minotaur's Labyrinth is the one. We'd already walked past it twice and I remembered you'd said about making sure we didn't miss a couple of rides and figured this might have been one of them. It was, utterly brilliant.

Nah the drop tower was the last ride to open and by the time it did we were down by the front of the park and pretty much ready to leave. Not really a fan of drop towers either tbh.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
The drop tower is pretty meh, like most everything there. Just was wondering as it looks like I was very lucky during my visit to the park.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Nice report. It looks like a beautiful park, but as a lot of people have said including yourself, there's just not enough attractions there. And Magnus Colossus sounds vile.